Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a record that is very much in reach for Justine Henin is Steffi Graf's 186 consecutive weeks at #1. If Justine keeps the #1 ranking from now until sometime in October of 2010 she will set the record. She has held the ranking since sometime in March so has a long ways to go.

However she is quite far ahead of the challengers right now, both in points and current ability IMO. The ones who are closest in terms of ability are players older who are less likely to improve like the Williams, even if they do begin playing enough for the sake of points. I do look at where Jankovic, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, any of the contenders currently younger then she are, and I think she could stay ahead of them in the rankings continously for another 3 years. Players we have not seen yet would not reach that level within 3 years to overtake Justine. So I think she can do it.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Re: Justine Henin to possibly break Steffi Graf's most consecutive weeks

I think that is asking too much of her body now with asthma and all the achs and pains. But may be breaking Evert's RG record is a possibility.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Sadly, whenever Ju is reaching new heights, something bad happens. It has always been a rollercoaster and that's probably what made her what she is now. Deep down, she probably likes it, smooth sailing is not what Justine is about :lol:

I would really like if she got another opportunity to show her prowess, the one that was taken away from her in 2004, when she started so brilliantly.

She is not as strong now, so she needs to have a good schedule. No Sydneys, Eastbourns and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts

I'll be extremely happy if Justine gives us AO, RG, Wim, and the Justine slam next year. :bounce:

(Wonder what the reetards in GM will say then.)

·
Banned
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Justine Henin to possibly break Steffi Graf' most consecutive weeks at #1 record?

Didn't Hingis spend like 210 weeks at number 1? :scratch:
209 weeks I think it was. However that is "total" weeks at #1, not consecutive without a break. The most consecutive weeks Hingis ever spent at #1 was 80. Graf has the record for consecutive weeks at #1 at 186, and total weeks at #1 at 377.

·
Banned
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I think that is asking too much of her body now with asthma and all the achs and pains. But may be breaking Evert's RG record is a possibility.

Yeah maybe it is asking too much given her fragility to some of those things, but JuJu is always giving up great surprises. :) I agree the French Open record of Evert is well within her possability, she is definitely the best clay courter and one of the best ever.

·
Banned
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'll be extremely happy if Justine gives us AO, RG, Wim, and the Justine slam next year. :bounce:

(Wonder what the reetards in GM will say then.)
I would love that too. :bounce: I wouldnt even be that dissapointed if she lost the U.S Open then (although it would still be even better if she won it). She would atleast have matched the Serena slam. :p

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's easy to get carried away when your favorite is playing so well however, you can take it to the bank that Justine and Carlos and "TEAM JUSTINE" are only focused on her first Zurich match. It scary amazing to think that Steffi was #1 for over seven full years. Our mighty might is having fun displaying her on court talent and the records are just icing on a very fine cake.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I think that's too much to ask. We don't even know if she will be playing in 2010 and we must've learnt something from the past not to predict too far ahead when it comes to Justine.

I do believe she'll maintain this top level for a long time (even with occasional injuries), but to stay at the top for this long is too much. I'd rather have her surpass 10 slams in total count by then. :)

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Re: Justine Henin to possibly break Steffi Graf's most...

There is one record that is well within Justine means to break - all time money leader.

If Justine has a 2008 that is similar to this year, she can well become the leader in winnings ahead of Steffi Graf and Lindsay Devanport who will most likely surpass Steffi as well.

However, this is more due to inflation in prize money than actual accomplishments.

Nevertheless, allez Justine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts