·
Registered
53,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Her first tournament will be Dubai !!! :D

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hopefully she'll get a good draw so she can have a winnable first match and we can get an idea of where she stands.

·
Registered
53,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
She's playing Muguruza after the withdrawl of Kiki, but that's just as though a draw with the confidence boost of the AO

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Fascinating to see where she's at level wise.

Genuinely excited for Kim.

People are assuming Kim looks overweight from all the practise footage but she's always naturally looked like this. It's deceiving to people that didn't really follow her closely in the past.

She's so physically strong, most of it is pure muscle.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Dubai R1 Clijsters - Muguruza 2-6 6-7(6-8)

Completely understandable slow, nervy start.

Once she started to get warmed up mid 2nd set and play more loosely we saw flashes of Kim brilliance.

Breathtaking ball striking.

Extremely encouraging and excited to see how she will fair vs the top 100 when she starts to get matches under her belt and build match fitness.

Think she will be ok in lesser fields to start then work from there, good that she's playing in Mexico next. Hopefully can get a few wins under her belt and go to Indian Wells in better shape.

·
Registered
53,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Kim had a promising beginning of her comeback in Dubai.
Strong tennis in her R1 match vs Muguruza. Wonderful to have Kim back! :love:
Kim was rusty in the first set. Then she played a very close 2nd set.
Her groundstrokes and movement are still impressive ♥
The serve was too weak and seemed like the biggest difference.

·
Registered
53,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Kim lost 3-6 5-7 to #2 seed Konta :cry:

Kim still looked rusty. And facing the world #16 was a tough unlucky R1 draw.
She was playing just her second match since retiring from tennis at 2012 US Open.
Kim must improve her movement. Too slow. She made too many UEs. Too erratic match.
Positive was that she has improved her serve. Now she just must reduce the UEs.

Konta made some UEs, but most of match played and served very well. Like the Top 20 player she is.
Kim did not even have a break point in the whole match. This shows how strong Konta served.

So she faced two Top 20 players in her comeback. Very unlucky draws (especially in Monterrey).
Thank God at Indian Wells the Top 32 seeds have a bye in R1. So Kim should get an easier opponent.

Kim needs more matches, and against weaker Top 100 players, where she gets more match rhythm and confidence. Muguruza and Konta also were bad opponents because they are very powerful and aggressive and the points are short. And after such a long break from WTA tennis you need players who give you more long rallies and hit softer.

·
Registered
53,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Her words :p

"I felt some things were better," Clijsters said after the match. "Some things still need a lot of improvement. That's why it's good to play matches. In Dubai, I didn't start well because I was overwhelmed, but today I started and served much better than I did there. Those are a few of the positive things, and the points that have to be better, I'll work very hard to improve them for other matches.

"I've been through different generations and played many players throughout my whole career. I'm still at a stage where I want to focus on what I'm doing and how I'm feeling, and also start reading my opponents. It's a process that I have to trust and keep working hard to improve in every match I play. I'd like to take big steps but I have to focus on small step and improving day by day."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts