Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They played each other in 1999 I think and Kim had match points I think. I saw some of the match and they both played well. Serena was hitting some huge swing volleys and had to turn up the heat on her serve to pull the match out.

The match was a 3 setter something like 6-2, 4-6, 7-5.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Kim was up 5-3 in the third set. But you can't blame Clijsters, it was still very early in her career.

It was only Kim her fourth tournemant.

The next tournemant she played was her first tournemant victory.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
bcoene said:
Kim was up 5-3 in the third set. But you can't blame Clijsters, it will still very early in her career.

It was also Serena's first slam win...!!!

·
Banned
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you can blame Clijsters. This just shows she has problems closing matches. I saw most of this match. Serena was like Mike Tyson at the end but if Kim would hit 3 or 4 good serves the match would have been over...

Instead she fell apart as she normally does in grand slams.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
persond said:
It was also Serena's first slam win...!!!
She had already beaten Mary Pierce (2x), Monica Seles (2x), Lindsay Davenport (2x), Sandrine Testud (3x), Jana Novotna, Nathalie Tauziat (2x), Steffi Graf, Martina Hingis (2x), Jeniffer Capriati, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Yep, the problems remain the same. Twice already that Serena comes back against Kim in a slam and goes on to win the title.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
Kim was 16 years old and never held match points, it was just her second grand slam, she lead 5-3 not 5-1. Funny how you blame her and try to find anything to bash her, even when you don't have all the facts.

·
Banned
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kim&lleytonrule said:
Kim was 16 years old and never held match points, it was just her second grand slam, she lead 5-3 not 5-1. Funny how you blame her and try to find anything to bash her, even when you don't have all the facts.
That was 4 years ago. Sorry if I can't remember everything. Do you remember everything from 4 years ago?

Anyway the point it Kim has a Jana Novotna complex. Jana went on to win grand slam finally. Can Kim do the same? We'll see...

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
No I can't remember everything from four years ago. But I don't pretend to. I don't make comments on players based on this from four years ago, that I don't know everything about.
My point is there are so many people on this board who will take anything to bash Kim.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
It's silly that you make bad comments on Kim based on this match.

Kim showed in this match that she's a very good player. But Kim had almost no experience. Her only previous meeting with a top player wasn't close. Kim was praised back then because she almost defeated Serena. And it's a little easy to say that Kim just had to hit 3 or 4 good serves.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
anton said:
nobody ever I think beat so many top players so early than Serena...
Yep, Serena´s the fastest to defeat 5 top 10 players....pretty cool! Beating Steffi Graf for her first tier I, beating three former champions back to back to back to win your first GS. Pretty cool! Whenever Serena wins a title she does it in style!

Nasdaq´02: no.3, no.2, and no.1 back to back to back! Damn the girl´s good!

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
anton said:
The score was: 3 US Open Sep 12 1999 S Williams(7) - K Clijsters 4-6 6-2 7-5 .

I checked. Not bad memory...

I also think this is another match WHERE KIM WAS UP 5-1 in the 3rd set and still fell apart :rolleyes:
No, 5-3. She served at 5-3 and started with 4 straight serves into the net. Then from 0-30 she sprayed both Serena's returns into the stands. Kim was barely 16 at the time, and remained completely clueless through the following game. At 5-5 Kim got herself back together but it was too late.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
anton said:
nobody ever I think beat so many top players so early than Serena...
Exactly...it was a good match from Kim, but Serena was definitely the better player at that time in their careers.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
anton said:
yes kim was 16 and serena was 16 or 17. there was no real age difference. Also kim played the juniors didnt she? serena played no junior tournaments so kim shohuld have been ready...

if she wasnt then thats her problem...
Kim was 16 years and less than 3 months
Serena was 17 years and more than 11 months

See how Sharapova is doing a year and a half from now and tell me there was no real age difference.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts