Tennis Forum banner
2781 - 2799 of 2799 Posts

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
Even an Ostapenko in BAD form is a nightmare first match back, because she gives no rhythm (although Kiki knows her game after so many matches). But she was on fire today. Really nothing Kiki could do.

Hoping for a better showing next week. :)

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
After winning her first rubber, Kiki left the BJK Cup team citing achilles problems. I fear this is gonna be a long comeback trajectory. Don't expect a lot from Kiki this clay season. :confused:

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Looks like she definitely has continuing injury issues.....she is a strong player...especially on clay. If she has an achilles issue....should take her time as that's a bad one for a tennis player. Her ranking is going going to fall big time with all the clay court points to defend.....but nothing to be done for it. Get well Kiki, see you when you are 100%.

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
Yep, it's one of the worst issues a tennis player can get. But that's very unfortunate as I thought the surgery and time off would have taken care of it. Is it too much to ask for her body to just cooperate for one solid clay season? 😭 With all her issues I hope she at least can play without feeling any pressure about points dropping etc.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
She obviously still doesn't feel at her physical best and doesn't have any match rhythm on her ground game at the moment. I'm hoping on these Madrid courts she can at LEAST count on her serve firing decently enough, just to aid her along in getting back to her best.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I can't confirm it anywhere else but here it seems like Kiki is out of Rome and will only be playing Belgrado May 17th before RG:

I think that's a good decision. More chance at match play in a small tournament and just go to RG without expectations.

·
Registered
866 Posts
It's confirmed in the "Rome" thread also. I think she's doing a bit of soul searching, very quiet on social media too......Saw it coming vs Kudermetova.

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
I agree it's good for her to completely ditch all expectations and just try work on winning matches. Which is more likely to happen on clay than anywhere else. Part of me thinks she came back too soon, but more than anything I just want to see her healthy. I certainly don't care about any drop down the rankings at this point, and I hope she doesn't either.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
There are a few reports out today with this comment from Tamaëla:

"The injury is not completely under control, which is why she does not play Rome”, her coach Elise Tamaëla said. "Belgrade is still a question mark."

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Maybe at this point it's better to skip RG and the grass season altogether. It's clear she came back too soon. I just hope that the operation has really worked and she just needs to recover longer and it's not going to be a structural problem.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I certainly agree that it'd be better if she doesn't play RG.

I've always wondered tho how many RG's Kiki will still play in her career.

·
Registered
57,944 Posts
2781 - 2799 of 2799 Posts