Votes: 57 72.2%
  • Venus Williams, the perennial GS runner-up

Votes: 22 27.8%
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

· Registered
8,951 Posts
Betty said:
Why would Kim be under pressure?
If she wanted to win a major at all costs, she wouldn't be playing doubles. She knows it's very tiring. Maybe she lost already a major doing so. No one can blame her she enjoys playing tennis. That's what makes her so special.

I don't know any player who doesn't enjoy playing tennis. That's not exclusive to Kim.

Venus is the best hardcourt player in womens tennis compare her record to any other player. :worship: Yes I would be disappointed if she didn't win.

· Registered
22,221 Posts
Ofcourse it's Clijsters!

She's been to only one Slam final and got beaten
off the court and beaten badly!

Venus has four GS Titles and two Olympic Titles,
and has been to 4 of the last 6 USO Finals.
If both V&S were healthy and playing, then and only then would Venus have to prove anything, can she now beat Serena in a GS Final?
Venus has already proven she can win GS's and beat everyone except Serena. Of which I think she will in a final next year.

I was just watching "The Best Damn Sports Show" and Luke Jensen said that Kim's #1 ranking was a joke and she knows it. He mad fact that she doesn't have a GS Title and has losing records against the Sister's and her countrywoman. He also picked Henin-Hardenne to win with Serena being out and Venus recovery from her abdominal strain.

· Registered
1,981 Posts
Kim has been to two grand slam finals, showing how short memories can be. But kim obviously has the most to prove and this would be a good time to do it. However, there is going to be a lot of pressure on her.

Venus faces pressure, too, but not the same kind. Besides, since even her participation is in question, no one is going to be shocked if she doesn't win and many don't expect her to. She hasn't played since Wimbledon and that's a long time to take off.

It's also a long time for a muscle strain not to heal.

· Registered
22,221 Posts
TonyP said:
Kim has been to two grand slam finals, showing how short memories can be. But kim obviously has the most to prove and this would be a good time to do it. However, there is going to be a lot of pressure on her.

Venus faces pressure, too, but not the same kind. Besides, since even her participation is in question, no one is going to be shocked if she doesn't win and many don't expect her to. She hasn't played since Wimbledon and that's a long time to take off.

It's also a long time for a muscle strain not to heal.
Memories do tend to get foggy when a certain thing or subject offers little if any interest! :angel:

IIRC, Venus was out six months before Wimbledon of 00' and she beat the #1 & #2 ranked players in the world on her way to her first GS Title.
So, the fact that she's been out since Wimbledon is irrelevant where ever a Williams' is concerned!

And as far as Venus' abdominal strain, you'd know that if something like that isn't taken care of immediately and given the proper time to heal it can take a long time to recover from it.

Venus developed the strain like two weeks before the Roland Garros and shouldn't have played, but she did and made it worse. Not to mention that with only three weeks from the time she was defeated in Paris and the start of Wimbledon, it was healing but her hard hitting took it's toll on a not fully healed abdominal muscle. Thus, Venus has been out for over a month giving her body the type of care and recovery time she needs to be able to play w/o pain and obsolve the injury. We will see it's status next week.

So, until it's your abdominal strain,
don't presume to judge or be critical of how her body
heals and how long it takes for her to fully heal.

· Registered
8,951 Posts
"Venus faces pressure, too, but not the same kind."

Venus Williams is the best pressure player in the field. W/out a doubt. She is the best at defending big titles on the tour.

· Registered
2,221 Posts
Kim of course. #1 must not fail at anything. Toronto was already a disaster.

Justine & Venus both have something else to prove: who's the best next to Serena at the moment. So the sentimantal number 1, not the mathemetical no.1. They both beat Kim in their previous (GS) encounters. Venus is always the runner up to Serena and Justine is the only one next to Serena to win a slam this year. Interesting to see who will benefit the most from Serena's withdrawal.

· Registered
15,745 Posts
Gowza said:
they both have different things to prove. kim needs to prove why she is #1 in the world and that she can win a grand slam and win big matches. venus has to prove that she really is the 2nd best player in the world after serena (because serena is out she can't prove she is the best - yes kim is #1 but that was partly due to serena getting injured). but the problem venus has is that if she does win the us open then yes it proves she is the next best player after serena but it also shows that she has a weakness when playing serena and serena i'm sure will take advantage of that when she comes back.

they don't really have anything to prove, they got to where they are because of what they did that should be proof enough but that is just my opinion i know other people have different opinions (it's what makes this board interesting).
:worship:

· Registered
12,908 Posts
Kim has to prove that she is worthy of #1 by winning a Slam.
Venus has nothing to prove. Not many people think she can win (well maybe thats just wishful thinking but i get the impression from this board), and she knows she is able to since shes won it twice before. The pressure will all be on Kim and Justine bc people are expecting them to do well.

· Registered
1,981 Posts
You are all right. I promise not to question the legitimacy of Williams sisters' injuries again.

So, let's see if others will do the same.

Why don't we all assume that no one other than the player and her doctor knows the seriousness of an injury?

· Veelieve!!!
33,804 Posts
TonyP said:
You are all right. I promise not to question the legitimacy of Williams sisters' injuries again.

So, let's see if others will do the same.

Why don't we all assume that no one other than the player and her doctor knows the seriousness of an injury?
I can live with that. Infact, I love this mystery which surrounds Venus at the moment. All this speculation is kind of enjoyable :lol: :lol:

· Registered
22,221 Posts
Infiniti2001 said:
:worship: Have you noticed that "certain" people only question the injuries of the players with the last name Williams?? :rolleyes:
This board wouldn't be what it is w/o
those "certain" people.

Still trying to decide wheather or
not that is a good thing. ;)

Heaven forbid you touch
Saint Anna, Mother Monica,
or Sister Martina. :angel:

· Registered
1,989 Posts
There can't a true sports fan on this who truly believes that Venus has anything to prove. She's won Slams and beat everyone in the field at slams. Prove she's the 2nd best player...Didn't she do that just over two months ago when she beat the now #1 then #2 player while hobbled. Enough said.

· Registered
20,651 Posts
Serena y Monica said:
There can't a true sports fan on this who truly believes that Venus has anything to prove. She's won Slams and beat everyone in the field at slams. Prove she's the 2nd best player...Didn't she do that just over two months ago when she beat the now #1 then #2 player while hobbled. Enough said.
Can you be a bigger ignoramous? Just because I feel that in order for Venus to truly solidify what people claim to be her spot as the second best in the world after Serena, she would need to win the Open that I'm not a true sports fan?!?!?

Yeah go write a book on this theory

· Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I wrote earlier that I think everyone has "something" to prove. I mean, the lowliest qualifier wants to prove that they have what it takes to make it on the tour.

If Serena was in the field, she would further prove herself as the best of her generation and the best player of this year. But then, if she lost, it really wouldn't matter because she already has two other slams this year (unless Justine wins anyway).

Kim has to prove that she can be a true slam champion rather than someone who wins all the other titles but never peaks at the big show. She also has to validate a No.1 ranking that many people view as "hollow."

Venus has to prove that she is, results-wise, really the second-best player to her sister.

Justine has to prove that she's more than just a claycourter. (IMO, I think she only has to go deep in the draw to prove that whereas the other two really need a win.)

Lindsay and Jen probably want to prove that they're still capable of winning slams.

· Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Serena y Monica said:
There can't a true sports fan on this who truly believes that Venus has anything to prove.
Going into the US Open last year there were a lot of people who were slagging Pete Sampras because he hadn't won so much as a title (any title!) for over two years, despite having been the US Open runner-up for two years running. He endured a few embarrassing early round losses in the three previous slams.

His place in the history books was already set. He would already be regarded one of the best players ever.

But a lot of critics were saying that it was embarrassing that Sampras was continuing on. They wrote that he should have retired. Rusedski said that Sampras had lost his aura, was beatable, wouldn't win again or such whatnot.

Sampras wanted to prove that he had one good slam left in him. He wanted to prove Rusedski (and the like-minded) wrong.

And he did.

· Registered
8,951 Posts
cynicole said:
Going into the US Open last year there were a lot of people who were slagging Pete Sampras because he hadn't won so much as a title (any title!) for over two years, despite having been the US Open runner-up for two years running. He endured a few embarrassing early round losses in the three previous slams.

His place in the history books was already set. He would already be regarded one of the best players ever.

But a lot of critics were saying that it was embarrassing that Sampras was continuing on. They wrote that he should have retired. Rusedski said that Sampras had lost his aura, was beatable, wouldn't win again or such whatnot.

Sampras wanted to prove that he had one good slam left in him. He wanted to prove Rusedski (and the like-minded) wrong.

And he did.
Alright now hit us with your closing arguement. :eek:

· Registered
22,221 Posts
cynicole said:
Venus has to prove that she is, results-wise, really the second-best player to her sister.
IMO, venus has already proven that fact
results wise and play wise.

This year up to Wimbledon Including Fed Cup,
Venus is 26/5, having only played in 7 tournaments
of which in two she was suffering from an injury in the finals.

She's been in 4 of 7 finals,
two of them being in GS, something only one other player can claim.
Not losing to the same person twice with the exception of Serena.

She's beat the current #1 twice this year and the last meeting was where her injury flared up.

Considering the injury and how it has hampered her play for a good portion of the year thus far, Venus has more than shown she is only second best for the moment to Serena.

Venus has proven she is the second best player this year and that she can make it to slam finals and win slams!

The only thing Venus has to prove is that she can once again defeat her sister in slams. And since Serena isn't hear that can't be tested. However, hopefully a healthy V&S meet in the finals of OZ next year and then Venus will have something to prove.

No Serena in the USO,
means Venus has nothing to prove.
(Correction; we'll see if she can prove her injury is healed :kiss: )

She's already proven she can beat anyone in the top ten and do it on a consistent basis. Davenport is the only one who Venus' winning record against is just ever so slight, but that being said, Venus just beat her at Wimbledon and Lindsay hasn't beaten her since Oct. of 00'.

Go Venus!!! :bounce:

61 - 80 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.