Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Justine deserved to win this, Kim was nowhere

Did the heavy schedule of Kim, both singles and doubles, finally took it's toll? Was Kim too nervous? Did Kim peak too soon this Slam? Will she bounce back?

Please share your opinion

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I somehow think that Kim could not really gradually grow to the seventh match. She won her first matches so easy. Even the match against Maleeva was not a real test. And against Petrova, there was only a challenge in the first set.
Kim somehow had been training the whole tournament and then all of a sudden she had to play a real match.
Justine's draw contained some more tests. She had a tough match against Schnyder and Rubin was not easy either. She was then stretched to the limit by Serena. Once that hurdle was taken, Justine was in the zone and she could handle every one.
I think Kim will draw her lessons from this and bounce back. Her Slam will come as well. In the mean time, let's enjoy Justine's.

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
Kim also played pretty bad against Weingartner & she was horrible against Maleeva. But she still came through, simply because she wasn't facing any top players. The highest ranked player she had to beat to reach the final was Maleeva (15th seed :eek: ). Of course this isn't her fault.. Had Venus, Monica, Jennifer etc. played better, she'd have faced them in the QF, SF.
Now, the thing is: Justine is no Maleeva or Weingartner!! She's the best claycourter in the world and she played a perfect match today :) Kim on the other side, wasn't attacking, was pretty slow (just like in the Maleeva match) and her forehand was off. Big time.
Justine won because she pretty much outplayed Kim today. Let's hope Kim can learn from this and train enough to keep up :)

Good luck on grass Kim :cool: :D

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
who would want to win that title after the way it was stolen? seriously, I think she was smart enough to know that she'd look stupid hoisting that shit over her head.....she gave it to the player who really earned it......Now I am a fan of Kim's. I respect her class and I know that she would not have done what Justine did on thursday.

Reactions: Crazy Canuck

·
Registered
444 Posts
maccardel said:
who would want to win that title after the way it was stolen? seriously, I think she was smart enough to know that she'd look stupid hoisting that shit over her head.....she gave it to the player who really earned it......Now I am a fan of Kim's. I respect her class and I know that she would not have done what Justine did on thursday.
Do you really think that one incident cost Serena the match? :eek:
I doubt Kim would be 'giving titles away' :rolleyes: (and definitely not a GS)
She seems nice but I'm sure that ten minutes after that match she was crying her eyes out in Lleyton's arms...
Too bad for her that she had an off-day, Justine deserved to win.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think when you get to the top ten WTA players, they all have the skills and game to take out anyone. What brings the victory is how they combine their skills with their mental strength. AT this level, the match is very mental. You need to be in the right frame of mind to play your skills to the best of your ability. Justine lost many matches last year due to her mental fragility stemming from her '01 SF Roland Garros melt down until Amelia Island. This year we saw that mental strength getting stronger in Justine, from her determined expression in the semi's to today. She never wavered once. (Interestingly, Serena's 'stare' from her quarterfinal was nowhere in sight during her semifinal loss.) Kim was not there mentally throughout much of this tournament, it seems. And Justine had the mental advantage of owning Kim on clay, owning her in final matches, being the older player, and knowing how Kim has been folding in big matches on big points this year. Kim had to deal with knowing all this and knowing Justine had the real 'big win' going into the final (def. Serena) and the loftier, arguably nobler goal of winning this championship for her mom. Forget that they are friends, they've been in this situation of friend against friend before. At this moment in time, Justine had the stronger killer instinct.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
It was weird. It was almost like she knew she had lost the match before. She said before Justine was the best clay courter in the game...and she didn't know HOW to beat her.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
In her post-match interview, Kim said she had not been playing well all tournament long. She said she played better in Rome and Hamburg - and she also said she has been playing better in doubles during the French.

Kim then wondered if her heavy schedule left her flat. That worries me as it seems clear to me that it's nerves/pressure that caused her level to drop in singles here. If she is playing well in doubles and played well in the warm-ups, that tells me it's the pressure of being a favorite to win a major that got to Kim.

Kim apparently won't/can't admit to this yet, and she will have a hard time winning the big matches until she confronts her problem. She needs to learn from Sabatini and Novotna - and not repeat their careers (not that their had bad careers, but each could have won multiple majors had they confronted their choking).

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
In her post-match interview, Kim said she had not been playing well all tournament long. She said she played better in Rome and Hamburg - and she also said she has been playing better in doubles during the French.
so was this an excuse or just the facts?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Rocketta said:
so was this an excuse or just the facts?
It's facts and certainly no excuse, cause she ain't saying she would have won if she'd played better.

If you ask her I think you'll find she considers her Berlin SF against Capriati the best she played on clay this year

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
the facts, I watched several of her matches in the tournament and her usual depth and consistency were not there at all. I don't know why better I never bought the hype about her during this tournament. She looked unsure of herself and dropped two different sets to love (Maleeva and Henin and nearly lost one to Petrova). She seemed to have slow starts in several matches and was not confident. this was not the kim of Los Angeles or Melbourne.

But this was not the same justine. At one point in the match she had 21 winners to Kim's 3. Juju was hitting volleys and unreal drop shots which is something she had not done all tournaments. She was very concentrated and you could see that she knew when to go for it and when to just loop it back or slice it or whatever. Just clear thinking most of the time. Clear thinking=good shot selection and good footwork and strategy=winning tennis. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hey treufreund, you said that Kim played great (that might not have been your exact word) when she got herself out of trouble against Maleeva. Rather than what some (myself included) saw as the truth: Maleeva capitulated, pretty much measuring out the rope to hang herself with?

Kim was not pumped at all today really. It had shades of the Mauresmo/Williams match, but not quite that bad. She started off (the first couple of games) hitting pretty smoothly. Nothing devastating, but pretty solid. But her game seemed to evaporate and I think she was just unable to get a handle on Henin's game plan.

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
Hello?? I know its fact but its also an excuse to some. Oh I know it has to be said this way by this player then its not an excuse.

Well for the record, when its a fact I don't think its an excuse whoever says it. If a player is known to have played much better on a normal basis and for some reason they play for shite its ok to say that.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Well she never had any breathing room to quietly improve at some point during the match, because Justine was playing a high level throughout.
If you start with your game off, it's hard to get it going before the match is over

·
Banned
350 Posts
I think there's a possibility that Clijsters is nervous about becoming #1. I think she's feeling the pressure because she could take the ranking away from Serena in the next month and then she has a brand new set of responsibilities to contend with.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
henin was on her game and had a brilliant game plan. just like she did against Serena. she came and took the first set off of schnyder easily, same with serena and blanked kim. she beat rubin easily too. she was just on. kim tried to be aggressive and times but JUSTINE seemed to foil that and not allow by anticipating well, defending well and hitting unexpected shots especially high balls to the clijsters BH and fast or slice shots to the forehand. she took the initiative when possible and mixed in beautiful drop shots at the perfect times and ran very very fast to Clijsters shots and volleyed well. Juju served well and hit a lot of second serves curving into kim's body and backhand side. she mixed up the pace a lot when on the defense and hit loopers to keep the ball deep and then anticipated the next shot. she zoomed winners from both sides dtl and crosscourt. she did a lot well and kim had no answers really. kim tried to just get everything back but that did not work and when she tried to be aggressive juju drew errors from kim make her be aggressive from places on the court she did not like or from shots kim did not like.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I can think of many reaons why Kims game was off (hormones, doubles, bio-rhythms, stress, easier wins,boyfriend losing.....) with hindsight though Justine peaked at the right time. She took a break, started slowly and built her way up against good opposition. She then got the touch of destiny in a match where she dominated Serena initially, looked like losing and finished superbly - once you do that to the number one player you either suffer a letdown of massive proportions or you carry on winning.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Rocketta - Kim has been saying all tournament long that she hasn't had a good rhythm; just read her interview after the SF where she talks about her forehand being off.

Still, it was not given as an excuse. Kim was being asked about her level of play, her nerves, etc. She was commenting about how she played better in the tune-up events and in doubles here. She attributed it to playing too much, but I think it's due to the nerves/pressure she felt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts