Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this was posted.......

PATRICK SMITH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Justine's dark side emerges on greatest day

June 07, 2003
SPRINGBOK coach Rudolf Straeuli has laid down the law for his nation's tilt at the World Cup. There will be no alcohol to drink, no sex to be had, no mobile phones to answer and no ping to be ponged.

No grog and no hanky panky are standard exclusions. We can understand those stipulations. Mobile phones are a distraction, too. But no ping pong. This man must be deadly serious. It can only be devastating news to the South African squad. Straeuli must be careful. Grown men suffering ping-pong withdrawal can turn reckless in a heart beat.

Straeuli's regime underlines what lengths sports people will go to if they believe they can snatch victory. We have seen other instances of it this week. Didn't like any of them. There is some grave doubt now over how far Chicago Cubs legend Sammy Sosa will push the limits. He has put new meaning into playing a corker.

He asks that we believe his story that he mistakenly used his exhibition bat that is cork-filled so he can clout the ball further. We are thinking that over.

At Roland Garros, Justine Henin-Hardenne discovered how far she will go to win. She might not like what she found. It might not worry her at all. Sadly, it should.

Sport sets an examination that tests all of us from top to bottom. From our head to our heart. Our hands, legs and lungs. Most of the questions are elementary and familiar. We know the answers before they are asked. How hard we will run. How much pain we will tolerate. How hot our lungs must burn before we yield. But there is always one that fundamentally tests your soul.

For the Belgian it came when she trailed 4-2 and 30-0 on Williams' serve in the third set of their semi-final. As Williams began her service action Henin-Hardenne held up her left hand to suggest she was not ready. The Williams serve found the net. The American looked to the umpire expecting her to allow her to replay her first serve.

However, the umpire did not see Henin-Hardenne raise her hand and allowed the fault to stand. At this very moment the Belgian woman was asked sport's most important question. Will you do anything to win? The Belgian's reply was anything and everything.

As Williams rightly discussed the point with the umpire, Henin-Hardenne stood by the baseline. She said nothing, did nothing. She should have indicated to the umpire that she had raised her hand in a bid to stop Williams' serve.

It was her duty but she did not. Winning, and only winning, had consumed her utterly.

Williams remained as composed as she could in the face of such poor sportsmanship. The crowd turned against her even more, booed and jeered, applauded her errors. She lost the match and a chance to win a fifth straight grand slam title.

Henin-Hardenne lost a lot more. Williams shook hands with her opponent after the match. It was as pointed as it was perfunct

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,020 Posts
Queen Elisabeth said:
This was posted already. Just stop nagging. :rolleyes:
Why not? Lying and breaking the rules should not be left forgotten.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
poor leslie..guess she'll carry this into her grave :)

probably an article written by some dumb idiot like leslie who still can't accept the fact that Serena lost.

·
41,227 Posts
ys said:
oh please ...not saying anything is not lying..and not one rule says that Justine had to react :rolleyes:

GROW UP and ACCEPT IT!

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
must be an american writer.:rolleyes:

I think everyone has pointed out the reason why Justine didn't lie nor cheat.

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Why dont we just, I dont know, focus on the current tournaments, Wimbledon... SOUNDS Like a plan to me. Everythings already been said about the French, lets let it go, its just kicking a dead horse......

·
***** Emeritus
42,287 Posts
Some of you should watch a soccer match one of these days...

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,020 Posts
Again we are not talking about result of the match. We are not talking about Serena. We are talking about Justine The Cheater, Liar and Rulebreaker.

Just to clear this on:

From ITF regulations:
http://www.itftennis.com/html/rule/frameset.html

12. WHEN TO SERVE
The Server shall not serve until the Receiver is ready. If the latter attempts to return
the service, he shall be deemed ready. If, however, the Receiver signifies that he is
not ready, he may not claim a fault because the ball does not hit the ground within
the limits fixed for the service.

Clear and obvious.

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
per4ever said:
poor leslie..guess she'll carry this into her grave :)

probably an article written by some dumb idiot like leslie who still can't accept the fact that Serena lost.
I can accept the fact that Serena lost but I cannot accept the fact that justlying lied blantantly like she did to win a point. And believe me if Serena had done what justlying did I would be posting all the articles about her also. Wrong is wrong I do not care who did it and I will not let you guys forget it. If you are tired of the articles do not read them :mad: :fiery: .

·
41,227 Posts
12. WHEN TO SERVE
The Server shall not serve until the Receiver is ready. If the latter attempts to return
the service, he shall be deemed ready. If, however, the Receiver signifies that he is
not ready, he may not claim a fault because the ball does not hit the ground within
the limits fixed for the service.

exactly..very clear

·
41,227 Posts
leslie said:
I can accept the fact that Serena lost but I cannot accept the fact that justlying lied blantantly like she did to win a point. And believe me if Serena had done what justlying did I would be posting all the articles about her also. Wrong is wrong I do not care who did it and I will not let you guys forget it. If you are tired of the articles do not read them :mad: :fiery: .
there's nothing to forget..that's the point..to us it's not even a fault.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
It's just unbelievable how this story keeps living its own life. "Van een mug een olifant maken", as we say in Belgium...

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You stupid *****, how many threads concerning the Justine-Serena match are you gonna post!
I'm really tired of reading all of your shit!
Lousy loser, even Serena is a more gracious loser than you are!

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
per and other Juju fans leave those sore losers alone... just don't respond to them... hopefuly they'll choke on their hate and poison. life will be better on this board.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
First of all ys, your opinions are rather biased already, as you've made it clear in the past how much you don't like Justine.

Secondly, I've matched the match over and over again. When Justine held up her hand to signify she was not ready, it was too late. Serena was in full swing already, that is how Serena saw Justine's hand up. Unless, she saw it before and decided to serve ANYWAYS. Pick your choice, either way Serena should also get the blame.

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
ys said:
and where is it in the rules that this needed to be indicated? i agree that was wrong. but wrong by the rules??? which rules?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts