Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Justine-Hennin-Hardene (JHH) has surprassed her fellow countryman, Kim Clijsters, in popularity throughout the country since her Roland Garros victory and recent Acura win.

Clijsters was the #1 favorite in Belgium for a few years, but after her meltdown against SERENA WILLIAMS in the Australian Open and her rumored defection to that same country to be with her boyfriend, the tide has clearly turned towards HH, even though she is a much more introvert personality than Clijsters.

With the impending title of #1 coming to Clijsters, this will add even more pressure to a player who will be out to try to prove her critics wrong in their claims that she may not be the most worthy player to hold that title, especially in light that she is not the best female player in the world, as the WILLIAMS still dominater her, but she also is not the best player in her home country of Belgium as well.

Clijsters will have a lot to prove at the upcoming Open as to how she will hold up at the top spot.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
I think it's true that many Belgians now also know Justine :D but and that she's more popular now but if she's the most popular ... can't say ...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Where is this from??

Anyway, who cares...Kim is about to be #1 :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
well... hard to tell I'd say ;)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I think it's clear Kim is more popular in the dutch-speaking part of Belgium and Justine in the french-speaking part of Belgium...

I went to both Fed Cup-meetings in Bree (dutch) and Charleroi (french)...
The support for Kim in Bree was much more than Justine's... In Charleroi Justine was the most supported...

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
stijntje said:
I think it's clear Kim is more popular in the dutch-speaking part of Belgium and Justine in the french-speaking part of Belgium...

The support for Kim in Bree was much more than Justine's... In Charleroi Justine was the most supported...
I think Kim had a great welcome in Charleroi, a better than Justine in Bree. But remeber that it was the first match in Belgium for Justine after RG.

I think Justine has a lot of new fans ... just look at this pic after RG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
stijntje said:

Half of the hall in Bree was filled with family of Kim. ;)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
irma said:
but kim comes from bree that probably plays a part too or not?
Well you have a point there... ;)

I root for both of them... That's for sure...
If the play eachother, it's hard sometimes, but
it will be Kim to turn out my favourite

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
There is a name for that kind of behaviour. It's called "fairweather fans". I think Kim as well as Justine, no, make that "any player" - no, make that "any human being" - can do without that kind of support.

I have much more respect for people who were fans of Justine before she won RG (or San Diego) than fans who would suddenly flock to her now. :) :worship:

Like I'd lose all respect for Kim fans who would abandon her now. :(

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
12,394 Posts
why is it so important to know who's more popular?

it's exceptional for a small country like belgium to have two players in the top-3, so just be proud of it... :bounce:

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Lynx said:
There is a name for that kind of behaviour. It's called "fairweather fans". I think Kim as well as Justine, no, make that "any player" - no, make that "any human being" - can do without that kind of support.

I have much more respect for people who were fans of Justine before she won RG (or San Diego) than fans who would suddenly flock to her now. :) :worship:

Like I'd lose all respect for Kim fans who would abandon her now. :(

:worship:
but I think many people didn't "know" Justine in Flanders before her win in Paris so these persons have some credit ;)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.