Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
The two unannounced names are Emma Navarro and Leylah Fernandez according to a tennis.com article so probably no Gauff or a Williams sister as Myles speculated.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Looking forward to watching this.

Genie's name still has plenty of clout, interesting to see how she fares. I expect Sofia to be zoned in from the first point.

Great opportunity for Bianca to slowly get back into some rhythm, she hasn't hit a ball on court in a match since the end of October 2019. Great way to test out her knee without having to worry about ranking points.

Will we get manufactured interaction like the Men's Laver Cup, or will it all be lovey-dovey. Or are players just happy to be playing.

Who will be the " STAR ATTRACTION" for the broadcasters.

·
Registered
15,102 Posts
i thought the border between USA and Canada was still closed?
It is but pro athletes have an exemption

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Yes, but she doesn't have the US flag next to her name, nor did she officially represent the States when she won the Olympics, so for the sake of getting equal numbers in this type of event, she could represent 'rest of the world' here.
I'm curious about this, when did Puerto Rico start representing itself separately at the Olympics, or do Puerto Rican athletes not always do so? I know Gigi Fernandez won gold medals for the United States at the 1992 and 1996 Olympics, so it must be a new-er thing. Is it similar to Northern Irish athletes having the option to compete for either GB or Ireland?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'm curious about this, when did Puerto Rico start representing itself separately at the Olympics, or do Puerto Rican athletes not always do so? I know Gigi Fernandez won gold medals for the United States at the 1992 and 1996 Olympics, so it must be a new-er thing. Is it similar to Northern Irish athletes having the option to compete for either GB or Ireland?
Since 1948. It's easier to win a medal in doubles as an American. There isn't many elite Puerto Ricans in tennis ...

I don't think there will be a Team World if the two captains are Americans. BMS will be front and center to annoy us all once again.

·
Registered
31,727 Posts
Captain Keys: So let´s go over the match tactics.

Others: Sorry Madison can´t hear you, practicing social distancing.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
It is but pro athletes have an exemption

There's an exemption for pro athletes. Bouchard and Fernandez haven't been in Canada in months anyway.
Can someone explain why pro athletes, their families and support staff should all be exempt from quarantine? That flies totally in the face of logic that this virus can attack ANYONE. I mean, how would Federer react if he found that his third sous-chef unknowingly contracted the disease when shopping for veges in Switzerland and passed it on to hotel staff once they had been in the USA for a few days?

Chad Wolf seems more like a lamb following shepherd Trump's desire for "normalcy" if he's stupid enough to allow this, although I guess he really wants to kiss his master's behind after the possibly illegal way he got the job in any case.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Why? What makes you think that athletes are any less likely than "ordinary" people to be sufferers or carriers of Covid-19?
I'm pleased because it allows for the possibility of sports in the US this year. I didn't claim athletes are any less likely to be carriers of covid-19. I think you misunderstand what this exemption means. It allows athletes to enter the US as our borders are closed to much of the world. It doesn't exempt them from quarantine or being tested when they arrive. I would suggest waiting for more information before getting outraged.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I'm pleased because it allows for the possibility of sports in the US this year. I didn't claim athletes are any less likely to be carriers of covid-19. I think you misunderstand what this exemption means. It allows athletes to enter the US as our borders are closed to much of the world. It doesn't exempt them from quarantine or being tested when they arrive. I would suggest waiting for more information before getting outraged.
Unfortunately the initial press release didn't have the full details of what was involved. Now that I've seen a copy of the actual proclamation it makes a bit more sense.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Half the appeal of the Laver Cup is seeing the (paid) players interact with each other on the sidelines and laying it on thick. Will it happen in Charleston or will the captains cheer their player on from the upper level or something?
I actually don't like that. These gimmicks don't work on me.

21 - 40 of 329 Posts