Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a big/die hard fan of the Williams. But let us face it, Kim is very good. "Clijsters, who has reached at least the semifinals in all 11 tournaments she's played this season, needed just 44 minutes to dispatch Liu - the reigning NCAA singles champion."

So even if she becomes #1 this season without winning any slam, she deserves it. I mean a #1 material athelete has to be consistent in her game. Kim has been consistent ever since the Year end championships.

I say let us get used to the fact that sometimes people win with quantity and not quality.

Any thoughts.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Yeah, it's true what you say. But although I'm a big fan of Kim, I wouldn't feel that convinced if she would reach number 1 without winning at least one slam. I would have mixed feelings I think.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
she deserves it. shes played much better than last year which is basically what the rankings mean. ur performance vs the past 52 weeks

being ranked number 1 doesnt mean shes the best player. so its all good

the rankings aint gonna wait for any player. if Serena dont play its on her. about Monica.....nobody is saying the person whos ranked xyz doesnt deserve to be ranked there cos Monica cant play right now. its stupid.

Kim can have the number one to be honest, i prefer the slams :)

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I think we all knew years ago that the rankings dont reflect who is the best player. I would rather Serena win the Slams, and she's shown that she doesnt need to be seeded one or even two to win a slam, so it doesnt really bother me that much.
I wish Kim would win a Slam or at least beat Venus and Serena to back it up though.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I think its stupid that the WTA Tour takes points off because you dont perform as good as you did last year at a tournament. Thats dumb!!!! They should add up all your points from the season and then take the top 8 to the Season Ending Championships.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The number one player is the best player on tour.
The slam winner is the best player on that certain tournament.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
QUEENLINDSAY said:
The number one player is the best player on tour.
The slam winner is the best player on that certain tournament.
That's true, but people remember the Slams wins more than who was number oen at what time. For example, people remember that Aranxta Sanchez Vacario won the French Open three times more than they remember when she was number one.

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
why are we having a discussion on her deserving #1 when she hasnt reached #1 yet and might never :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts