Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you rate her chances to win Wimbledon in 2019?

Pliskova has a great record at Eastbourne winning twice and playing three finals, and yet has a diabolical record at Wimbledon. Why would that be and what does she need to improve to win Wimbledon or any slam title for that matter?

I understand she has been improving her movement under Conchita Martinez. When I saw her play in Eastbourne two years ago against Kuznetsova, I found it a bit disconcerting how low she was hitting the ball over the net in rallies, there was not much margin for error at all but she looked very good today against Kerber, although we've seen this before. Will it be different this time?

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
How do you rate her chances to win Wimbledon in 2019?

Pliskova has a great record at Eastbourne winning twice and playing three finals, and yet has a diabolical record at Wimbledon. Why would that be and what does she need to improve to win Wimbledon or any slam title for that matter?

I understand she has been improving her movement under Conchita Martinez. When I saw her play in Eastbourne two years ago against Kuznetsova, I found it a bit disconcerting how low she was hitting the ball over the net in rallies, there was not much margin for error at all but she looked very good today against Kerber, although we've seen this before. Will it be different this time?
She will perfectly fail as she always does when it really matters. Once a choker, always a choker. Even Svitolina has won more P5/PMs than this non-existing robotic prospect.

·
Registered
115,505 Posts
Pliskova is in the right half. There is a mental difference between eastbourne and this major and she has to hold serve all the way thru next 2 weeks

·
Registered
56,658 Posts
Very good chances to reach the Wimbledon final.
She just played her best ever grass court tennis at Eastbourne. Very impressive :worship:

BUT
She already has to start on Monday :eek: (Kerber on Tuesday)
I heard that Wimbledon courts are slow this year. Not good for Karolina ...
Karolina never played well at Wimbledon. She never reached the QF at Wimbledon.
She has tricky slice players in her section: Flipkens, Hsieh, Sevastova, Martic (they could upset her)

All depends on Karolina and if she can show her best tennis at Wimbledon too.
If she plays the high level from Eastbourne, then nobody can stop her until the final.

·
Premium Member
44,070 Posts
I was actually wondering if the grass was different between Eastbourne and Wimbledon. Are there grass courts slower than others?

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
let's all hope she doesn't make it

·
Registered
56,658 Posts
I was actually wondering if the grass was different between Eastbourne and Wimbledon. Are there grass courts slower than others?
Yes, Wimbledon courts are slower than Eastbourne :(
-> Woz and Karo Pliskova are successful at Eastbourne and weak at Wimbledon.
The slow Wimbledon courts these days are a problem for both.

I wish Wimbledon still had fast courts ...

Reactions: Hugues

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
She could win it, but will probably lose it. So, 50/50. As usual, she'll probably go to the second week then run out of steam when it really matters.

Reactions: amyd_1989

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
She could win it, but will probably lose it. So, 50/50. As usual, she'll probably go to the second week then run out of steam when it really matters.
I think you are right.

·
Premium Member
44,070 Posts

That was also my impression (slower at Wimbledon). Thanks for confirming. :)

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Pretty low, especially now that she peaked to win Eastbourne.

Most other players who lost in Eastbourne can go up a gear or two, but Pliskova can't. This is as good as it gets (it will actually get worse in the second week of Wimby when the fatigue and nerves settle in), and it's never enough

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

'Wimbledon courts are slower than Eastbourne', that's a reason for celebration for someone who plays well on clay and had some issues adapting on the fast courts of Eastbourne. Fistpumps! :smile2:

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Eastbourne is "good enough" for Karolina and her titles on grass. Wimbledon remains reserved for Petra as the Czech nominee until she retires.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
'Wimbledon courts are slower than Eastbourne', that's a reason for celebration for someone who plays well on clay and had some issues adapting on the fast courts of Eastbourne. Fistpumps! :smile2:
Grass doesn't reward topspin, quite the contrary. A successful grass court player hits flat, takes the ball early, on the rise and redirects instead of absorbing pace. So it's no surprise that transition to grass can be very tricky for a lot of players.

It has less to do with court speed. A lot of good clay court players actually prefer faster surfaces when it comes to grass/hard.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts