Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kim has just vanquished Justine and faces a rejuvenated Martina Hingis. This will be Martina's first big test since her injury. Wonder who will be victorious? Hard to say but I feel that it is Kim's to win or lose. Got a feeling though Martina might squeak by.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Don't think Martina will be a piece of cake for Clijsters! I firmly believe Martina will upset Clijsters, now's the time to come back! There is only one way to find out: in a few hours at Homebush Bay :rolleyes:

Go Martina, do your best and you will make it! :) :bounce:

·
Veelieve!!!
32,584 Posts
My sentiments exactly T... If Kim keeps her unforced errors down , the match will be hers .
I wouldn't consider a defeat by Martina an upset. After all she is the higher ranked player, and frankly the pressure is on her considering how long it's been since she's had a win over a Top 10er :p

BTW how is that Sequoia running ???

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Agree.

I to also feel that the out come of this match, depends on Kim Clijsters performance. She played Hingis here last year, and the match was within her grasp then... but on the big points, her ue's got the best of her. I'm told she didn't look great against Henin , but that's to be expected, as Kim is still a young developing player, so running hot and cold is not out of the ordinary. We can safely bet that Hingis is going to be her old reliable, efficient self, yet and still winning this match is very doable for Kim.

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
"Rejuvenated" is definitely the word. I suspect that Hingis won't have any problems with Clijsters. Hingis seems to be thinking clearly and gaining confidence with every match. Though Clijsters definitely should have gained some confidence with the Henin victory, her Hopman Cup struggles have to be weighing on her mind.

I'm wondering what kind of game plan Clijsters has.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Clijsters' struggles in the Hopman Cup are not weighting on her mind, she is not that kind of player.
The "gameplan" will be an important factor for Hingis and not for Clijsters. How will Hingis deal with powerfull groundstrokes to the corners of the field? clijsters hits a lot harder then Testud, I don't think that Martina can follow Clijsters in her rhythm. Martina will need to bring some variation in her game, she needs to slowdown clijsters, she can't just return the balls and taking the risks of an unforced error or a winner from Kim. If Hingis can break Kim's game and if she keeps her number of unforced errors low at the same time then she has a big change to win.
Anyway, it's a great match to look foreward to.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
If Kim can return Hingis's serve well and she herself serve well then I think she will beat her. But Kim needs to keep her UE's down against Hingis. I have no idea who will take this match.. but imho Kim has to be high on confidence playing Martina becasue she beat her I think the last time they played.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts