Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/tennis/14173534.htm

Kim Clijsters, the defending NASDAQ-100 Open champion, says she understands when players pull out of tournaments at the last minute and says a reduced schedule would help keep players healthier. Lindsay Davenport, Venus and Serena Williams and Mary Pierce withdrew from the tournament with injuries.

There is talk of shortening the season and giving players time off in July and August.

''As defending champion of Indian Wells, I felt bad to pull out there, and also I felt bad for the public there, who have been good to me, but it's an individual sport, and sometimes we have to make selfish decisions,'' Clijsters said. 'You can't say, `I feel bad for the tournament director, so I'm going to play injured.' As long as we don't use injuries as excuses, I can understand.''

Clijsters also is in favor of a plan to make five tournaments mandatory, an attempt by the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour to simplify the sport for fans.

''It would make it much easier for the public to follow if they knew where all the stars are playing each week,'' she said. ``One week some players are on one continent, and some are on another. . . . Having mandatory events would make it more organized.''

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
i agree with her. but when would they move wimbledon? i just think they need to give them more time off, but not in the summer.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
spiceboy said:
''As defending champion of Indian Wells, I felt bad to pull out there, and also I felt bad for the public there, who have been good to me, but it's an individual sport, and sometimes we have to make selfish decisions,'' Clijsters said. 'You can't say, `I feel bad for the tournament director, so I'm going to play injured.' As long as we don't use injuries as excuses, I can understand.''
That's why you are retiring in 2007, dear.
I'd rather have my fav play more years then see them risking their health to please the fans (at one moment) and capitalistic commerce ...

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
if you do so, then you should expand the number of tournies counted for ranking to around 20, so that no one reaches the max limit... then you can have several of those... otherwise, this is just silly...

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
i wonder what others have to say.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Nemesis said:
That's why you are retiring in 2007, dear.
I'd rather have my fav play more years then see them risking their health to please the fans (at one moment) and capitalistic commerce ...
:scratch: What do you mean? Kim is saying that she would NOT play injured just to please the tournament director - that's why she skipped Indian Wells.

Although I do admit she has done so in the past. But she payed a serious price for that, and seems to have learned her lesson...:shrug:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
nicky said:
:scratch: What do you mean? Kim is saying that she would NOT play injured just to please the tournament director - that's why she skipped Indian Wells.

Although I do admit she has done so in the past. But she payed a serious price for that, and seems to have learned her lesson...:shrug:
I meant what you put in small font. She played Antwerp and AO with injuries. She hasn't learned too much. She might not do it for tournament directors, but she does it for other reasons and her body suffers from it.

But I agree Kim is beginning to see that she shouldn't push her body. Good sign.
I must say, my post might've been unclear. Sorry. I was kinda in a bad mood due to the cheering of the jeering of Justine.

·
Registered
52,357 Posts
The question is which tournaments should be made mandatory though ? :p

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
spiceboy said:
I'm sorry what? What on earth is she trying to say? Injuries should not be used as an excuse to pull out? :confused:

''It would make it much easier for the public to follow if they knew where all the stars are playing each week,''
So .... the public should only go when stars are playing... don't bother going to estroil or Istanbul if there are no stars there! Kim...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
From that para I'm not sure I've got enough there to say that Kim is enthusiastically in favour. It sounds to me like all she's saying is <<I can see the point of it ....>>. Most likely that's it and she hasn't really given it much thought. But she may have thoughts like <<And on the other hand I can also see the arguments against ... >>

And that's assuming she didn't actually say anything else which has not been reported that could put a different slant to it!

Anyway whatever - I am certainly not in favour of 5 mandatory events. And I'm not sure about Kim's answer that you'd know the players would be there. Hmm - like Lindsay, Serena and Venus?

Finally Kim needed to put herself first and take a selfish decision. She owed that to herself. The way she did it - keeping everyone informed what she intended to do - when and where she intended to play next and sticking to that. If something had gone wrong with her plans she'd have kept us informed. She's shown - if you have to withdraw - the right way to do it

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Marshmallow said:
I'm sorry what? What on earth is she trying to say? Injuries should not be used as an excuse to pull out? :confused:
Well I'm not certain. But I thought she was just saying you should be honest and shouldn't use injuries as an excuse to pull out if you haven't got an injury.

In Kim's case she had some small injuries she really wanted time for her body to recover from. No doubt she could have played and they weren't injuries that absolutely prevented her from playing if she had to. She was pretty open about this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They only have to enter 10 tournament a year that's only 10 weeks of play what is she complaining about ? And there already is 10 mandatory events so what the hell is she on about ?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
msf said:
They only have to enter 10 tournament a year that's only 10 weeks of play what is she complaining about ? And there already is 10 mandatory events so what the hell is she on about ?
More to the point what the hell r u on about you idiot.:retard:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
This one simple no tournment should me mandatory. Players should be able to play where they want, when they want and reduce the required tournments to played from 17 to 14.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
The top ten players who havn't turned up include 3 who don't play a full tour even when well and lindsay who is trimming her schedule so its hardly time off thats required. Making them turn up when they are not fit seems more likely to cause injuries.

The fact that 40% of the top 10 either didn't turn up (50% if you give Serena her real status) or fell out already in round one because they probably shouldn't be there, tells you all you need to know about manadatory tournaments. if you had 9 of them including the GS you would get truly bizarre rankings as some players carried 1s in their rankings whilst other less successful players in terms of wins were ranked above them with 17 counting tournaments. The YEc would have players on 25 tournaments and top players not there because they went to mandatory tournaments they should have missed and did badly. Bizarrely having fewer than 17 counting tournaments would just distort things more as with only 14 counting there would less scope to make up if you missed the odd month wth multiple manadatory tournaments in it.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
The men have to play the "Master Series"...and yet very rarely do ALL the top men show up. So have the "mandatory" factor doesnt stop people from withdrawing if they cant play. It's a good concept, but it wont stop it. Federer this year, I believe is only going to play all three master clay events. Before he only played two. Do you think he cares if he is fined because he misses one? The fining really only affects the players that are barely making any money. The top players...Davenport, Venus, Serena, Pierce...who all withdrew from Miami, can handle the fine. Its not like its going to break them.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
:bigclap: Kim.

I think the mandatory tournaments for the men has worked out very well. There was a lot of complaining about it at first, but it's turned out to be a good thing.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
The men have to play the "Master Series"...and yet very rarely do ALL the top men show up. So have the "mandatory" factor doesnt stop people from withdrawing if they cant play. It's a good concept, but it wont stop it. Federer this year, I believe is only going to play all three master clay events. Before he only played two. Do you think he cares if he is fined because he misses one? The fining really only affects the players that are barely making any money. The top players...Davenport, Venus, Serena, Pierce...who all withdrew from Miami, can handle the fine. Its not like its going to break them.
It's not the FINE the players have to worry about, it's the fact that if they skip said manditory event, they get a big fat 0 and CAN'T replace that with another result. Because of this you very rarely see men skipping TMS events (though you do have a lot who skip Monte Carlo). Last year loads of players withdrew from the final 2 TMS events as well as the TMC because there were so many injuries at that time but other than that everybody shows up. Making certain Tier I events, or heck all of them, will force the girls to make better schedules and not overbook themselves before these manditory events so that they are fit and ready to play each and every one of them, or try to at least.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts