Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Disappointing if true. :( I was thinking it made sense for her to stay in America for the time being really.. There will be probably be plenty of exhibitions to play in in America, and if there are any tour events in July/August they will probably be in America.. I don't think she will get anything resembling match play for a very long time if she plans on staying in Canada and isn't willing to undergo a 2-weeks quarantine on return..

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Disappointing if true. :( I was thinking it made sense for her to stay in America for the time being really.. There will be probably be plenty of exhibitions to play in in America, and if there are any tour events in July/August they will probably be in America.. I don't think she will get anything resembling match play for a very long time if she plans on staying in Canada and isn't willing to undergo a 2-weeks quarantine on return..
Disappointing if that’s the reason. I don’t understand staying in Canada specially if the tour resumes mid August...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113,486 Posts
This is the 2nd step. Starting, like the Kvitova exhibition was the first step
A bigger field like this is the 2nd step
3rd step is the event WTT has in US with fans and name players
4th step is Citi Open at the start of August
Players can go Charleston, WTT, Washington DC.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm curious about this, when did Puerto Rico start representing itself separately at the Olympics, or do Puerto Rican athletes not always do so? I know Gigi Fernandez won gold medals for the United States at the 1992 and 1996 Olympics, so it must be a new-er thing. Is it similar to Northern Irish athletes having the option to compete for either GB or Ireland?
It’s been that way pretty much forever.

·
Registered
15,988 Posts
No Serena,Venus.Naomi, Petra,Kerber,Halep meh

·
Registered
23,634 Posts
Thé draft is on Monday at 8 pm local time

4 singles matches on Tuesday

What order would you pick the players in if you were in BMS/Keys' position?

BMS gets first pick and the other 14 players are as follows:

Victoria Azarenka
Sloane Stephens
Sofia Kenin
Monica Puig
Eugenie Bouchard
Leylah Fernandez
Ajla Tomljanovic
Amanda Anisimova
Jennifer Brady
Danielle Collins
Caroline Dolehide
Emma Navarro
Alison Riske
Shelby Rogers

·
Registered
422 Posts
What order would you pick the players in if you were in BMS/Keys' position?

BMS gets first pick and the other 14 players are as follows:

Victoria Azarenka
Sloane Stephens
Sofia Kenin
Monica Puig
Eugenie Bouchard
Leylah Fernandez
Ajla Tomljanovic
Amanda Anisimova
Jennifer Brady
Danielle Collins
Caroline Dolehide
Emma Navarro
Alison Riske
Shelby Rogers
Don't pick Bouchard whatever you do. Down living in Miami, the new epicenter of the virus, I doubt she will even make the trip up. Watch for a pullout from her as well.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Talk about possibly misleading headlines!

IN CHARLESTON, KEYS & MATTEK-SANDS CAPTAIN A DOUBLES-HEAVY WTA REUNION

The tournament itself has a strong emphasis on doubles, which is great to see, but it seems to me that the way that headline is worded can't refer to anything except the players.

Victoria Azarenka
Sloane Stephens
Sofia Kenin
Monica Puig
Eugenie Bouchard
Leylah Fernandez
Ajla Tomljanovic
Amanda Anisimova
Jennifer Brady
Danielle Collins
Caroline Dolehide
Emma Navarro
Alison Riske
Shelby Rogers
Of those above (and obviously Mattek-Sands is a standout doubles player), only Azarenka, Kenin and Brady would go into my list of serious doubles players. Of the rest, Bouchard won Auckland with Kenin in 2019, and Dolehide plays doubles regularly, but I wouldn't call her a great doubles player. Riske and Rogers play occasionally and Navarro, even though she's still a junior, seems much more focused on singles.

As for the rest - you've got to be kidding! Puig was supposed to be a potential long-term partner for Marina Erakovic, but was so embarrassingly bad that they called it off after just two events. I honestly don't think I've ever seen Stephens or Keys play doubles, even though the latter played one round with Mattek-Sands in Rome, and I've only seen Collins play mixed doubles - not same-sex.

·
Registered
40,367 Posts

The tournament itself has a strong emphasis on doubles, which is great to see, but it seems to me that the way that headline is worded can't refer to anything except the players.

Of those above (and obviously Mattek-Sands is a standout doubles player), only Azarenka, Kenin and Brady would go into my list of serious doubles players. Of the rest, Bouchard won Auckland with Kenin in 2019, and Dolehide plays doubles regularly, but I wouldn't call her a great doubles player. Riske and Rogers play occasionally and Navarro, even though she's still a junior, seems much more focused on singles.

As for the rest - you've got to be kidding! Puig was supposed to be a potential long-term partner for Marina Erakovic, but was so embarrassingly bad that they called it off after just two events. I honestly don't think I've ever seen Stephens or Keys play doubles, even though the latter played one round with Mattek-Sands in Rome, and I've only seen Collins play mixed doubles - not same-sex.
Madison Keys played with Venus a few years ago at Rome and they won a round before Madison withdrew injured. I think it was one of the first times Venus won doubles without her sister.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The number of covid cases is spiking in Charleston, and in the south in general. Aside from Navarro having a millionaire tournament-owner father, why is this event being played here? . It’s amazing to me that this event is taking place with the US Open still going forward.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts

The to

May be because on Sunday (the last day ), it is doubles day . All the 16 players will play doubles so 4 doubles matches.

41 - 60 of 329 Posts