Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Q. The Fed Cup will be played in Moscow. What are you thoughts about that?

KIM CLIJSTERS: It's disappointing. You always like to play at home. I don't know if it's that good of a choice from the ITF to have it in Russia. You always have to look ahead a little bit. What worries me, last time we played in Moscow, I think we played in front of 100, 200 people. We played the Russian team, as well. I sort of hope that Russia can get through to the final so they have a bigger crowd. It will be very disappointing to see if the home country doesn't get to the final. In Russia, I don't know if that would be a great crowd if they wouldn't make it through to the final.

I think in Belgium, tennis at the moment is so big. I think even if Belgium wouldn't make it through to the final, I think we would still get a great crowd. I think the Belgian crowd is a lot more interested.

Q. Will you play?

KIM CLIJSTERS: It's too hard to think about. I don't want to worry about it at the moment. It's definitely made it a lot tougher. It's tough, especially with the week off in between. It makes it really tough I think for a lot of players. I definitely think the ITF -- I'm sure they'll definitely open their eyes. I don't think a lot of the top players will be playing.

----

Well said. And I think she's so right! The ITF will open their eyes!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
is that right kim ... well obviously she is not that patriotic ... i know that all the russians would be there ... no matter what!!!!

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I think Kim is right, last time they played in Russia noone turned up. Russia will be hard pressed to beat France and make the final, so that would produce just the best atmosphere in the final from the crowd.

is that right kim ... well obviously she is not that patriotic
Well at least she is conssidering it, rather than just saying she doesn't want to interfere with her holidays. And she said after the QF that she'd play wherever it was. But I have this feeling Kim doesn't like playing in eastern europe. Don't know why just have a feeling about that.

·
Registered
20,498 Posts
last time they played in Russia it was 1998, a year of financial crisis (pretty sure of it), people were preoccupied with other things...

don't worry, Kimmy... you will get a chance to play against Russians crowd, who will most probably support Williams sisters (if they play) over Belgians, since Serena and Venus are more popular in Moscow.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
last time they played in Russia it was 1998, a year of financial crisis (pretty sure of it), people were preoccupied with other things...
Um no Belgium played Russia in Russia in 2000, see that is how well it was advertised. Nobody turned up for the matches, they were played in pools australia were in that group to, and i think france was the other team. The stadium was damp, empty and cold according to Kim.

How Russia got it over Belgium I don't understand. Russia have never won the cup. You can't tell me Russia have better facilities, or that their crowds at their WTA event in Moscow outdo antwerps. Really I think the ITF just want Russia to win it.

·
Keeper of Secrets
9,040 Posts
Filip! said:
Q. The Fed Cup will be played in Moscow. What are you thoughts about that?

KIM CLIJSTERS:

I think in Belgium, tennis at the moment is so big. I think even if Belgium wouldn't make it through to the final, I think we would still get a great crowd. I think the Belgian crowd is a lot more interested.
yeah more interested in booing :rolleyes:

Why is it so hard to fathom why Russia was chosen.. geeze use the noodle- Russia offered more $$$ indicating a bigger commitment to making the FC a success. It's now 2003, they probably would have learned their lesson from 2000. Give Russia the chance to host the FINAL before claiming they are going to fail!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Kim already addressed the matter in her online diary as well:
(though only in Dutch at present)

Ik was wel flink ontgoocheld toen ik daarstraks het nieuws over de Fed Cup Finals hoorde. Marc had er hier een persmededeling van gezien. Ik vind de toewijzing aan Moskou een zeer jammere zaak. Twee jaar geleden speelden we in Moskou voor amper 200 man! We zouden ook het enige land geweest zijn dat met twee top-tien speelsters zou aantreden in een Fed Cup die al het hele seizoen lijdt onder afzeggingen van grote namen.

De ITF snijdt hiermee in haar eigen vlees en kiest met dat beetje meer geld voor een korte termijn-oplossing. Ik vertelde het daarstraks aan Justine, want die had het nog niet gehoord. En ook zij reageerde ontgoocheld. Ik ga na de US Open eens nadenken over deelname aan de eindronde. Al was het maar als statement naar de ITF. Ze moeten beseffen dat ze hiermee de Fed Cup geen dienst bewijzen.

Allez, ik begeef me weer in de New Yorkse drukte ;-)

Mainly the same message as before:
She was quite dissapointed, considering Belgium would be the only country with to top 10 players participating. The ITF is not doing itself any favours and opting for the short term solution. When telling the news to Justine she was dissapointed as well. She would seriously consider not playing, if only to make a statement towards the ITF. They should realize there are not doing the Fed Cup any favours.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Well that was disrespectful to say IMO. Hell about 200 or so people showed up to the championship in the fall where you won Kim! :rolleyes: Russia has numerous talents rising to the top of the womens game. Elena Dementieva is having a good year, Vera Zvonereva, Anastasia Myskina Maria Sharapova, and Svetlana Kusnetzova are all making waves on the tour. Hell the flippin tour isnt just about Belgium. I think with the amount of Russians doing well, that the country will be more inclined to support the players. Heck add Kournikova to the mix for support and you may have yourself a nice final on your hands.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hell the flippin tour isnt just about Belgium.
:eek: Justine got really nasty responses when she said the exact same thing about the Williams sisters. So I hope you get shot too, because it would be fair then to be treated equal.

Ik vertelde het daarstraks aan Justine, want die had het nog niet gehoord. En ook zij reageerde ontgoocheld.
They are talking to each other. Good sign.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I think most will agree this decision was based on financial arguments in the end. If you think that's the way things should be decided fine, Russia should have gotten it and did.

If you consider other arguments, I think it's fair to say Belgium had the better cards in hand.
That's what she's saying and I think she's right.

Russia does have a lot of good players coming up, and still rising. However the other candidate did have the no. 1 and 2 player to offer!

·
Registered
838 Posts
great smash said:
I think most will agree this decision was based on financial arguments in the end. If you think that's the way things should be decided fine, Russia should have gotten it and did.

If you consider other arguments, I think it's fair to say Belgium had the better cards in hand.
That's what she's saying and I think she's right.

Russia does have a lot of good players coming up, and still rising. However the other candidate did have the no. 1 and 2 player to offer!

You're correct. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that Russia would host the Fed Cup. I wouldn't be suprised if the field only contains 1 top 10 player (maybe Myskina).

Belgium will send a joke team.

The USA will have to do with players like Meghan and Amanda.

I'm not sure if Mauresmo will participate in Moskou, but if she doesn't the French team won't be that strong.

The Russian team will win the Fed Cup with a mediocre team comprised of top 10-20 players.

Last year Slovakia won the Fed Cup, but that was mainly because Belgium had send a joke team to Italy for the QF. This year Slovakia was completely crushed by Belgium.

The Fed Cup has become a joke.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Is this for the finals?! If that´s true, how does Kim know for sure Belgium will be playing in the finals?! Last time I checked they still had to beat the U.S.A. first and now that the sisters have missed the Open I´m sure that they will make the team......all of sudden the final can be far away for the Belgians...

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,883 Posts
Blah-Blah-blah...

SO who is at fault - finals being played in Russia, week in between or patriots who "don't want to worry" about representing their countries.

Belgium should be banned from hosting finals for few years simply for ignoring last year finals - if your top players don't care about the competition - WTF you got to do with hosting the finals of it?

·
Registered
838 Posts
bandabou said:
Is this for the finals?! If that´s true, how does Kim know for sure Belgium will be playing in the finals?! Last time I checked they still had to beat the U.S.A. first and now that the sisters have missed the Open I´m sure that they will make the team......all of sudden the final can be far away for the Belgians...

Het is een finale ronde met 4 ploegen.

België zal tegen de VS spelen in Moskou.

Het gaat niet over de finale zelf.

En ik weet niet over wat je het hebt, maar die zusters spelen gegarandeerd niet. In werkelijkheid zullen daar tweederangsploegen spelen.

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
11,293 Posts
I would have liked it to be in Belgium cause it's not far from where I live so that's always a bonus. But Russia got it so deal with it. Besides I don't think kim and Justine are really that attached to Fed Cup. Last year they also skipped quarterfinals in Italy because it didn't fit into their schedule. That's a choice they make, the ITF should not base it's decision on whether or not the top players will play...that smells like blackmail.

Anyway, I think crowd interest in tennis has increased in Russia over the past few years, especially with the rise of all the new youngsters. So I hope it will be a big success.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
rikvanlooy said:
Het is een finale ronde met 4 ploegen.

België zal tegen de VS spelen in Moskou.

Het gaat niet over de finale zelf.

En ik weet niet over wat je het hebt, maar die zusters spelen gegarandeerd niet. In werkelijkheid zullen daar tweederangsploegen spelen.
Dat zou je maar willen,huh?! Misschien wel....maar iets zegt me dat ze zullen spelen..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.