Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Justine's all time record against the Russian is no 28-2 with her losses coming to Dementieva this year and Myskina last year.
2002 Pilot Pen df. by Anastasia Myskina 6-7(2) 2-6
2003 Amelia Island df. by Elena Dementieva 6-3 4-6 5-7

Her all time record in finals is now 12-8
her losses>
2001 Wimbledon df. by Venus Williams 1-6 6-3 0-6
2001 Big Island Championships df. by Sandrine Testud 3-6 0-2* retired
2001 Porsche Tennis Grand Prix df. by Lindsay Davenport 5-7 4-6
2002 Gold Coast df. by Venus Williams 5-7 2-6
2002 Antwerp df. by Venus Williams 3-6 7-5 3-6
2002 Amelia Island df. by Venus Williams 6-2 5-7 6-7(5)
2002 Italian Open df. Serena Williams 6-7(6) 4-6
2003 Ordina Open df. by Kim Clijsters 7-6, 0-3* retired
This year alone it is 6-1
Ordina Open df. by Kim Clijsters 7-6, 0-3* retired
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly think that Justine will become a more successful player than Kim. I mean Justine wins a title first, wins a Tier 1 first, wins a Grand Slam first, and has more tier 1s and has more wins over those who are ranked above her. Kim on the otherhand has the #1 ranking on paper but doesn't play like a number 1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
shap_half said:
I honestly think that Justine will become a more successful player than Kim. I mean Justine wins a title first, wins a Tier 1 first, wins a Grand Slam first, and has more tier 1s and has more wins over those who are ranked above her. Kim on the otherhand has the #1 ranking on paper but doesn't play like a number 1.
some very true words! Plus Justine´s a surface where she´s much better than the rest:Clay. Almost her titles all on her clay....whereas Kim´s good on almost all surfaces but she isn´t the best at none of them.

She´s good on clay, but Juju´s better. Kim´s good on hardcourts, but the sisters are MUCH better.....that won´t win you any titles. You have to have surface when you RULE. Like Graf had grass, seles had rebound ace and the sisters have any thing that´s fast: Grass,hardcourts...

So Kim´s best hope may well be rebound ace, but the sisters can play there too...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
rhz said:
and 4 of her losses were against Venus. i want to see a rematch against Venus. 2 of her losses she had to retired because of injuries.
Yep, that would be a rematch.....but I think she hates playing against Venus. Juju and Venus both like the backhand but Venus is more powerful...and Juju hates players who can beat her with a backhand. She´s the only player besides Venus to defeat Serena twice in a final...pretty cool...now if only she could meet Serena on hardcourt to settle that score.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hingiswinsthis said:
yea, half of Justine's titles this year were on hard courts :rolleyes: so much for being just a clay courter.....
That's actually very interesting.

Justine has three hardcourt tournaments and three clay tournaments won this year. And would have had a grass tournament if she hadn't had to retire
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
great smash said:
That's rediculous. Matches need to be completed before calling the outcome.
So since it wasn't completed, Kim is not the winner either?

I think Justine was in a better position to win that match than Kim. Justine has defeated Kim in 2001 in the very same final. Justine up to that point, had never lost a final to Kim. So I think my assumption is quite accurate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
shap_half said:
So since it wasn't completed, Kim is not the winner either?

I think Justine was in a better position to win that match than Kim. Justine has defeated Kim in 2001 in the very same final. Justine up to that point, had never lost a final to Kim. So I think my assumption is quite accurate
I'm not claiming Kim would have won. However Henin barely won the first and was down a break in the second at the time the injury happened. Hardly a sure win...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
shap_half said:
I honestly think that Justine will become a more successful player than Kim. I mean Justine wins a title first, wins a Tier 1 first, wins a Grand Slam first, and has more tier 1s and has more wins over those who are ranked above her. Kim on the otherhand has the #1 ranking on paper but doesn't play like a number 1.
Yes but Kim was always one step ahead in the rankings. And Kim was the first to reach the final of a tier II, a tier I and a grand slam. And Kim has won 16 titles, Justine 12. Of course, Justine won a slam but on the other hand, Kim won the WTA championships. Kim is leading in the head-to-head standings: 8-5. It's true that Kim has a bad record against Justine and the Williams this year but on the other hand she hasn't much problems with the rest of the field. Actually, she had no problems at all with the rest, she is probably the player with shortest average match duration. And she did prove already that she can beat the Williams and Justine. At this moment, she has a mental disadvantage against the Williams and Justine but that's something that can chance in an instant. So who will have the best career? I bet on Kim but it could be close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
great smash said:
I'm not claiming Kim would have won. However Henin barely won the first and was down a break in the second at the time the injury happened. Hardly a sure win...
She was down a break in the first set too and look who won it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
bandabou said:
She was down a break in the first set too and look who won it....
Stop this! She wasn't a sure winner, that's all.

In the same way I regret Kim never got a chance to show she could have won that Masters semi. We'll never found out but just as Kim could have won that final without the default, she could have defeated Venus in LA.

It's a pitty she won by default, just not fair claiming she wouldn't have otherwise.
 

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
Joined
·
8,026 Posts
pfff....Justine has THREE Tier I's this year alone! And not only that she has a Grand Slam. Kim Can't claim either of those things. Kim also can't claim a winning record this year against formewr #1 two-time slam winner Serena W. And her record is tied 3-3 against Justine this year (only people desparate for a win actually include retires). Soon Justine will hold another slam (unless Venus turns up healthy and match tough) and Kim will lose the two things she has that mean anything, the #1 ranking and the Year-Ends
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
XMan said:
Yes but Kim was always one step ahead in the rankings. And Kim was the first to reach the final of a tier II, a tier I and a grand slam. And Kim has won 16 titles, Justine 12. Of course, Justine won a slam but on the other hand, Kim won the WTA championships. Kim is leading in the head-to-head standings: 8-5. It's true that Kim has a bad record against Justine and the Williams this year but on the other hand she hasn't much problems with the rest of the field. Actually, she had no problems at all with the rest, she is probably the player with shortest average match duration. And she did prove already that she can beat the Williams and Justine. At this moment, she has a mental disadvantage against the Williams and Justine but that's something that can chance in an instant. So who will have the best career? I bet on Kim but it could be close.
yes she was the first to get to the finals. but she wasn't the first to win them. Kim could have 9 titles by now and a Grand Slam but she doesn't because Justine beat her in all of it. Justine plays well when she needs to play well. Kim just doesn't. Kim was also a pro a year before Justine. If I remember correctly, Kim was pro in 98 and Justine in 99. All the tournaments Kim won this year, only in two did she have to face either a Williams or Justine and she won one tournament because Justine had to retire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Rtael said:
pfff....Justine has THREE Tier I's this year alone! And not only that she has a Grand Slam. Kim Can't claim either of those things. Kim also can't claim a winning record this year against formewr #1 two-time slam winner Serena W. And her record is tied 3-3 against Justine this year (only people desparate for a win actually include retires). Soon Justine will hold another slam (unless Venus turns up healthy and match tough) and Kim will lose the two things she has that mean anything, the #1 ranking and the Year-Ends
No kidding!! Only player likely to stop Juju right now is Venus...Kim´s still a force, but her mind is a MESS!
 
1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top