Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

· Registered
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They only played twice...one was a retirement...so would martina come back and kick justine's butt all over the court like before? Strengths? weaknesses?

Martina Hingis (SUI) vs. Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL)
2000-01-17
Australian OpenHardcourtR64Martina Hingis (SUI)6-3 6-3

2000-10-02
FilderstadtIndoor HardcourtR16Martina Hingis (SUI)6-3 3-0 ret

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Hingis in top form I think would outsmart Henin. Henin is maybe more powerful now, but Hingis would still have too much change of space, court usage for Henin.

· Registered
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bandabou said:
Hingis in top form I think would outsmart Henin. Henin is maybe more powerful now, but Hingis would still have too much change of space, court usage for Henin.

Hmmm, very true, but you forget that juju's cocaine hab.. i mean extra training makes her very speedy! should race around the court and get back every ball martina deigned to patty cake over the net.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:
Hmmm, very true, but you forget that juju's cocaine hab.. i mean extra training makes her very speedy! should race around the court and get back every ball martina deigned to patty cake over the net.
Deigned- I'm impressed! Thank you for exploring the English language! Cute little aside about the habit- how do you know? What have you heard?

Oh, P.S.- Henin in straights- too much power.

· Registered
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alfajeffster said:
Deigned- I'm impressed! Thank you for exploring the English language! Cute little aside about the habit- how do you know? What have you heard?

Oh, P.S.- Henin in straights- too much power.

im only joshing. Im sure justine doesn't do anything stronger than sweet n low.

Justine would certainly trash martina today making her look as if she had elephantitis in form and mind. I can picture it now!

Justine's backhand whips the ball by marinta who cowers at the net..

martina: wh...wha..what was that?

justine: my backhand for sure is better than your whole game now I think.

Martina clever as ever has a response.

Martina: i'll play her forehand...ha!

Justine's forehand rockets past martina who spins in the backdraft like a pudgy top while justine gets in a few crunches between serves.

Martina: Oh...oh...oh..mommy.

Reactions: gentenaire

· NeverWoz
25,696 Posts
Hingis beat Venus, Serena, Seles and Lindsay consistantly at her best (not at THEIR best thought). Venus and Serena have more power and better speed then Justine. All of those ladies hit harder then Justine. I think Hingis at her best would take out Justine in three, on any surface.

· Registered
7,446 Posts
The Hingis of 1997-2002(aussie open) would outsmart justine and win comfortably. Justine is probably around the standard of venus in 97 so martina should win. But that's assuming martina is confident and can close out matches!!

However if Hingis had met justine in the 2002 US Open, she'd have lost easily.

· Registered
2,666 Posts
Justine IMO.

Justine has power, finesse, and definitely all the shots just like Martina. I think in the end Justine is a very smart player and Martina is only a slight bit smarter so Justine's power is the deciding factor.

She would be all over Martina's serve!! :p

· Registered
2,666 Posts
ys said:
She could not even be all over Dementieva's serve, from what I've seen.
Elena's serve is very slow and has alot of slice, which can give players problems trying to create their own pace and you have to keep yer feet moving to hit it on yer sweet spot.

Hingis' second serve has okay pace and is always the same pretty much. Seeing what Justine has done to Kim's, Jennifer's, and Venus' serve in the past, she would destroy Martina on her second serve. :p

· Registered
1,052 Posts
This is one of the toughest to call.

I think if both met at their very very best - Hingis 1999/2000 vs Justine summer 2003 it would be a real battle.

However, I just think Hingis would out think and outplay Justine when it really mattered. In her 2 most dissapointing losses of 2000 (wimby QF and US SF to Venus), Hingis showed a level of play superior to what she used to win with and in 2000 i reckon she was at the peak of her form and I think she would beat Justine in three sets on every surface except clay where Justine would win.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
~\/enus~ said:
Elena's serve is very slow and has alot of slice, which can give players problems trying to create their own pace and you have to keep yer feet moving to hit it on yer sweet spot.

Hingis' second serve has okay pace and is always the same pretty much. Seeing what Justine has done to Kim's, Jennifer's, and Venus' serve in the past, she would destroy Martina on her second serve. :p
Pliuuuzz! Don´t even come with no-pace and slice thing. Serena was totally DESTROYING that serve at Wimbledon, so it´s only Justine who´s trouble with it.

How quickly people forget. Justine wins two slams and all of sudden people want to deem her better than Hingis?! Hingis did all of what Justine is oohing and ahhhing people with now, but better.

· Registered
251 Posts
Not taking anything away from Justin's talent, she has plenty but Martina would still take Justine. It would be a more challanging match between the two but Martina would still come out in front. Martina and Justin were a great pair to watch. Martina is still the most natural player to date. She is missed!!!

· Adrenaline junkie
24,904 Posts
~\/enus~ said:

Are you trying to say that Elena's serve, no matter how awful it looks, is in fact more effective?

· Chionophile
40,243 Posts
Here's how I break it down:

Serve: Justine (Martina is more consistent, but Justine's improvement on her serve is the reason why she owns 2 slams right now.)
Forehand: Justine (Martina's forehand is too loopy and too much topspin, Justine really impressed me with her forehand at this year's Open.)
Backhand: Martina (This is tough, but Justine's backhand is more spectacular, but Martina's is much much more reliable and effective. She rarely misses with that wing.)
Volley: Martina (This was Martina's big strength. Justine can volley, but Martina's that much better.)
Speed: Equal (At their best, they're one of the fastest players on tour, and can keep going for a long time.)
Mental Strength: Justine (Justine has nerves of steel, and lately she's been showing that a lot. This girl can handle big matches and unruly crowds. Martina couldn't.)

So physically, they're about equal. If Martina came back right now, she'd lose to Justine on mental strength alone. If Martina can believe in herself again, she'd not only be back on tour but will be having a nice rivalry with Justine.

· Registered
19,459 Posts
Sam L said:
Here's how I break it down:

Serve: Justine (Martina is more consistent, but Justine's improvement on her serve is the reason why she owns 2 slams right now.)
Forehand: Justine (Martina's forehand is too loopy and too much topspin, Justine really impressed me with her forehand at this year's Open.)
Backhand: Martina (This is tough, but Justine's backhand is more spectacular, but Martina's is much much more reliable and effective. She rarely misses with that wing.)
Volley: Martina (This was Martina's big strength. Justine can volley, but Martina's that much better.)
Speed: Equal (At their best, they're one of the fastest players on tour, and can keep going for a long time.)
Mental Strength: Justine (Justine has nerves of steel, and lately she's been showing that a lot. This girl can handle big matches and unruly crowds. Martina couldn't.)

So physically, they're about equal. If Martina came back right now, she'd lose to Justine on mental strength alone. If Martina can believe in herself again, she'd not only be back on tour but will be having a nice rivalry with Justine.
Unruly crowds??? When??

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.