Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you think it will/should be her schedule for 2008? :wavey: I'll go with:

Jan 7 - Sydney - Tier II
Jan 14 - Australian Open - GS
Feb 18 - Doha - Tier I
Feb 25 - Dubai - Tier II
Mar 26 - Miami - Tier I
Apr 7 - Charleston - Tier I
May 5 - Berlin - Tier I
May 26 - Roland Garros - GS
Jun 23 - Wimbledon - GS
Jul 28 - Montreal - Tier I
Aug 10 - Beijing - Olympics
Aug 25 - US Open - GS
Sep 29 - Stuttgart - Tier II
Oct 13 - Zurich - Tier II
Nov 3 - Doha - YEC

That's 15 tournaments:
4 GS
1 YEC
1 Olympics
5 Tier I
4 Tier II

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it is too much, she could drop Indian Wells, Charleston and/or Montreal. Actually, the best would be to skip Miami, but I don't think she is allowed to do that. :(

·
Registered
734 Posts
What do you think it will/should be her schedule for 2008? :wavey: I'll go with:

Jan 7 - Sydney - Tier II
Feb 18 - Doha - Tier I
Feb 25 - Dubai - Tier II
Mar 12 - Indian Wells - Tier I
Mar 26 - Miami - Tier I
Apr 28 - Warsaw - Tier II
May 5 - Berlin - Tier I
Jun 23 - Wimbledon - GS
Aug 25 - US Open - GS
Nov 3 - Doha - YEC

That's 17 tournaments:
4 GS
1 YEC
1 Olympics
6 Tier I
5 Tier II

What do you think?
17 tournaments are definetly too much for Justine ... erase Indian Wells, Charleston and Montreal ... otherwise a pretty ideal schedule ;). But I still want her to play Goldcoast instead of Sydney, but you guys don't agree with me ;)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,060 Posts
I'll just repost the schedule i made in an other thread and the reasons why.

i think her schedule will be:

Sydney
Australian Open

doha
dubai
miami

warschau
berlin
French Open

Wimbledon(please drop out eastbourne!!!)

Olympics
US Open

Stuttgart
Zurich or Moscow
YEC

First half of the season:
She will play sydney because she wants a warm-up before AO(please dont do that at eastbourne ju). She won't play open gaz de france because its too close after AO. She'll do the middle east double again, no indian wells because miami is obligated.(she doesnt play 4 weeks in a row) No charleston because its too close after miami, she has a title to defend at warschau and she likes berlin. Then hopefully no eastbourne and then wimbledon.

Second half of the season:

No toronto this year because it's the week before olympics.(they should have switched toronto with los angeles so toronto can be a week earlier.(tier1) She won't play in los angeles or stanford because she likes her holidays after wimbledon. Then she'll start the summerseason at the olympics. No tokio(tier1) because it's too close after the usopen. Then stuttgart(defending title) and zurich. She won't play moskou because she doesn't really like it there and doha is a tier1 now so she will have played the same amount of tier1's as 2007.

2007 she played:

3 grandslams
4 tier1's
6 tier2's
YEC
= 14 events

2008 will be(with my schedule):
4 grandslams
4 tier1's (olympics gets tier1 points, right?)
5 tier2's
YEC(probably)
=14 events

That's my take on the 2008 season. She shouldn't play more and shouldn't play less. This is the perfect amount.:wavey:

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
ideally it would be great if they switched the scheduling for Gold coast and sydney around

i don't want her to play GC because its a Tier III
i don't think the sydney situation is quite the same as the eastbourne one

·
Registered
337 Posts
Indian Wells doesn't fit well at all. I know Justine and Carlos use Sydney as a warm up for the AO so she'll probably be there again. Warsaw and Zurich are the other two that don't fit as well next year as they did this year.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,060 Posts
Indian Wells is a mandatory event after this year, just like Miami is mandatory.
yeah but justine won't play both and we all know it. She will withdraw from indian wells with some injury.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Ju may try to play both..but it'll be interesting to see what she does. I guess she'll only play one warm-up tourny for clay if she doesn't play Charleston.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

Jan 7 - Sydney - Tier II
Feb 18 - Doha - Tier I
Feb 25 - Dubai - Tier II
Mar 26 - Miami - Tier I
May 5 - Berlin - Tier I
Jun 23 - Wimbledon - GS
Aug 25 - US Open - GS
Nov 3 - Doha - YEC

That's 17 tournaments:
4 GS
1 YEC
1 Olympics
6 Tier I
5 Tier II

What do you think?
I think this is too much for her. I think 12- 15 tournaments will be more than enough for her.

·
Registered
17,392 Posts

Jan 7 - Sydney - Tier II
Feb 18 - Doha - Tier I
Feb 25 - Dubai - Tier II
Mar 26 - Miami - Tier I
May 5 - Berlin - Tier I
Jun 23 - Wimbledon - GS
Aug 25 - US Open - GS
Nov 3 - Doha - YEC

That's 17 tournaments:
4 GS
1 YEC
1 Olympics
6 Tier I
5 Tier II

What do you think?

This is way way way too much for her.

The worriest thing for Justine next year is she could be playing RG, Wimbledon, Olympics and the USO all in a row. As in, she (hopefully) won't be playing Eastbourne or Montreal, so unless she adds a tournament after Wimbledon, every time she steps onto the court for about a 4 month stretch will be to contest for a major title. That's kind terrifying.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I believe she will reach even greater heights next year. Her health and physical condition are the major concerns. Let trust her and Carlos in building her schedule around the 4 GS and the Olympic. Everything else is secondary. Pretty sure there will be no Eastbourne.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
403 Posts
it seems there's no surface change in Aus series except AO. So Sydney may be so slow considering AO's new surface. Any information about the new surface? Will it be like another USO?

Edit: i googled some;
http://australian.open-tennis.com/tennis-court-surfaces.php

http://www.plexipave.com/systems/tennis/plexicushion/plexicushion.html

Sydney too; https://www.clubsonline.com.au/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_listing&OrgID=870&cfid=1452322&cftoken=21735626&dts=310200754427

So i think it'll be nearly similar to IW (uses Plexipave)

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Eastbourne is gone for good, two titles are more than enough for Justine's resume and she's learned that towards Wimbledon's end she is mentally and physically drained.

Sydney is also a doubt. I'd rather see her play Gold Coast instead or no warm-ups at all. C'mon, it's not like she needs it all that much, especially on a hardcourt! But since the AO is changing surfaces, it'd be nice to have a warm-up, even if it's not in the same court.

I'd personally like for her to play the biggest events (Tier I) instead of the ones she usually is doing. Tokyo, Rome or Moscow all would be nice additions, and you guys are right, the schedule has to work around the 4 GS and the Olympics, everything else is secondary, so I'd like to see something like this:

(Gold Coast)
Australian Open
Doha
Indian Wells
Miami
Berlin
Rome
Roland Garros
Wimbledon
Olympics
US Open
Moscow
Zurich
YEC

I'm still not so sure about Gold Coast (let alone Sydney), and I know she wants enough rest before RG and Wimbledon, but she could have plenty of that already not playing Charleston and Warsaw.

Is Indian Wells truly a mandatory event next year? Because if it's not, Justine will most likely play Doha and Dubai, not Indian Wells.

I guess that's a good schedule. 13-14 tournaments is ideal for Justine and they're pretty balanced throughout the season! Let's hope she performs as well if not better in 2008!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
There is no point in playing Sydney if the surface is not the same. She needs to go to Melbourne earlier and just practise.

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Eastbourne is gone for good, two titles are more than enough for Justine's resume and she's learned that towards Wimbledon's end she is mentally and physically drained.

Sydney is also a doubt. I'd rather see her play Gold Coast instead or no warm-ups at all. C'mon, it's not like she needs it all that much, especially on a hardcourt! But since the AO is changing surfaces, it'd be nice to have a warm-up, even if it's not in the same court.

I'd personally like for her to play the biggest events (Tier I) instead of the ones she usually is doing. Tokyo, Rome or Moscow all would be nice additions, and you guys are right, the schedule has to work around the 4 GS and the Olympics, everything else is secondary, so I'd like to see something like this:

(Gold Coast)
Australian Open
Doha
Indian Wells
Miami
Berlin
Rome
Roland Garros
Wimbledon
Olympics
US Open
Moscow
Zurich
YEC

I'm still not so sure about Gold Coast (let alone Sydney), and I know she wants enough rest before RG and Wimbledon, but she could have plenty of that already not playing Charleston and Warsaw.

Is Indian Wells truly a mandatory event next year? Because if it's not, Justine will most likely play Doha and Dubai, not Indian Wells.

I guess that's a good schedule. 13-14 tournaments is ideal for Justine and they're pretty balanced throughout the season! Let's hope she performs as well if not better in 2008!
Seriously I don't think an IW/MIAMI is ever gonna happen. That's 4 straight weeks of pointless hardcourt tennis. Also, I doubt she'll be giving up Dubia.

She won't be playing Rome again EVER. The Warsaw/Berlin or just Berlin warmp has worked for her and has gotten her 4 RGs. She shouldn't change that.

The thing the worries me most is the RG, WIM, OLY and USO section. It's going to be high pressure to play 4 of the biggest tournaments of the year in a 3 month stretch without playing any smaller events. It's like every time you step onto the court you're playing for a huge title.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts