• Kim Clijsters, the slamless WTA Tour #1

Votes: 57 72.2%
  • Venus Williams, the perennial GS runner-up

Votes: 22 27.8%
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
they both have different things to prove. kim needs to prove why she is #1 in the world and that she can win a grand slam and win big matches. venus has to prove that she really is the 2nd best player in the world after serena (because serena is out she can't prove she is the best - yes kim is #1 but that was partly due to serena getting injured). but the problem venus has is that if she does win the us open then yes it proves she is the next best player after serena but it also shows that she has a weakness when playing serena and serena i'm sure will take advantage of that when she comes back.

they don't really have anything to prove, they got to where they are because of what they did that should be proof enough but that is just my opinion i know other people have different opinions (it's what makes this board interesting).

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"The Serena Factor"

VS Fan said:
Kim, of course has the MOST to prove.

Venus ahs been there, done that!
Yes, Venus has been there. But she was last there 2 years ago. And, with the exception of the Zvonareva loss (and, if you want to throw her in, Monica), it was always Serena who eliminated her on the big stage. She has a grand total of ONE title this year. How people still rank her #2 in their minds based on that and some slam finals is beyond me.

If she wins the USO, she stamps her authority on, at least in "Slam-ist" minds (aka "Slams > everything else), the #2 spot of the year behind Serena.

As for Kim, it's not that Serena was the great barrier between her and a GS trophy. She lost horribly to Justine at RG and a hobbled Venus at Wimbledon.

The great obstacle for Venus is not in the draw. Should she lose, it just makes it harder for people to argue that she has been better than the Belgians this year.

(note: this is not necessarily what I believe. I'm sick right now and just want to make non-flame argument.)

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Naldo said:
LMFAO at this poll. what on earth does Venus have to proove, that she's injured??????
Well, there's a legion of fans (and critics) who say that a Venus at [insert low percentage number here] could beat practically anyone.

Heck, Wimbledon SF vs. Clijsters.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Kim has the most to prove. You´re world no.1 aight?! show it and prove it now! Start beating other players of the top 5 besides Lindsay. Raise to the challenge.

·
Chionophile
40,193 Posts
Actually, I've seen MORE people saying that Venus will the US Open definitely than Kim. In fact, I haven't seen anyone say Kim will win definitely.

Moreover, I thought Kim was just some girl that's just there to warm the queen's seat while she's away? What then has she got to prove? LOL

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Obviouslyl Kim has more to prove than Venus; Venus has won the event twice, Kim has yet to go past the quarterfinals.

·
HAND SCRAPED
6,694 Posts
Definately Kim. Theres so much talk of her no slam-ness, and without the strongest player playing, she has to have a good showing.

At the Aus, lost a big lead in the semi.
At the French, lost to a player she more often than not wins against, and who she beat at the same tourney 2 years before
At W'don, played against an injured Venus

I think each time as it happened people were saying "Kim had better take this chance cos with both sisters healthy, she won't have much oppourtunity at slams"... and each chance was taken away. One more is presented here with Serena not playing and with Venus in the other half.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Kim without a doubt

·
Registered
20,539 Posts
What's Kim supposed to prove? That's she's number 2?!?! If she wins people will still dub her second best after Serena or even if she wins this tournament almost everyone will say that it's only because Serena is not there and because Venus is injured. So what exactly, do you want her to do?!? Almost all Williams fan will not fully honor this win because there are too many factors getting in the way.

Venus has more to prove, that she is the second best player in the world after Serena. If she enters this tournament it's because she knows she can win it. Why else would she enter unless she feels she can win the tournament now that Serena is not in the picture? For someone who considers the #2 player in the world, entering the tournament without the mindset that she can win is abysmall. So should she enter this tournament I think it is on the basis that she can win. So this whole "she's injured and there's only so much she can do" is horse piss.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
shap_half said:
What's Kim supposed to prove? That's she's number 2?!?! If she wins people will still dub her second best after Serena or even if she wins this tournament almost everyone will say that it's only because Serena is not there and because Venus is injured. So what exactly, do you want her to do?!? Almost all Williams fan will not fully honor this win because there are too many factors getting in the way.

Venus has more to prove, that she is the second best player in the world after Serena. If she enters this tournament it's because she knows she can win it. Why else would she enter unless she feels she can win the tournament now that Serena is not in the picture? For someone who considers the #2 player in the world, entering the tournament without the mindset that she can win is abysmall. So should she enter this tournament I think it is on the basis that she can win. So this whole "she's injured and there's only so much she can do" is horse piss.
Someone who has won this tournament twice has nothing to prove as opposed to someone who has never gotten past the quarterfinals and has yet to win a Grand Slam singles title.

·
Chionophile
40,193 Posts
lizchris said:
Someone who has won this tournament twice has nothing to prove as opposed to someone who has never gotten past the quarterfinals and has yet to win a Grand Slam singles title.
It's really funny how you guys turn these situations around to suit your arguments.

Of course Kim has more to prove in career, at every slam, Venus has achieved more. WE ALREADY KNOW THAT.

The initial point about proving comes from the fact that since there was NO Serena at the US Open, who should win it. Who is most likely to win it. And there you can't argue that it's Venus since she's lost 5 slams to her. Kim has lost to Justine and Venus in her last two slams, what's she got to prove? Even if there's no Serena, somebody can easily beat her.

But Venus has to prove that without Serena, she can easily win this slam, otherwise, we all know that she's not winning GS, not because of Serena, but because her overall level of play has fallen since two years ago.

If you guys want to switch words and sentences around, and play the grammar game and live in denial, go ahead.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Kim still has to prove me wrong. i predicted that she wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of becoming #1. so far she has not been able to. but we all know that Venus handled that pressure just fine...

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Kim!

She lost to a crunched over, barely able to walk Venus at Wimbledon.

She lost BADLY!!!!! 6-1 in the third. Kim needs to show she's a champion inspite of everyone elses problems.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.