Tennis Forum banner

2721 - 2740 of 2777 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Happy birthday, Kiki!

Here's her IG comment on the Volkskrant story, Google-translated:

After much commotion, I would like to give my side of the story. I have never said that I want money for participating in the Olympics, let this be clear. No hair on my head that thinks about it. I try to read as little as possible about what is being written about me, but I think that I now come across disrespectfully to the Olympics and the participants and that is definitely not my intention. The Olympic Games is a great event which is rightfully a big dream for many. I am proud to say that I was allowed to participate in Rio and to participate in Tokyo. In the relevant interview, I indicated that it is slightly different for a tennis player and for me personally every year is quite a job to keep the individual WTA tournament schedule somewhat fresh and sharp until the end of the season. Last season I played too many tournaments to keep feeling good and to be able to perform to the maximum. I was completely burned out.

I also see playing Fed Cup as a huge honor to be able to play for your country and I still look back with pride to the semi-final that we have achieved. I will have to play fed cup this year if I want to participate in the Olympics. This would mean that from December 30 to mid-April I will only be home for a few days and want to peak week in week out on different continents and surfaces. And then we are only at the start of the tennis season. So Yes, I said it would be physically and mentally responsible and sensible to let other tournaments shoot for the fed cup where I indeed have many points to defend and can earn a lot of money. But no, no tons and no I absolutely don't want any money for the Olympics. As I mentioned in the interview, money is no longer a driver for me and my choice will not be in the way. I try to take everything into account in my deliberations in order to continue to feel as good and happy as possible and thus hopefully be able to continue to play tennis for a long and successful time and above all!
Hopefully I can explain it tonight in @peptalkziggo

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Good match by Kiki. Kontaveit really gave it all but happily for Kiki she faltered in that last game. Good Kiki hold her serve in that final set so she could take advantage. (y)

Curious what she can do against the Osaka power.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
[5] Svitolina vs Boulter
Davis vs Q
Muguruza vs Q
Tomljanovic vs [31] Sevastova
[21] Anisimova vs Diyas
Paolini vs Blinkova
Bondarenko vs Ar.Rodionova
Begu vs [9] Bertens

Pretty nice draw for Kiki. Third round should really be no problem, then comes the first test in probably Anisimova. Hopefully her Achilles tendon injury is fully healed.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Hard to conclude anything from the match. Kiki played solid, didn't have to overexert herself today. Her movement looked good. She was cradled to sleep a bit in the second set. Her shots became less and less deep and she had a weird weak service game after putting on a visor. The visor disappeared soon after. ?

Next opponent Rodionova. They never played each other. Draw opened up a bit with the unexpected loss of Anisimova.

Reactions: ThomieK

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Didn't see the match but from Kiki's interview I understand she was too precarious, too defensive and had some troubles with the conditions. She also thought a bit too much about her good draw in the back of her mind. She does not underestimate her next opponent Diyas though. And she definitely shouldn't. Hope she can get her best result ever here.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Good lord I was just going to say her draw looks decent to make something like a QF... but if she's already stressing about it........ ?

Diyas defends very well but so does Kiki, and she often does pretty well against those types of opponents nce she finally steps up and decides to dictate with the forehand. Even if both are playing passively, Kiki's much stronger serve should help her get over the line. Diyas should really be tired as well from all her exploits recently, hopefully Kiki is keen to take advantage!

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
That second set was killing me. :eek: Kiki was so wound up, she basically played against both herself and Diyas. Good thing it didn't actually affect her play.

Those two points in the TB to take the lead were fantastic though. A strong FHDTL passing shot on a Diyas net approach and a drop against a drop.

Fourth time in her career Kiki makes the second week of a Slam. ?

I'm not gonna look too far ahead. A peak Muguruza will be tough but the upside is Kiki will feel like the underdog, which is more comfortable for her.

Reactions: jolafan

·
Registered
767 Posts
Kiki the highest seed left in this quarter ? I'm really not expecting anything against Garbiñe. Hope she plays even better!

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Maybe i'm overconfident too but i'm happy with Kiki's performance! People have been underestimating her even though she has basically been the player with the most top 10 wins two years running. Muguruza has always played a flatter game, fingers crossed that in the next round Kiki's weight of shot helps push her back so Kiki can dictate! :)

Either way, i'm already pleased she has her best ever AO result anyway.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Disappointing it was such a routine score but she at least got her best result ever at the AO and she climbed to number 7 in the rankings (unless Kenin wins the title).

St. Petersburg points are already off so she has relatively little to defend till Madrid.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I would like to see her perform better in the desert trio this year (Doha, Dubai, Indian Wells). The court and conditions should suit her game, whereas indoors she really likes to have her serve clicking, and i'm not totally convinced that it is right now. But still, this is as good a start of the season as I was expecting from her, especially after a long and brutal end to the year. So I hope that will give her confidence.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Too bad she couldn't take her Brisbane-level to Melbourne, but she still lived up to her seeding, so that's good. Off to Fed Cup now, is it?

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
She won her two FC singles rubbers. (y)

I read a small interview in the paper about her match against Sasnovich. Although Kiki very much enjoyed being with 'the girls' again and felt even a little guilty she chose for herself in the last 2 years, she also admitted feeling like 3 years ago, very nervous and pressured to win. She vomited again before the match.

She's apparently also still troubled by the achilles, playing this weekend with injections in there.

Reactions: jolafan

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Very good first match, everything was pretty much clicking. I'm glad she didn't have to play till today, enough time to regroup from that mentally taxing FC defeat, she looked calm and confident.

2721 - 2740 of 2777 Posts