·
Registered
15,567 Posts
Did she come back to early? Not a good sign if she can not finish tournaments

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Retired during her Semi Final in Grenoble after losing the second set 6-0 having won the first set tiebreak.

Since returning from injury has withdrawn/retired from three tournaments (four if you count the Fed Cup). She's repeatedly said her back is fine now but I'm not convinced.

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
Katie beat lucky loser Di Lorenzo 26 63 62. Looked like she was playing quite well, first serve percentage was a little down but otherwise hitting it well, of course it was a good draw on a hardcourt at least.

·
Registered
54,079 Posts
Reactions: bobito

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I don't know if the rules have changed with the pandemic, but PR used to cover 2 grand slams in a 12 month period. I can certainly imagine the length of that would be extended considering they have missed about 5 months of the season, but it'll probably still be 2 slams, and Katie has obviously played the AO this year using her PR, so she could either be saving that final (slam) one for RG, or even the AO next year. It's a shame because using her PR at Lexington, 'Cincy' (qualies) and The USO, or at least 2 of those events, would have probably given her more chance of gaining points than playing on clay, but if she feels safer in Europe, or just wants to keep her (PR) options open (whatever they may be), then good luck to her.

There is that 125K event in Austria in week 1 of the US Open, and with the vast majority of the top 130+ in America (plus other doubles players), while she may still not get in without her PR, she might actually have a chance of doing something in a slightly weaker field, even if it is on clay.

Opportunities in 2020 for our 200-500 girls are going to be limited, but at least Katie does have a few more options available to her, and she should be able to get into just about any event she wants to for a while.

·
Registered
15,567 Posts
Under the current rule, she can’t use for AO again but it is possible they have relaxed the rule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know if the rules have changed with the pandemic, but PR used to cover 2 grand slams in a 12 month period. I can certainly imagine the length of that would be extended considering they have missed about 5 months of the season, but it'll probably still be 2 slams, and Katie has obviously played the AO this year using her PR, so she could either be saving that final (slam) one for RG, or even the AO next year. It's a shame because using her PR at Lexington, 'Cincy' (qualies) and The USO, or at least 2 of those events, would have probably given her more chance of gaining points than playing on clay, but if she feels safer in Europe, or just wants to keep her (PR) options open (whatever they may be), then good luck to her.

There is that 125K event in Austria in week 1 of the US Open, and with the vast majority of the top 130+ in America (plus other doubles players), while she may still not get in without her PR, she might actually have a chance of doing something in a slightly weaker field, even if it is on clay.

Opportunities in 2020 for our 200-500 girls are going to be limited, but at least Katie does have a few more options available to her, and she should be able to get into just about any event she wants to for a while.
And yet she skipped the Fed Cup to avoid aggravating her back on Clay in February. That's probably a greater risk to her career than catching Covid-19.

I'm still rather surprised she didn't want to go to New York given hardcourts are her best surface and all the other eligible GB players are willing.

I see on Instagram she has signed up to online coaching site TopCourt which I guess is an additional source of income other than prize money.

761 - 779 of 779 Posts