Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Source: http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...220:MTFH37424_2006-02-20_13-56-22_L20289582:1

I should never have played Australian Open final-Henin

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:55 PM GMT

By Barry Wood

DUBAI, Feb 20 (Reuters) - Justine Henin-Hardenne believes she should never have attempted to start the Australian Open final against Amelie Mauresmo because she was too ill.

"Now I can think about what happened in Melbourne I have the feeling I should never have walked on the court because it could have been dangerous for me," the Belgian told reporters.

"It's not good to play with your health because you just have one life and you have many tennis tournaments."

The Belgian's decision to stop playing when 6-1 2-0 down in last month's final attracted widespread criticism.

In Dubai to play for the first time since that Melbourne walkout, Henin-Hardenne said on Monday she had been racked with pain during the night before the match. Medication for a shoulder injury had made her feel "very, very bad".

"I'm upset with myself that I didn't call anyone that night before the match. My stomach was in so much pain and I have regrets I should have made the call (to a doctor).

"I cannot stop people thinking something about me, but I know the way I am and I'm totally fine with the fact that I left the court.

"Some people understand and some don't. That's life. You can't make everyone happy and can't make everyone like you."

Fourth seed Henin-Hardenne, France's Mauresmo, Maria Sharapova of Russia and American Lindsay Davenport have been given byes into the second round of the Dubai tournament, and Henin-Hardenne says she plans to draw on the positives from her Australian Open experience.

"I didn't play for four months and I came back and won in Sydney and beat Lindsay Davenport and Maria Sharapova and was again in a Grand Slam final. That's what I have to keep.

"So it's not that I had the opportunity to win another Grand Slam and didn't, because I'm sure I'll have other chances.

"I started to hit the ball 10 days after the final, but I just started to serve two days ago," said Henin-Hardenne.

"I don't know exactly what to expect this week. Now my shoulder is getting better but I just want to go step by step and play my first round and see what's going to happen."

·
¡Davai!
14,076 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Justine :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: she is so right she should never played that Aussie open final for walk out like that

·
God Gave Us Rock 'N' Roll
47,931 Posts
sad indeed :sad:

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
She's correct on several issues...one, she should've called a doctor if she was in such severe pain and two, she shouldn't have played the final under those circumstances.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
And I've never have critisised her for it...but I'm still not a fan of hers coz I don't like her game. She'll be fine soon. She's a Champion and I think that Venus and Serena will also come back in time.

Reactions: drive-volley

·
I felt suddenly quite wildly happy.
46,028 Posts
wow, 7 messages and still no hating, maybe a new record...

Good luck in Dubai Ju :kiss:

Reactions: Allez Joosteen

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
yeah get the title agin justine...

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
Yeah, you shouldn't have played and chickened out. :eek:

·
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect
32,385 Posts
Yeah, Justine you were near the death, indeed ! Poor you ! Oh well, wathever....

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
VenusSerenaRocks said:
Yeah, like she chickened out against Lindsay and Sharapova.

:wavey:

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
faste5683 said:
Yeah, like she chickened out against Lindsay and Sharapova.

:wavey:
Did they play in the final too? Yeah, we are talking about the final here. :haha:

Reactions: hablo

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Why the hell would she not call a doctor? Especially with her health history (virus), it seems like that would be the first logical step. If she really was feeling as bad as this makes it seem and as she seems to think after the fact, any doctor would tell her not to play. She would have avoided a lot of negative backlash if she were just smart enough to call a doctor, but alas no...

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
oh please.....she's trying to save face now.....Venus played the 03' Wimbledon final with a career threatening injury....if it was life threatening Justine would have never stepped on the court.....she needs to stop being such a baby and own up to what she did....doesn't surprise me though....she never owned up to what she did to Serena at the French in 03' in either

·
Banned
4,554 Posts
^bibi^ said:
wow, 7 messages and still no hating, maybe a new record...

Good luck in Dubai Ju :kiss:
:lol: :lol:

The "calm before the storm" as the saying goes!!!

Good luck Justine - go for the hat-trick!! :hearts:

·
Banned
4,554 Posts
VeeReeFan said:
oh please.....she's trying to save face now.....Venus played the 03' Wimbledon final with a career threatening injury....if it was life threatening Justine would have never stepped on the court.....she needs to stop being such a baby and own up to what she did....doesn't surprise me though....she never owned up to what she did to Serena at the French in 03' in either

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

·
Banned
4,554 Posts
VenusSerenaRocks said:
At least she got to the final :haha: which is more than I can say your player got :haha:

You just can't get rid of that hate out of you can you? :sad: I feel so sorry for you! It must be very painful being you :haha:

1 - 20 of 89 Posts