Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
I’m definitely gonna watch the Richard Williams movie because there’s 3 scenes showing him experimenting bisexuality with a married man, who first suggested that Richard get his children into tennis. Richard broke off the gay relationship with the married friend right before he got Oracene pregnant with Venus

·
Registered
804 Posts
I’m definitely gonna watch the Richard Williams movie because there’s 3 scenes showing him experimenting bisexuality with a married man, who first suggested that Richard get his children into tennis. Richard broke off the gay relationship with the married friend right before he got Oracene pregnant with Venus

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Well, even though his movies haven't been a success lately, Will Smith always produces great performance in biopic films, so I hope it'll be good enough for the tennis fans. Don't know much about Richard, though. Will be interesting to see it.

·
Premium Member
46,316 Posts
Should be something. Certainly worth a movie. I keep dreaming of a movie of the whole womens tennis story actually. So many things happened through that sport alone.

·
Registered
90,433 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
My worst fear for this movie has come true. I didn't want Will Smith to play Richard Williams.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I wonder how they will Richard's very controversial life marred with accusations of sexism.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
King Richard? Funny name, is his story similar to Richard III, The Shakespeare play? Wouldn't surprise me
Well we have had three King Richards and they all met a sticky end:

Richard I the Lionheart died of blood poisoning from an injury from a crossbow bolt in the siege of Chalus.
Richard II was deposed by his cousin Henry and starved to death on the new king's orders in Pontefract Castle after a rebellion to put him back on the throne.
Richard III was killed at the Battle of Bosworth.

I doubt Richard Williams will share their fate and I somehow doubt the film will focus on his sad senile old age and the drama surrounding his last marriage ( a bit more like Richard II's grandfather and predecessor Edward III and his grasping mistress Alice Perrers).

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
It'll probably whitewash all his other marriages and personal foibles and just focus on Oracene, Venus and Serena, and his fights with Rick Macci's Tennis Academy and/or racism in fulfilling the destiny of training two GOATs all by himself.

I know biopics are all the rage but they're still stories and as such they need protagonists, villains, conflicts, and arcs. Macci will probably be the bad guy.

The only thing Richard seems to be king of is not using contraception. How many children does he have, like 15?

·
Registered
Serena! Naomi. Coco. Simona. Iga. Ashleigh.
3,207 Posts
I wonder how they're going to handle all the drugs, lies, abuse, a farmer's dozen other kids rather than focusing on his "prophesy" that 2 (of his dozen+) kids who would turn out to be successful in spite of him.

Kidding! this is Hollywood, so let's shoot a film with Will Smith that puts a rosy spin on everything.
I see your point, but I’ve also noticed that Hollywood biopics don’t always put a rosy spin on things. For instance, movies about rock stars and other celebs usually go into lurid detail about drug abuse and other problems some stars have had. (ie. Ike Turner beating the hell out of Tina, Muhammad Ali and his 3+ wives, and the cultural response people had to Ray Charles taking Christian hymns and turning them into booty/sex songs, etc) Scandals help sell movie tickets. Even historical figures have been called out left and right in films (ie. Thomas Jefferson for creeping around his slave quarters and impregnating his slave girl, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Serena! Naomi. Coco. Simona. Iga. Ashleigh.
3,207 Posts
Should be something. Certainly worth a movie. I keep dreaming of a movie of the whole womens tennis story actually. So many things happened through that sport alone.
Yes! I’d definitely like to see such a film. The movie Battle of the Sexes mostly focuses on the match with Bobby Riggs. I want to know more about how Billie Jean was able to get sponsors for women and more details about how the tour evolved. ESPN did a good documentary about the Chris and Martina rivalry, and I wish they’d make more of those about women’s sports. Seles vs. Graf would be a good one, and also some interviews and details about the players’ experiences at tourneys would be fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Trolling much?

1 - 20 of 185 Posts