Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Veelieve!!!
32,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Matthew Cronin

LOWELL, Massachusetts, April 24 (Reuters) - U.S. Fed Cup captain Billie Jean King says she will not invite Jennifer Capriati to rejoin the American team until the three-times grand slam champion agrees to meet her and iron out their differences.

"We have to sit down face to face like champions do with each other," said King, who has not spoken to Capriati since last April.

"She has to take responsibility for what happened and talk to me about it. I've known Jennifer since she's been 12 and I think she's working through a lot of things right now. I hope she does well," she said on Thursday.

Last year, King kicked Capriati off the team for not complying with team rules prior to their tie against Austria.

According to the captain, Capriati did make herself available for this weekend's tie against the Czech Republic at the Tsongas Arena.

But King instead went with a team that consists of world number one Serena Williams and her sister Venus, ranked third, as well as Meghann Shaughnessy (19th) and Alexandra Stevenson (26th).

By making herself available for Fed Cup, 1992 Olympic gold medalist Capriati would be eligible to play in the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

CHAOTIC WEEKEND

Capriati had refused to cancel a private practice with her father and private coach, Stefano, even though King had instituted a closed, team-only practice policy when the players arrived in Charlotte.

As a result, the U.S. was forced to forfeit Capriati's first match and ended up losing the tie 3-2 in a chaotic weekend, in which King and Capriati blamed each other, while Monica Seles, Lisa Raymond and Shaughnessy came to the aid of their captain.

"I obeyed the rules as I understood them and fulfilled the obligations I had to the team," Capriati said at the time.

"It is amazing to me that I am being penalised so severely for simply wanting to prepare as best I can for the Fed Cup and my other commitments."

Her team mates blamed the fiasco on Capriati.

"Jennifer was the one causing all the disruption during the week," Seles said at the time. "She didn't leave us in a great situation."

Shaughnessy said that it was worth taking the loss while standing behind their team principles.

"The bottom line is, when we came here, there were a set of rules signed for each player. It was Jennifer's decision not to follow one of them," Shaughnessy said.

"That's her decision and it's fine. But, if she's going to make that decision, she needs to know there are consequences."

King agreed that principle was more important than victory.

"Yes. That's why I did it," she said at the time.

King had expected to raise the Cup last year until the events in Charlotte. This year, she is confident in her team's chances.

"I'll always be sad about it," King said. "But you can either see it as a disaster or a new opportunity. It's a motivational factor for all of us.

"Every single player has come up to me and said: We've got to bring back the Cup, this is ridiculous and let's just make it happen," she said.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Billie Jean King seems like such a hypocrite at times to me .Like ok I know she did a lot of stuff for women's tennis but sometimes she just leaves me....

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Oh Bill, will you ever learn!?

If only I was Fed Cup Captain!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,109 Posts
So you don't actually have to play to be eligible for Olympics, just make yourself available? How many singles players does each country get to send? Last, Olympics will be on clay in Greece right ?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
I can't believe how ignorant this woman is :rolleyes:

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,438 Posts
LOL....I'm not defending BJK or anything, but I was at Charlotte during the fiasco and JC was disturbingly careless about her comittment.

Furthermore, it was echoed by Monica, Lisa, and Meghann (who rarely cause any drama on the general tour).

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I think King is doing the right thing, if Jennifer wants to play she has to confront the situation that occured by talking to her.

Anyway, I don't think it will matter with Venus and Serena playing ;)

Reactions: auntie janie

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I would love to know what really went on :eek: But anyways i mean i can look at it this way: Jen was tryin to put in a little more practice for the team ;) or She didnt obligie with the team rules so billy had no choice :eek:

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
At the time, I sided with BJK. Now, I'm not so sure. I don't really understand the logic behind forbidding Jennifer to see her own coach. I believe BJK claimed that the move was designed to foster a "team" spirit, but it could be reasonably viewed as an attempt by BJK to keep all coaching credit for herself, or to just stubbornly force a rule onto the players. A good leader must be concerned about the feelings of her followers.

I really don't see how Jennifer training with her own coach would undermine team spirit. Ironically, the act of not allowing players to use their own coaches ripped the team apart.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Like I said, the sooner Pamela Howard Shriver is Fed Cup captain the better! I'll get the win we need easy! (especially since I'd pick myself in the team)

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Infiniti2001 said:
By Matthew Cronin
LOWELL, Massachusetts, April 24 (Reuters) - U.S. Fed Cup captain Billie Jean King says she will not invite Jennifer Capriati to rejoin the American team until the three-times grand slam champion agrees to meet her and iron out their differences.
This woman makes me crazy! :rolleyes: I mean it is one thing to say that Jen has to meet BJK to talk to her about the incident last year BUT it is another thing to call Jen and ask her to come to a meeting.

Why did BJK only tell a newspaper or say in a press conference that she wants to talk to Jen? :confused: Isn`t she able to dial Jen`s number?

I think Jen would be there to talk to BJK but she has to ask Jen for a meeting. Okay, Jen made a mistake when she had her extra training with her father but BJK should be glad to see how serious Jen took the match against Austria. It was definitely too much to kick her out of the team.

Infiniti2001 said:
Her team mates blamed the fiasco on Capriati.
"Jennifer was the one causing all the disruption during the week," Seles said at the time. "She didn't leave us in a great situation."
Shaughnessy said that it was worth taking the loss while standing behind their team principles.
"The bottom line is, when we came here, there were a set of rules signed for each player. It was Jennifer's decision not to follow one of them," Shaughnessy said.
Both, Monica and Shaughnessy weren`t able to win! They can`t blame Jen for their incompetence. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Some of you Jen fanatics really take the cake. Jen knew the rules or should have known them since EVERYONE ELSE KNEW. If she couldn't abide by the rule she never should have agreed to play for fed cup. Its that simple. Jen broke the rules she suffered the consequences. The usa didn't win however there was no guaranteed victory with jen playing anyway. That imo is the height of conceit to think that jen equaled victory without regard to the opponents as if they were nothing!

Even with the current team victory is not guaranteed.

BJK stood up for the principle of the matter and didn't cave in to some first class primadonna bs.

Good for you BJK and to hell with anyone who disagrees.

Reactions: auntie janie

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
LOL at German Boy though you are right!

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Bright Red said:
At the time, I sided with BJK. Now, I'm not so sure. I don't really understand the logic behind forbidding Jennifer to see her own coach. I believe BJK claimed that the move was designed to foster a "team" spirit, but it could be reasonably viewed as an attempt by BJK to keep all coaching credit for herself, or to just stubbornly force a rule onto the players. A good leader must be concerned about the feelings of her followers.

I really don't see how Jennifer training with her own coach would undermine team spirit. Ironically, the act of not allowing players to use their own coaches ripped the team apart.
Hello, she didn't forbid Jennifer to see her own coach. She forbade the team from receving outside coaching because she wanted a TEAM atmosphere. You know where they practice TOGETHER because they are playing on the same TEAM.

The one and only point is that if jennifer couldn't live with this then she should not have agreed to play. Its that simple. I can't for the life of me understand why this is so hard for some people to understand?

And all that Credit to herself is just bs! BJK got tired of players bringing in coaches and partners and whoever else so that the whole team aspect just flew out the window with every player and their entourage doing their own thing with NO interaction with each other. Thats why she kicked the coaches and everyoen else to the curb. She explained all this. Fed cup is about team work not player factions.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
GermanBoy said:
This woman makes me crazy! :rolleyes: I mean it is one thing to say that Jen has to meet BJK to talk to her about the incident last year BUT it is another thing to call Jen and ask her to come to a meeting.

Why did BJK only tell a newspaper or say in a press conference that she wants to talk to Jen? :confused: Isn`t she able to dial Jen`s number?

I think Jen would be there to talk to BJK but she has to ask Jen for a meeting. Okay, Jen made a mistake when she had her extra training with her father but BJK should be glad to see how serious Jen took the match against Austria. It was definitely too much to kick her out of the team.

Both, Monica and Shaughnessy weren`t able to win! They can`t blame Jen for their incompetence. :rolleyes:
How do you know BJK hasn't already called jennifer and requested a meeting? you dont' know that you're just assuming.

·
Banned
845 Posts
Bright Red said:

In every sport there are rules that should be followed and we all know how bad behave Jen could be. She thinks no one should say anything to her, she wants to do as she pleases and that is not going to work for BJK. Jen is 27 and acts line a 5 yr old and you people make excuses for her. Maybe if she had listen when she was younger the things that happen to her would not have happened and she would not be having this problem now. She has no respect for authority.

·
Registered
490 Posts
leslie said:
Jen is 27 and acts line a 5 yr old and you people make excuses for her. Maybe if she had listen when she was younger the things that happen to her would not have happened and she would not be having this problem now. She has no respect for authority.
WOW! I'm amazed. You seem to have a fairly good idea about Jen. Can I ask how you know these things? From this, I assume that you know her, right? Because otherwise it's all heresay and frankly, quite worthless.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Girl you make me so mad! How the hell do you no what she acts like? Have you ever talked to her? You should not assume things like this Leslie! You aer such a hater! And will stop with the past already that is so old

1 - 20 of 181 Posts