Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty ambivalent about the match between Justine and Serena. It would have been nice to see Serena continue her run, but Justine is a hard worker, so I wouldn't have been disappointed if she had won.

then I saw the match today. The way those people treated Serena was just wrong, and completely unfair. If the situation were reversed and Justine had questioned those same calls, that crowd would not have gone as insane as they did today. They were out for blood.

Serena will probably bounce back by Wimby, but actions like those idiots in France take most of the joy out of tennis for me. It just sucks to me when a crowd can treat a human being like that for no reason at all. Would have been nice if Justine could have won that match without all the human interference. and I thought Indian Wells was bad. :sad:

Reactions: Yak and Sonja

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
For the love of God stop crying! Williams fans have their heads clouded like I've never seen before! Are you ready for the facts?

They booed Serena twice:

1) During the game when she questioned the calls

2) After she breezed by Justine at the net, barely giving a handshake.

That is it. The crowd was hardly that bad. Get over it.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I have this match taped at home...I'm not sure if I will even watch it..

The fact that Serena was reduced to tears by a ravenous crowd sours the efforts of both of these ladies...tennis matches shouldn't come to this. :mad: :fiery:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
o0O0o said:
For the love of God stop crying! Williams fans have their heads clouded like I've never seen before! Are you ready for the facts?

They booed Serena twice:

1) During the game when she questioned the calls

2) After she breezed by Justine at the net, barely giving a handshake.

That is it. The crowd was hardly that bad. Get over it.
I wouldn't expect an idiot such as yourself to know anything about common decency, but there is was none today during the 3rd set for Serena. But I wouldn't expect people like you to understand that.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mrs. Peel, now that it has been described so terribly, you might not be so disturbed as it is bound to be less than you have imagined. The tennis was pretty good at times. It wasn't Nadia and Jen, but it had its moments.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Bella said:
Mrs. Peel, now that it has been described so terribly, you might not be so disturbed as it is bound to be less than you have imagined. The tennis was pretty good at times. It wasn't Nadia and Jen, but it had its moments.

Thanks for your concern darling...but I'm just not interested anymore :kiss:

OoOoO or whatever he calls himself knowing common decency? That is laughable...coming from someone whose sparkling repartee around here makes him as appealing as a bleeding hemorroid!

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,011 Posts
Justine's win left a bad taste in my mouth
What exactly were you doing while watching tennis?

Reactions: Lisbeth

·
Registered
82 Posts
You guys are conveniently confusing the two situations;

1. Did Serena cross over the net to check a line?
2. Did Serena try to stop her opponent's momentum by taking a lengthy toilet break(she was not injured)?
3. Did Serena serve underhand to throw off her opponent?

What exactly did Serena do that made the crowd root viciously against her instead of just rooting for Justine which is understandable?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tarsius said:
Have you guys ever been to a basketball match? How about a soccer match?

I guess tennis IS a country club sport.
I don't suppose you've noticed that there isn't 10 or so other team mates out on a tennis court with you to suffer the brunt of a viscious crowd.

The French crowd were out of order, its as simple as that. I'm not a William's fan at all, but that was a disgrace.

·
Registered
829 Posts
So basically what you're saying is that its OK for the crowd to act like that as long as the players have shoulders to cry on on the court?

I feel sorry for basketball and soccer players then.

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Actually her win left a good taste in my mouth. I was munching on brownies then. :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Well, I did not see the match, so I have to say that upfront. From what I read, it seems like the French crowd was awful. Perhaps Martina Hingis earned that ire in the '99 final (perhaps), but I recall the French crowd booing Arantxa at least one year when she was like a 2 or 3 time champion at that point, and European as well. I don't know what the crowd is up to, but I think any girl ranked 200 or 1 deserves enough respect to at least not be booed. If they want the other girl to win, ok, but I cannot understand booing and hissing at any player, any player at all, unless she gave the bird to the crowd or something, which Serena obviously did not do. Serena is their reigning champion and was so happy there last year when it was her first slam in like 2 and a half years.

Again, no one who plays on the circuit deserves what Serena got today, even if she was a 200 in the world qualifier. While I think they overreacted to Hingis in the '99 final, as I said above, the French crowd has been terrible to Arantxa, and that was her big tournament that she won a lot, and NO ONE played with more heart that Arantxa. I cannot explain it, but Serena got treated like shit today, but she wasn't the first, and I am sure, won't be the last.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Tarsius said:
Have you guys ever been to a basketball match? How about a soccer match?

I guess tennis IS a country club sport.
Or any code of football, cricket, water polo ... well said! And it's not just the French, crowds can behave atrociously in any country (ask the Brits or NZers about Aussie crowds, or Aussie swimmers about Americans who just walked out to get snacks or go home actually during medal ceremonies in Atlanta if the "wrong" anthem was playing.)

EDIT: Read some other stuff after I posted this and think I should add that this crowd did sound pretty bad - I'm not condoning them ir saying that every other crowd is as bad. But it's still part of the sport and something players just have to deal with.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I was watching the match, and the crowd were nowhere near as vicious as they were to Martina Hingis. They clapped Serenas good shots. But they were cheering for Justine. You are going to get partisan crowds. That is the way things are in major sport. Players have to live with that.

The surprise is not that the crowd was solidly for Francophone Justine, but that in the US the crowds tend not to root for the Williamses.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts