Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are from Belgium, what makes you root for Kim instead or Justine or the other way around? Does it depend on the area where you come from? Or whether you speak French or Flemish?

As a Venus fan, I cannot help liking Serena too. Venus is my favorite but I like Serena too. I can't imagine many Williams fans liking one sister and disliking the other one, but ... one never knows.

Anyway, does it work like that with the two Belgians? Can you like one and not like the other one at all? What makes you go one way or the other?

I am asking this because there was a thread last night where 2 Belgians picked up a little fight and it made me wonder. Since Belgium is not really a huge country I would think everybody would be happy for both. But it doesn't seem that way. What causes the division?

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
In general the Dutch-speakers will pull more for Kim and the French speakers for Juju.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah, language might be the main barrier to like/dislike one of them. For me, it's personality which makes me like Kim more than Justine. Since I read an interview about 2 years ago of Justine, saying "I'm gonna be the number 1 of the world", it said enough for me. I like Kim's attitude towards the game and the circuit much more. One negative point is that Kim's game is not as diverse as Justine's game, but Justine plays soo slow, she waits too long to start a new game, it started to annoy me. Also her serve frustrates me sometimes, so suddenly I went for Kim all the way. But it's not that I dislike Henin. I'll always support for the Belgian player, but when they play against each other, Kim is my favorite!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I speak Dutch (Flemish) and support Justine. So, I'm one of the many exceptions to the rule that Flemish fans support Kim and Walloon fans Justine. But I agree that there's some truth in this statement.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
VCR said:
its FLEMISH speakers and french speakers.

but Glenn is flemish and he loves justine more than kim.
Yea, I do! :)
It's not because Kim lives near me that I have to like her game, personality etc.
I like those 2 aspects amongst others more from Justine. :)

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Mad-About-Venus said:
Walloon ???

Is Flemish just plain Dutch?? Or a combination of Dutch with something else?
Flemish is the same language they speak in the Netherlands, so Dutch, but with a different accent, and some other words they use, but we understand the Dutch perfectly.
The Walloons speak French.
There are also small parts of Belgium where they speak German.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Glenn said:
Flemish is the same language they speak in the Netherlands, so Dutch, but with a different accent, and some other words they use, but we understand the Dutch perfectly.
Indeed! Quite complicated isn't it? :lol:

·
***** Emeritus
45,081 Posts
It's not as simple as "Flemish root for Kim and Walloon root for Henin", although probably the majority of Flanders root for Kim and the majority of Wallonia for Justine.

The difference between the Belgians and the Williams is that the Williamses are sisters and their games are very alike (although there are some differences onviously). The Belgians on the other hand are much more different, gameswise and personalitywise. Therefor not everyone who's a Justine fan is also a Kimfan (and vice versa). Although I think that the majority of the Belgians have probably Kim and Justine as their two favs (in one order or the other), as do probably most of the Williams fans have Venus and Serena as their two favs.

This is my opinion, just correct me if I'm terribly wrong, fellow Belgians ;)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I really root for both of them ! :)

We (belgians) aren't spoiled when it comes to having compatriots who are at the top of any sport, so we better treat them with care ;)

when they face each other I have a slight favoritism for Juju (I'm flemish), since I better like her game :eek:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Glenn said:
I always thought Dutch/Flemish was just German with a really bad accent and spelling. :p

FWIW, I've been to the German-speaking part of Belgium (St. Vith, Eupen/Malmedy IIRC). It's not far from the Spa-Francorchamps GP circuit, which is a real road used for regular traffic the rest of the year. We didn't realize we were driving on the circuit until we got to the grandstands. :D

·
Miss Verstand
14,936 Posts
the belgian commentators have made me dislike both of them :mad:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
596 Posts
I'm flemish, and in the beginning, i was just for both. But with RG 01 they started to show matches of them, and since then, since i saw them play, i always liked justines game more, so justine was slightly my favourite.
Later on, they have had similar careers, both in the same year GS final, Tier I title (if i'm correct :confused: ) but here in flandres kim was much more hyped (it's very logic, in wallonia justine will be hyped more, but i just don't like it) so i became more and more for justine...

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.