Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
20,780 Posts

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Fed Cup lost its value around 2 decades ago; who can blame the players? The whole system needs a complete rehaul - the ITF really lack innovation & long term planning in this case. Rather than trying to fit it in aroundo WTA calendar they could be looking at utilising a week during the off season and turn it into a week long event.

·
Registered
37,493 Posts
I believe it's Chingching :eek:h:
I'm famous now :eek:h:

The situation is quite a mess, apparently Randpere (Kanepi's agent) actually requested 140000 Euros (the amount she pays her coach) for a year of Tallink Sponsorship (which is conditional on playing Fed Cup). She refused an earlier 50000 Euro deal. No one except Kaia and maybe her agent knows how sick she really is. Kanepi was definitely sick in Brisbane and AO, so arguably still is, but the reality is she probably would have played in the team if they reached a financial deal. Based on what's been said from both sides, I think I agree with the Fed Cup Captain Märten Tamla, especially given what he says in this article.

FedCupi naiskonna treener Tamla Kanepist: kolme mängu eest 100 000 küsida pole normaalne

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
In other countries, like France and Italy for example, if one refuses to play Fed Cup for free can be fined, at the sole discretion of the local federation, with something between 10 000 and 30 000 Euro.

·
Registered
25,699 Posts
Good for her to know her worth! She knows she doesn't have much longer to make big money on the pro tour, so she's trying to get it any way she can.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Has she not had issues with her sponsor before?

Would the €100k (or €50k) contract have covered just the Euro-Africa zone ties, or would it also have committed her to play whenever needed this year - ie in a possible play-off in an unknown location and on an unknown surface in April?

€50k would seem like a good paycheck for a few days against poor competition in her hometown. Maybe less generous if it commits her to a trip that might not fit her schedule.

·
Registered
15,519 Posts
she should be ashamed. Fed Cup is not about $$$$ but about representing your country. Poor Kontaveit, will have to deal with "this" alone.

·
Registered
28,266 Posts
Good for her to know her worth! She knows she doesn't have much longer to make big money on the pro tour, so she's trying to get it any way she can.
I mean, Ok but stop with the bullshit “I’m sick” excuse then.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
:facepalm: :help:

Anyway ... I think there are are only few countries whose players ultimately care about Fed Cup (like Czech Republic). Maybe if players were more committed then more people would watch Fed Cup regularly (including me).

Reactions: *Jool*
1 - 20 of 65 Posts