Tennis Forum banner
161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
48,425 Posts
I went to see this yesterday. I think many tennis followers will enjoy it, as I did. Will Smith captured Richard’s mannerisms perfectly.

But my friend who I went with (who doesn’t follow tennis) said that he thought it was just a bit boring and not really “film-worthy”. Looking back objectively, he has a point. There’s not much for people who don’t follow tennis to latch onto.

Also I think I picked up a blooper. During the match scene with Sanchez Vicario I thought I saw members of the crowd wearing masks 😂
Oh God lol. I'll have to look for that. I'll watch on HBO Max soon. I'm skeptical because I don't like Will Smith.

·
Registered
16,020 Posts
I watched the trailer at the cinema recently. It was quite unimpressive but the movie might be good.

·
Registered
Henin, Radwanska, Hingis Court, Navratilova, Lisicki, Osaka, Kenin, Halep, Vinci.
425 Posts
I saw this film for free at the cinema as part of some scheme. It was top class. If I've paid I would've considered it money well spent. It is a story of hope over despair. Achievement against long odds. I think its appeal is wide ranging: from tennis fans, Serena and Venus fans, non sports fans. Everybody really. It will win awards and deserve them too.

• Love
Reactions: Chris .

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Is the best quote from 11 year old Serena: "I rather want people to be like me", also in the movie?

What a queen :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

·
Registered
33,400 Posts
Enjoyed the movie as a tennis fan, but the depiction of Richard, in particular, was fictional. The film also does not close the loop on the Macci story. He gave free housing, training, etc, and didn’t get paid per his contract. The Williams family dropped him the second a lucrative contract came through the door.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I saw the movie...

While I definitely believe the parents of today are far too soft and accommodating, just the same, I do not believe in glorifying parents that push their children like soldiers. Discipline yes, of course, to teach them that nothing comes easy, especially things that are worthwhile. Pushing them when you know they have the passion for it but laziness comes calling, sure.

However, Richard Williams has a well-documented past of being abusive, degrading, manipulative and essentially gaslighting his daughters into his world and vision. It seems Hollywood has once again glossed over the darker details in lieu of a pretty story. Also, lets not forget ever-constant infidelity and siring more than 20 kids by numerous women, yet only focusing on Serena and Venus, his business...

No decent human being does what he did to the ones you love. Rationalize it as you wish.

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Non tennis fans who know of the sisters will like it.

For us, it was a fairy tale. Richard and everyone else in his family wishes he was like in this movie.

I would pay good money to watch the movie from Oracenes side- maybe after Richard passes we will get that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Gave this a watch on HBO Max tonight. I enjoyed it. I thought the tennis was beautifully shot and it was nice to hear some familiar names, definitely very nostalgic. Will Smith is getting Oscar buzz but I honestly think the buzz should be going to Aunjanue Ellis (Oracene) and Jon Bernthal (Macci).

I actually think the movie is mistitled because while Richard does get a bit of a glossy edit I wouldn't necessarily call the portrayal of him overly positive. I actually found him extremely annoying and cursed at my screen a few times to tell him to chill.

I'm glad the movie gave Venus some shine. I know a few people who were disappointed that the movie wasn't more about Serena, but these young folks need to an education that Venus was first and the movie did that.

Overall would recommend as a general uplifting watch, probably 4/5 for me.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
I saw the movie...

While I definitely believe the parents of today are far too soft and accommodating, just the same, I do not believe in glorifying parents that push their children like soldiers. Discipline yes, of course, to teach them that nothing comes easy, especially things that are worthwhile. Pushing them when you know they have the passion for it but laziness comes calling, sure.

However, Richard Williams has a well-documented past of being abusive, degrading, manipulative and essentially gaslighting his daughters into his world and vision. It seems Hollywood has once again glossed over the darker details in lieu of a pretty story. Also, lets not forget ever-constant infidelity and siring more than 20 kids by numerous women, yet only focusing on Serena and Venus, his business...

No decent human being does what he did to the ones you love. Rationalize it as you wish.
Serena Williams' dad 'King Richard' was a 'serial cheat with up to 20 kids', daughter claims (the-sun.com)

Yea, apparently he didn't treat his first family too well.

That said, what he accomplished with Serena and Venus was an amazing once in a lifetime type thing. Movies do too often gloss over the negative stuff. .

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Watched it yesterday. It's amazing! I have a lot more respect for them than I did before

·
Registered
254 Posts
Keep in mind, Will Smith is a Scientologist and he, his wife and kids have a wired relationship with sexuality, that they talk about a lot in public.

So, I'm not surprised that these two families come together.

But at the end of the day, we all know Denzel Washington will win the Oscar in 2022.

161 - 180 of 185 Posts