Tennis Forum banner

741 - 760 of 767 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Week 2 of the Katie B comeback against another qualifier (Ramu Ueda) and once again Katie loses the first set tie-break.

But this time she recovered well to take the next 2 sets 6-4 6-0.

Plays 6th seed Fang Ying Xun (WTA rank 224) next.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's gonna be a long road back, she can't get much traction now, PR can only take you so far, but I hope she can bounce back, I sense there is a good fighting spirit in her now, hope she has a good team around her and is fully fit, for example Stojanović made a surge into top 100 after a couple of months of injury layoff while never getting there before, so I think it's doable in due time, wish her the best.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Looks like she plans to play the December Indian W25 swing. She's down for an event there on the 2nd and the 9th, there's another one on the 16th where you currently can't see the entry list, so she may well play there too.

I'm not saying it will, but if the worst did come to the worst and she can't get back in, or anywhere near, the top 100 then at least she will be able to pocket circa 50k at both the AO and FO using her PR, and if she's in and around 250 by Wimbledon, you'd think she'd probably get a MDWC there (although you can't tell with Wimbledon these days...), and if she did manage a win in any of those events like vs a WC or a Q, then a potential 200k+ return would be decent.

Hopefully it won't come to that though, and it would be nice if she could get a notable win in any of these Indian events to gain a bit of optimism heading into the new year.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Looks like she plans to play the December Indian W25 swing. She's down for an event there on the 2nd and the 9th, there's another one on the 16th where you currently can't see the entry list, so she may well play there too.

I'm not saying it will, but if the worst did come to the worst and she can't get back in, or anywhere near, the top 100 then at least she will be able to pocket circa 50k at both the AO and FO using her PR, and if she's in and around 250 by Wimbledon, you'd think she'd probably get a MDWC there (although you can't tell with Wimbledon these days...), and if she did manage a win in any of those events like vs a WC or a Q, then a potential 200k+ return would be decent.

Hopefully it won't come to that though, and it would be nice if she could get a notable win in any of these Indian events to gain a bit of optimism heading into the new year.
This presents a rather gloomy picture. If she's ranked 250 by around Wimbledon she won't have much progress in the next 7 months. It's also unfortunate that she suffered a serious injury in what turned out to be a meaningless team match.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
This presents a rather gloomy picture. If she's ranked 250 by around Wimbledon she won't have much progress in the next 7 months. It's also unfortunate that she suffered a serious injury in what turned out to be a meaningless team match.
It is unfortunate, but injuries can happen any time, anywhere, so I'm personally not too miffed that it happened during that Fed Cup tie, and while yes, in theory, had GB lost they'd still have been in exactly the same position, at the time we needed to win the tie and weren't to know about the changes, and those moments will be something that Katie has for the rest of her career, and I'd imagine when she hangs up her racket, MP against Diyas will still be one of her personal highlights, but yes, a bit unfortunate / annoying as it turned out.

Everyone is different, and injuries will be more damaging / heel differently, but it is hard coming back after so long, especially if you had just forced your way into the top 100 after a significant quick rise up the rankings. Dodin is pretty much the same age as Katie (she's 2 months younger), but she was previously in the top 50, and she retired in a match in July 2018 and didn't return for 9 months at Sunderland W25 in April 2019 where she was ranked 402 - she is starting to win matches and has climbed the rankings, but it is slow - we are nearly in December and she's currently just 181 which is a long way off her CH of 46 and while obviously not her fault, she's bascially wasted 2 years of her career being out injured, trying to come back, but still being well off where she has been previously.

Tennis Abstract: Oceane Dodin WTA Match Results, Splits, and Analysis

Even if Katie can get back towards the top 100 this time next year / early 2021, and I'd imagine she would definitely snap your hands off if offered that, she was 88 in the world after beating Makarova at the AO earlier this year, but has only won 5 point scoring matches since, so if she was 100 at the start of 2021 then she'd too have wasted 2 years just to get back to where she was, and then she would be 24 and a half, and not really a young player any more. At least French fans have Garcia, Mladenovic and Ferro who they can consistenly watch in WTA events, so Dodin's absense probably wouldn't be as missed for those who avidly follow French women's tennis, whereas for us, it's pretty much just Konta, with Parmentier and Watson both floating in and out of the top 100, so it was a very untimely blow.

Who knows, she could maybe draw a LL and a Q like Harriet did at Wimbledon, and maybe make the the AO 3rd round which would help massively in terms of climbing up the rankings quicker, but I do suspect it will be a fairly slow process. I wish her well.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Profits from Emma Raducanu's retirement to make the quarters. Plays 4th seed Ulrikke Eikeri (conqueror of Freya) next.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Katie into the semis, as is Naiktha Bains. Boulter now plays 2nd seed Ankita Raina whilst Bains plays 6th seed Diana Marcinkevica.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Katie won her 1st round match in Pune easily enough but her 2nd round match with Naiktha Bains won't happen. Naiktha is into the quarter final by a walkover.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Instagram Stories

741 - 760 of 767 Posts