Tennis Forum banner
121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The movie (almost) completely glossed over some of the more problematic and toxic aspects of Richard as a person and is therefore a watered down, unrealistic and incomplete portrayal. He was abusive and violent toward Oracene, he cheated on her, he had 10 children with 5 different women and abandoned most of those kids and was incredibly racist and rude towards a lot of people and players.

I still liked some aspects of the film, especially given that I’m a huge Serena fan. Smith, Ellis and Bernthal who play Richard, Oracene and Rick Macci all did agreat job doing their mannerisms and speech and the two girls who played Venus and Serena actually played some amazing and convincing tennis. I wonder if they will continue playing tennis?

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,094 Posts
Just went home from seeing this movie. I loved it! I think Will Smith will win Oscars Best Actor this year for his Richard Williams performance and Kristen Steward will win Oscars Best Actress for her Princess Diana performance in Spencer. Watched both movies in successive weeks.

Sampras, McEnroe, Capriati, Sanchez Vicario made appearances

Roddick, Graf, Hingis, Seles, Kournikova, etc were mentioned.

Sharapova didnt get mentioned as this movie ended in 1994 when she was only 7 lol.

Reactions: Zula and Matmagix

·
Registered
9,452 Posts
The movie (almost) completely glossed over some of the more problematic and toxic aspects of Richard as a person and is therefore a watered down, unrealistic and incomplete portrayal. He was abusive and violent toward Oracene, he cheated on her, he had 10 children with 5 different women and abandoned most of those kids and was incredibly racist and rude towards a lot of people and players.
It's obviously intended as a pretty generic "feel-good" movie, where all the protagonists are viewed in only a positive light. Poor Arantxa is basically the only character that has a negative side to it.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,094 Posts
Reactions: Raiden

·
Registered
5,209 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I probably won't see it, for the same reasons I didn't watch The Social Network and didn't like Bohemian Rhapsody: I know too much about the subject matter and a watered down account selling a fabricated narrative, with events out of order and people acting in contrast to their real personalities, just absolutely annoys me.

Biopics in general have a tenuous relationship with the facts. They're not trying to tell the truth, they're trying to tell a story. Always keep that in mind as you watch it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I probably won't see it, for the same reasons I didn't watch The Social Network and didn't like Bohemian Rhapsody: I know too much about the subject matter and a watered down account selling a fabricated narrative, with events out of order and people acting in contrast to their real personalities, just absolutely annoys me.

Biopics in general have a tenuous relationship with the facts. They're not trying to tell the truth, they're trying to tell a story. Always keep that in mind as you watch it.
Sorkin didn't water down anything for The Social Network. That wasn't exactly a glowing portrayal for Zuckerberg.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts

That's a very watered down opinion.

There are lots of movies about historic events that are amazing and reasonably close to the truth.

·
Registered
21,804 Posts

I still liked some aspects of the film, especially given that I’m a huge Serena fan. Smith, Ellis and Bernthal who play Richard, Oracene and Rick Macci all did agreat job doing their mannerisms and speech and the two girls who played Venus and Serena actually played some amazing and convincing tennis. I wonder if they will continue playing tennis?
but could they possibly be that honest and negative for a film that is supposed to promote him as a major factor in the success of the two sisters, not without knocking the PG rating?

·
Registered
21,804 Posts
It's obviously intended as a pretty generic "feel-good" movie, where all the protagonists are viewed in only a positive light. Poor Arantxa is basically the only character that has a negative side to it.
oh so no mentioned of the hand? :p

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The family dynamics are glossed over a bit. It wasn’t clear in the film that Richard was not biological dad to the other 3 girls, and there is one brief scene where Oracene talks about one of his sons showing up and him not being there for his other kids. However the closeness of the sisters definitely shines through

·
Registered
636 Posts
I saw this last night on HBO Max. It was good, but not sure how Oscar worthy it is. I could see Will Smith getting nominated. I saw it on the small(er) screen and I can't think of anything to gain but watching it on the big screen.

·
Registered
55,750 Posts
I liked the movie a lot and I always loved the story of Serena and Vee.

The part with them watching Cinderella was so great since we all know Serena "my opponent doesn't have a formal education" Williams is always so humble :love:

Btw in case anyone didn't notice, the villain in this movie (Arantxa) was actually played by tennis player Marcela Zacarias.
why would Arantxa be portrayed as "the villain"? .. :scratch:

·
Registered
9,452 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Wow! So ASV “cheated” against Venus and took nearly a 10 minute bathroom break…insane! Venus was up 3-0 in the second then went on to lose the next 12 games.

The adversity they went through was crazy! What a story! I’d admit: Richard is a go-getter!

Damn. Venus signed a 12 million dollar contract with Reebok at 15. Thank goodness she turned down that initial 3 million dollar contract with Nike.

The ending made me cry. Watching those highlights made me think, “I think their retirement is coming soon.”

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
why would Arantxa be portrayed as "the villain"? .. :scratch:
I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on that, but many at the time felt ASV's behaviour was problematic in that first match with Venus. Venus was like 14 years old, and only playing her second ever pro match. She was up a set and 3-1 on her before ASV took a very long toilet break - Sports Illustrated and the New York Times did articles about it back in the day, some suggesting they thought she had completely abandoned the match she was gone so long. I can't remember which paper said 'Venus got a taste of the tactics that are used in the pros.'

ASV opened her press conference by saying "Before I start, I want to make a statement. I think 14 years old is too young to play professional tennis." And yet she was comfortably being beaten by the 14 year old before the bathroom break? I think some felt she was scared at the player Venus would turn into.

121 - 140 of 185 Posts