Tennis Forum banner

2761 - 2777 of 2777 Posts

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Pffft, still shaking from all that. Horrible to hear Kiki screaming of pain after the match in the wheelchair. Something wrong with the arm. Was it just cramps or injuries? This match reminded me a little of that match against Kasatkina in 2016 (although both players played a significantly higher level in that one).

I don't see her recover in time from that. Seems her body is not taking 7 months off well.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yeah, I don't see that happening either. Knowing Kiki she'll want to at least try. We will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
That was abysmal. You just wanna hope the injury is cramps which can heal overnight and hopefully not show up again for her next match with some treatment.

After a melodrama like that, surely now she will be able to swing a BIT more freely in the next round (if she's in condition to play it). I said this in the match thread but it reminded me of that terrible Madrid match against Joan Stephens where the American kind of dragged her down to her level. Kiki won in straights, but looked on the verge of tears after the match at how bad she felt about her level. In the next match she looked like she had reset (for Simona).

Can't see her in the doubles draw, Kuznetsova plays with Zhang
My bad, I was going off the entry list (which has since changed). Evidently Kiki pulled out of the doubles - which after today's disaster was probably for the best - and Sveta and Zhang elected to play together.

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Some news on her situation. She trained a bit today and it went better than expected, although she is still sore.

Coach Tamaëla said about the cramps:

''Kiki is fit, as the physical workouts have indicated. So retiring wasn't an option at any moment. After the match she said she wasn't tired during the match, so the cramps came as a complete surprise. I think the combination of tension and cold caused the problems.''

And about the upcoming match:

''Apart from the cramps, she feels fine physically. Kiki will be getting some treatment today and then we're gonna hit some balls. Hopefully it will improve even further friday.''

(Source in Dutch: Bertens zag kramp niet aankomen in bizarre driesetter: 'Ze is gewoon fit' )

Curious. I can't remember Kiki ever having cramps before. I hope they won't return in tomorrow's match.

Reactions: jolafan and nniels

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Yes, getting Chatrier was a stroke of giant luck. She could get some good weight on her balls and penetrate the court better than Siniakova. Serve also got a nice boost. Because of that she was also capable of more offensive play. This is the Kiki I have longed for. :love:

She was done so quick, I barely had time to craft my gif. :D

Third second week of her career at this Slam. Hope she can play freely from here. This already feels like a bonus.

Reactions: jolafan

·
Registered
423 Posts
Phew, match was scheduled 21:00, glad I just zapped by, missed the first 3 games. At 21:00 I would've been really pissed......

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Phew, match was scheduled 21:00, glad I just zapped by, missed the first 3 games. At 21:00 I would've been really pissed......
Haha yes! I also accidentally checked a livestream or else I would have misssed it. I saw she had to go after Zverev so that could have gone on for hours but the organisers were smart enough to reschedule. Of course now that it isn't necessary Zverev also finished quickly. :LOL:

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Trevisan will be the next opponent. Definitely prefer her over Sakkari but I've seen the Italian play against Gauff and she won't go meekly like Siniakova. She's a lefty. Has no big weapons but is a huge fighter, very expressive and intense, good movement, with a strong and positive mentality. Kiki has to be mentally ready for this. She will also feel the pressure of being the favourite against a qualifier in a 4th round.

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
For the Dutch fans:

Haha, nu loopt zelfs Johan Derksen zich met Kiki te bemoeien! :LOL: Wat is het toch ook een verwaande kwast. En zelf heeft ie sportief nooit wat gepresteerd, hij teert alleen op lullen over andermans prestaties.

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Bad serving day for Kiki and not much energy in her defense. She also played too careful when she had chances to step up. Most annoying is that she came back in both sets and couldn't level, even though Trevisan was clearly getting tight.

Missed opportunity here with Halep out. Not that she would have a chance against Swiatek with this serve.

2761 - 2777 of 2777 Posts