Tennis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made this a new topic in case some people stopped reading the old one because of what it has turned into.

A translation from the interview:
Question: A few journalists are happy that those arrogant Williams sisters fell off their pedestal. Have you heard from Serena?

Kim: “Not yet, but I don’t understand Venus and Serena’s negative image. They are my best friends in the locker room. I can talk to Serena about boys, music, fashion: everything outside of tennis. Whenever we go to an awards show, we like to gossip about who was wearing what. (laughs) At Wimbledon, during one of the rain delays, Serena was designing dresses. She was just making sketches. She showed me some of her creations and suggested designing my wedding dress. 'I’ll keep you to your promise,’ I responded. Another example: a little while ago she was at the ITF dinner in Paris with Elke, who was invited as the number one junior doubles player. My sister was so proud when Serena told her how trendy she thought Elke’s hairdo was.”
Thanks, Pinkie! :)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More quotes:
Question: There is another thing I want to say. As number one on the world, you can’t just say again after a defeat that some bush fire or your dog’s illness is more important. It makes me uneasy,

Kim: “But come on, it’s true. Take yesterday, there had been a serious traffic accident on the way from the airport to the hotel. Two people were laying on the road with a white sheet covering their faces. I told my coach: ‘When you see this, that number one ranking means nothing anymore.’ That accident, those dead people; I made me swallow hard. Life doesn’t change for me after the victory in LA.”
and
Question: Finally, now we can ask you in person, how is your relationship with Justine Henin? Is there a problem?

Kim: “ No, I don’t know what was published in the Belgian newspapers, I never read newspapers anyway. But there really is no problem with Justine. We just have different personalities. I am more relaxed, more open. We respect each other. Besides, Justine will be number one too. It is just a matter of time.”

·
Registered
710 Posts
Why will the questioner describe the Williams sisters as "arrogant" talk about unprofessional. I still don't understand why there is so much hatred by many of the media with regarads to Venus and Serena.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gweeny - As Kim said, she doesn't understand it either ;) Maybe as she and other players enlighten people, things will change??

I think another thing is that - at least at first - the sisters weren't open with the media and other players. In the past few years, we have learned of their love of fashion and what not, but at first they didn't share much. Even now we don't know much about their personal lives...

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
gweeny said:
Why will the questioner describe the Williams sisters as "arrogant" talk about unprofessional. I still don't understand why there is so much hatred by many of the media with regarads to Venus and Serena.
This arrogance thing´s SO OLD! It was only in Venus first year...after that they´ve become more and more open to other players.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Unless they were arrogant to the media which I doubt because when I read their interviews they appear jovial and respectful.
I don't agree about the we don't know about the Williams sisters personal lives, so that makes them arrogrant. I don't know anything about Kim except that she has a sister (she may have more) and that her father was a soccer player. I don't know anything about Lindsay. etc

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gweeny - I wasn't saying it actually makes them arrogant; I was saying that because the Williams sisters weren't open their first few years, people started saying they were rude, standoffish, etc. (which often go hand-in-hand with "arrogant").

·
Registered
140 Posts
gweeny - I wasn't saying it actually makes them arrogant; I was saying that because the Williams sisters weren't open their first few years, people started saying they were rude, standoffish, etc. (which often go hand-in-hand with "arrogant").

I bet The people who said they was arrogant are alway 's white as snow and find some kind of way to make people who are not like them feel Less than ! White people need to get a grip on life !

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Averylove - white people need to get a grip on life?? Perhaps, but some minorities also need to realize not everything is about race ;)

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
jenglisbe said:
Averylove - white people need to get a grip on life?? Perhaps, but some minorities also need to realize not everything is about race ;)
Easy for you to tell....when it ain´t your race who has been the victim of slavery and not having the same rights as others!

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,887 Posts
Its so hard to stay impartial but the media is really to blame for most of the animosity shown Venus and Serena. No wonder some players felt comfortable saying really nasty things when you see these kind of things asked by the media. :fiery: :fiery:

That question was sooooooo disrespectful. The guy/girl that asked that question might have been college educated but he/she is ignorant to his/her bones.

·
Keeper of Secrets
9,040 Posts
Question: A few journalists are happy that those arrogant Williams sisters fell off their pedestal. Have you heard from Serena?

Was this asked by a Belgian reporter??

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bandabou - I am not saying racism doesn't still exist; I know it does. That doesn't mean everything is about race, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.