Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

It will be held in Charleston, S.C. starting on June 23.

There are to be two teams, with 16 singles and eight doubles matches in all.

And the announced participants so far makes it the highest-level field we’ve seen.

Bianca Andreescu, Sloane Stephens, Madison Keys, Sofia Kenin, Victoria Azarenka, Amanda Anisimova, Monica Puig, Ajla Tomljanovic, Danielle Collins, Alison Riske, Shelby Rogers, Bethanie Mattek-Sands, Jennifer Brady and Genie Bouchard.

It looks like there are two spots left, barring withdrawals. You think they might be working on Coco Gauff? A Williams sister?
(thanks to @guichard for the heads up)

Best non-Czech COVID-19 exho field so far! :love:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
It may be the biggest women event this summer. None of these Covid-19 exhos have attracted much viewers so hopefully the Slam champions will take it to the next level.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The two unannounced names are Emma Navarro and Leylah Fernandez according to a tennis.com article so probably no Gauff or a Williams sister as Myles speculated.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Navarro was pretty inevitable with it being at Charleston and her dad's company sponsoring it. So 9 representing the USA, 7 not, could have had a ready made team if it was one the other way.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
From the list of players looks to be a USA vs team World type format?

Should be fun. Hope they can pull off the event.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
USA
Sloane Stephens, Madison Keys, Sofia Kenin, Amanda Anisimova, Danielle Collins, Alison Riske, Shelby Rogers, Bethanie Mattek-Sands, Jennifer Brady, and Emily Navarro

WORLD
Bianca Andreescu, Victoria Azarenka, Monica Puig, Ajla Tomljanovic, LF Fernandez and Genie Bouchard.

I miscounted, I thought it was 9-7, but it's actually 10-6. If it was one, and you really wanted 8 on a side, at a stretch Riske could just about technically represent India, but it won't work the way it is, although that said, it's not really that important, and it's just nice that a lot of players, many good ones at that, are finally getting back on the court.

·
Registered
113,499 Posts
Good! This is the next step after these early exos, which are very important to get the comeback started. By July there should be a lot of these, and by August, the tournament in Washington DC to start the road to NYC

Djokovic also putting an exo series together
@ Carole Bouchard

Djokovic launches an Adria Tour (13 June - 5 July) across the Balkans (Belgrade, Zadar, Montenegro, Banja Luka, Sarajevo. Novak will play all the tournaments. Dominic Thiem on the players list too, then also Grigor Dimitrov. Funds will go to humanitarian projects in the region.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
USA
Sloane Stephens, Madison Keys, Sofia Kenin, Amanda Anisimova, Danielle Collins, Alison Riske, Shelby Rogers, Bethanie Mattek-Sands, Jennifer Brady, and Emily Navarro

WORLD
Bianca Andreescu, Victoria Azarenka, Monica Puig, Ajla Tomljanovic, LF Fernandez and Genie Bouchard.

I miscounted, I thought it was 9-7, but it's actually 10-6. If it was one, and you really wanted 8 on a side, at a stretch Riske could just about technically represent India, but it won't work the way it is, although that said, it's not really that important, and it's just nice that a lot of players, many good ones at that, are finally getting back on the court.
Monica Puig is a US citizen.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Yes, but she doesn't have the US flag next to her name, nor did she officially represent the States when she won the Olympics, so for the sake of getting equal numbers in this type of event, she could represent 'rest of the world' here.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Wow! Three signature ladies... Please Sloane beat Azarenka and Keys.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
USA

WORLD

Riske has less connections with India than Anisimova has it with Russia.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Riske has less connections with India than Anisimova has it with Russia.
Well, Kenin has more still considering she was actually born in Russia, but I thought that would be an absolute marketing disaster with her still being the most recent slam champion and potentially not representing Team USA, same with Anisimova given her age. I keep forgetting Riske is a top 20, or at least circa top 20 player these days, still kind of think of her as a 50 odd player, but with her adding Amritraj to her name, embracing both flags across her social media, and being 30 year old in a few weeks, that would probaby be the most logical if someone had to 'switch'.

Mind, this is all hypothetical with Keys and BMS confirmed as the captains, so it'll likely just be a 'captain's pick' type scenario.

·
Registered
15,102 Posts
Well, Kenin has more still considering she was actually born in Russia, but I thought that would be an absolute marketing disaster with her still being the most recent slam champion and potentially not representing Team USA, same with Anisimova given her age. I keep forgetting Riske is a top 20, or at least circa top 20 player these days, still kind of think of her as a 50 odd player, but with her adding Amritraj to her name, embracing both flags across her social media, and being 30 year old in a few weeks, that would probaby be the most logical if someone had to 'switch'.

Mind, this is all hypothetical with Keys and BMS confirmed as the captains, so it'll likely just be a 'captain's pick' type scenario.
I think it is just a “captain’s pick” but may be a trial run for the future ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Half the appeal of the Laver Cup is seeing the (paid) players interact with each other on the sidelines and laying it on thick. Will it happen in Charleston or will the captains cheer their player on from the upper level or something?

1 - 20 of 329 Posts