Tennis Forum banner
141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,101 Posts
Watched it a couple of days ago. It's a decent movie. Smith was really good as Richard Williams.
What was going to the cinema during a pandemic like? Were social distancing and mask wearing in place.

I realise I’m going off topic here.. so I’ll also ask: was the movie worth watching in your opinion?

·
Registered
9,452 Posts
I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on that, but many at the time felt ASV's behaviour was problematic in that first match with Venus. Venus was like 14 years old, and only playing her second ever pro match. She was up a set and 3-1 on her before ASV took a very long toilet break - Sports Illustrated and the New York Times did articles about it back in the day, some suggesting they thought she had completely abandoned the match she was gone so long. I can't remember which paper said 'Venus got a taste of the tactics that are used in the pros.'

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
What was going to the cinema during a pandemic like? Were social distancing and mask wearing in place.

I realise I’m going off topic here.. so I’ll also ask: was the movie worth watching in your opinion?
Yes, it was. It may have not done well at Box Office but the ratings are really good! I prefer the audience ratings over the critics so RT is a good source.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

No distancing, but masks mandatory.

Yep, well worth a watch and I say that as someone that's not really a huge fan of the sisters, or took much of an interest in their story before the movie was released.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
It doesn't help that it's also available on HBO Max, that will eat into a lot of the box office revenue. Dune fell short of expectations for the same reason.

Also, leaving the "Williams" name out of the movie title was probably a mistake.
Yeah, and the only actor in the cast who is a box office draw is Smith, whose last non-franchise hit (and I'm including Aladdin as a franchise since it's part of the annual-Disney-live-action-remakes) was probably Seven Pounds thirteen years ago, lol.

But the film is winning audiences awards left and right and has an A in CinemaScore, which added to the HBO Max factor definitely means this isn't a The Last Duel-like bomb where the film buzz quickly disappears in spite of good reviews.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
It doesn't help that it's also available on HBO Max, that will eat into a lot of the box office revenue. Dune fell short of expectations for the same reason.

Also, leaving the "Williams" name out of the movie title was probably a mistake.
Indeed. I watched it at home on HBO Max. This isn’t the type of film I think is necessary to watch at the cinema, unlike Dune where watching it on the big screen with surround sound greatly adds to the experience.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Indeed. I watched it at home on HBO Max. This isn’t the type of film I think is necessary to watch at the cinema, unlike Dune where watching it on the big screen with surround sound greatly adds to the experience.
Yup, you really don't need to go to the cinema to see this one of its available online. To add to that, it's competing with classic box office hits, Ghostbusters and Avengers (Eternals). I think the online streaming numbers will be quite good though.

I went to the movies for Dune. The visuals and the sound mixing were some of the best I've ever seen. And even so, most people I know have seen Dune just on HBO

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,094 Posts
BOMBED at the box office.
Jury still out on that. BOMBED at the box office opening weekend (and this is also partly because of COVID and simultaneous availability at HBOMax) but this is Oscar movie which usually has very long leg throughout the award seasons all the way to February if it can maintains award chatter momentum, especially if Will Smith wins Best Actor or the movie itself wins Best Picture.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
I'm out of my free articles for the month unfortunately. 😂

But looking for more I actually found a tonne of them online - i'm surprised by how many were written just based on her first matches (LA Times, Washington Post, etc.), especially back then pre-social media. A good one I found about the specific ASV match is from World Tennis Magazine and actually features excerpts from Macci himself on the match.

·
Art & Futures
23,273 Posts

Should she play on the pro circuit :cheer:

Reactions: 'JCau98

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I went to see this yesterday. I think many tennis followers will enjoy it, as I did. Will Smith captured Richard’s mannerisms perfectly.

But my friend who I went with (who doesn’t follow tennis) said that he thought it was just a bit boring and not really “film-worthy”. Looking back objectively, he has a point. There’s not much for people who don’t follow tennis to latch onto.

Also I think I picked up a blooper. During the match scene with Sanchez Vicario I thought I saw members of the crowd wearing masks 😂

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I probably won't see it, for the same reasons I didn't watch The Social Network and didn't like Bohemian Rhapsody: I know too much about the subject matter and a watered down account selling a fabricated narrative, with events out of order and people acting in contrast to their real personalities, just absolutely annoys me.

Biopics in general have a tenuous relationship with the facts. They're not trying to tell the truth, they're trying to tell a story. Always keep that in mind as you watch it.
Biopics sell stories, not facts. That is why it is different from documentaries, and it makes more money.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I went to see this yesterday. I think many tennis followers will enjoy it, as I did. Will Smith captured Richard’s mannerisms perfectly.

But my friend who I went with (who doesn’t follow tennis) said that he thought it was just a bit boring and not really “film-worthy”. Looking back objectively, he has a point. There’s not much for people who don’t follow tennis to latch onto.

Also I think I picked up a blooper. During the match scene with Sanchez Vicario I thought I saw members of the crowd wearing masks 😂
TBH it bored me a little bit because I'm not a Venus fan. I wish they could have captured Serena's story more. Though I love the scene when Richard told Serena how great she was going to be. Made me in tears even it was fictional.

141 - 160 of 185 Posts