Tennis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Kim needs to get a new coach so she can take a different approach in the way she plays top players. Watching the Kim vs. Lindsay match I noticed that Kim is not being the agressor, she is simply getting the ball back and waiting for an error. Davenport handed her those errors without much resistance which IMO gave Kim false confidence that her game was at a high level.

Her dismal performance against a "so called" tired Henin-H leads me to believe that Kim does not believe in her game. She plays too much defense and hopes that will get her over. Of course she will cream lower ranked opponents in early, but when she plays aggressive shot makers she loses.

Serena, Venus, and Henin-H go for their shots while Kim relys on defense. I think now is the time Kim get a new coach, because she will never win a slam playing this way. Maybe Brad Gilbert? He did it for Agassi, and now Roddick, why not Kim?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,204 Posts
harloo said:
. Watching the Kim vs. Lindsay match I noticed that Kim is not being the agressor, she is simply getting the ball back and waiting for an error. Davenport handed her those errors without much resistance which IMO gave Kim false confidence that her game was at a high level.

Her dismal performance against a "so called" tired Henin-H leads me to believe that Kim does not believe in her game. She plays too much defense and hopes that will get her over. Of course she will cream lower ranked opponents in early, but when she plays aggressive shot makers she loses.
totally agree :)
I dunno if someone like Gilbert can be the solution,but a well-experienced coach would change stg of her game,and make her more aggressive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,730 Posts
harloo said:
I think now is the time Kim get a new coach, because she will never win a slam playing this way. Maybe Brad Gilbert? He did it for Agassi, and now Roddick, why not Kim?
Brad Gilbert said himself he's "not going to get off the couch for just anyone" :rolleyes: @ his arrogant ass. Anyway, he's a tactician, and that's not what Kim needs. She can be aggressive (I know you're blocking out the tour championships final, but that's the way she beat Serena, by moving forward). To be agressive, she needs to be confident and determined.

I don't think Gilbert and Kim would jive anyway. Have you ever seen him play?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
366 Posts
TennisHack said:
Brad Gilbert said himself he's "not going to get off the couch for just anyone" :rolleyes: @ his arrogant ass. Anyway, he's a tactician, and that's not what Kim needs. She can be aggressive (I know you're blocking out the tour championships final, but that's the way she beat Serena, by moving forward). To be agressive, she needs to be confident and determined.

I don't think Gilbert and Kim would jive anyway. Have you ever seen him play?
I think Kim needs to
a. work her ass off like JHH
b. Have a couple tight...76 in the third/ 7-5 in the third wins against TOP players in big matches (ala Justine)
c. Get a new perspective on the game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,880 Posts
Keep in mind though, Kim's 'inferior' play was good enough to cruise to the finals of the US Open, rolling over anything and anyone in her way. She just needs time to learn how to deal with nerves on big occassions.
When Justine was being upset by the likes of Irvin and Kapros and couldn't close out tight matches last year, I bet many people wanted her to get a new coach too who could teach her to 'not choke'. Well, she apparently figured something out, even without a coaching change, imagine that! :lol:.

and harloo, how much do you think Justine had to pay the authorities to report that she needed IV fluids after the match with Capriati? I bet she even bribed the USTA officials to claim that she had a 'questionable' status. Pier-Yves won't be getting his Ferrari anytime soon because Justine spends all her prizemoney on buying off the media and tennis officials to fake injuries for her :lol:

btw, give it a rest. Justine cheats when she's taking a timeout, she cheats when she's not taking a timeout. She cheats when she's questioning calls, she even cheats by not questioning calls. She cheats when serving, she cheats when volleying, she cheats when lobbing...oh wait, maybe what she's doing is 'playing tennis'?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Like caelestia wrote, I think Kim has the game, but, not the nerve against aggressive, elite players, especially in the big occassions like majors. I don't know if a coaching change would really address this problem. She might consider a sports pyschologist, though.

More than one poster on this thread has vetoed the idea of Brad Gilbert as a possibility even if he were available. Pam Shriver interviewed him deep in the 3rd set of the Andy/David match yesterday and Brad had all but kicked Andy to the curb. Instead of saying some words of encouragement or objectively stating what Andy could do to turn the match around, he said he was very disappointed in Andy. Dick and Mary were in the CBS booth crying the same song. The only person who still supported Andy and had the "tennis" sense to realize that the match wasn't over was JMac. I think Kim's success has brought her enough hangers-on without her shooting herself in the foot by hiring a coach who would turn on her right on national television. Xavier never had a chance against Andy, but, his support box stayed supportive throughout the match.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,685 Posts
Kim doesn't need a new coach. and after his debacle with mary Pierce, Brad made it clear that he would think twice about coaching a woman anyway.

no what Kim needs is a good sports psychologist. her game is not the problem -- her head is. it needs shrinking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,685 Posts
jmp said:
Like caelestia wrote, I think Kim has the game, but, not the nerve against aggressive, elite players, especially in the big occassions like majors. I don't know if a coaching change would really address this problem. She might consider a sports pyschologist, though.

More than one poster on this thread has vetoed the idea of Brad Gilbert as a possibility even if he were available. Pam Shriver interviewed him deep in the 3rd set of the Andy/David match yesterday and Brad had all but kicked Andy to the curb. Instead of saying some words of encouragement or objectively stating what Andy could do to turn the match around, he said he was very disappointed in Andy. Dick and Mary were in the CBS booth crying the same song. The only person who still supported Andy and had the "tennis" sense to realize that the match wasn't over was JMac. I think Kim's success has brought her enough hangers-on without her shooting herself in the foot by hiring a coach who would turn on her right on national television. Xavier never had a chance against Andy, but, his support box stayed supportive throughout the match.
i agree with you about Kim but disagree about Brad. this is how Brad gets success -- by shitting on his players when they need to be shit on. and it worked didn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
tennischick, I've had charges who require negative reenforcement to motivate them. But, I respect them as individuals and dress them down at an appropriate time and place. That's usually not on national television. And, since the incident I witnessed happened deep in the third set of a five set match, I don't know how Brad's words to Pam motivated Andy to win the last three sets. Did you notice any coaching signals?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, I am just throwing out some suggestions because I really felt bad for Kim losing like that in the finals . This was her opportunity to show the tennis community her value as a no. 1 player, and again she could not show up.

Someone stated that Henin-H, and others have had mental problem with dealing with big finals, but I think differently. While these players went through mental lapses in earlier rounds, they did not make it to slam finals to only lose each time. Kim has made it too 3 slam finals. The first one is understandable, but once you continue to lose when you get to a certain high level(final) in a slam tournament it can wear on anyone.

Maybe Brad Gilbert is a bit of an asshole and egotistical loser, but he gets those results. A year ago Andy was just another player who was a walking injury with a huge serve. Although I despise Gilbert, and I don't think he would be the perfect match for Kim I say she should do something. Just a suggestion, because if she doesn't change something now she may well become the "new" Novotna. And that would be such a shame, because she is so talented.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,685 Posts
jmp:
clearly you don't know Brad's history. i have tapes of him reacting horribly when Andre was losing. i suspect that his feeling is that when his student sees that tape, he will then become motivated to play better the next round. i'm not saying that this is a positive technique. i'm simply conceding that this is how Brad characteristically works. it's no accident that his best seller was entitled "Winning Ugly". Brad knows how to be ugly.

also, while i agree that his negative comments (during the match) about Dickhead were in poor taste, they were not exactly incorrect were they? and if you watch Andy closely (an experience i admit i try to avoid), you will notice that he looks to his coach constantly. so while he may not be aware of the specifics of Brad's comments, i doubt that he would have missed the fact of Brad's disgust and displeasure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
tennischick, I'm familiar with Brad's tennis career, best seller and methodology. To some degree, I guess I can accept that all Brad had to do was look at Andy in a really disgusted way and talk about him like a sub human on national television until Andy was a gnat's eyelash from losing the match for Andy to get motivated to take the last three sets. If Andy considers that type of debasement the price he has to pay for his current success on court, I'm very happy for him and I'll be happy for Kim if she chooses to subject herself to that type of maltreatment in the pursuit of her goals. As you wrote, it worked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,307 Posts
Well for one alot of what Kim went through was not just choking. Yeah she gets nervous, but Serena at OZ just played some great tennis. The same with her match against Venus. Venus came back focused and really played aggressive tennis. Kim had no answers.

I think the only real choke job was at the French Open.


Anyway, the thing that Kim should work on is adding a plan B to her game. She is too defensive and an AGGRESSIVE player who is on will beat her the majority of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,459 Posts
Kim could come to live with the WS and work with Richard. I'm sure the door is open. LOL!!

Seriously though I never heard of Kim's coach and that's not a good sign. Normally you know the top players coaches, and I think that speaks volumes about the job he is doing because I never hear of what they are working on together or what strategies they have prepared for a match.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,873 Posts
Let Kim do what she likes to do. I personally think that her mental problem might best be solved by some small adjustments to her technique, nl. to her serve and forehand. These two strokes have a tendency to become weaker in stress situations. If she makes them stronger, they are less likely to fail when needed.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top