Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just watched a great interview on france 24 by justine henin who talks about tennis, she pointed out the amazing dominance by the williams sisters, praised them highly and said they should be thanked for raising the level of womans tennis.She also pointed out that she thinks the level of tennis today is lower then a few years ago.

It was a great interview, she said she has no plan to return to tennis.VERY INTERESTING and i found her to be charming and was really surprised to see how highly she spoke of the williams sisters and praised serena highly

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Oh geez. really, what's new about that? She's praised them for so many years now..oh dear.

But thanks for the heads up :)

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
An athlete saying that the game is not as good now that they retired is something new? Umm ok, I think it is pretty expected comment.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
She also pointed out that she thinks the level of tennis today is lower then a few years ago.
Well, the average level of play DID drop when she retired.

·
Registered
971 Posts
An athlete saying that the game is not as good now that they retired is something new? Umm ok, I think it is pretty expected comment.
She also pointed out that it has NOTHING to do with her not playing anymore!!!
Plus she claims to never come back to the tour :(.... and was kinda ambivalent about the Kim comeback!
Anyway nice interview!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think it happens often that when players retire they mature and learn to appreciate the best players against them.

No doubt of that generation Serena, Venus and Justine are in a legue of their own and it's nice to hear kind words from Justine.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
I predict that the level of play will raise in the next two years to come as the youngsters reach their potential and start to compete really hard with each others.
it's just like the business cycle, there is bound to be some peaks and troughs along the way......as long as the general trend is upward, the tour is good ;):) im sure there are some really good kiddies out there preparing to replace the current gen

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Justine said that she is SKEPTICAL about the next few MONTHS not the entire future of women's tennis. She was her usual restrained self in commenting about kim's comeback because IT HAS NOT HAPPENED YET but seemed to show admiration for her willingness to take on such a challenge while raising a child! BRAVO JUSTINE! :hearts:

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
How exactly does
She also pointed out that she thinks the level of tennis today is lower then a few years ago.
Mean the same thing as
Well, the average level of play DID drop when she retired.
She reitred last year, less than a year ago. That isn't a few years ago. I thought what she meant by a few years ago was 2003ish?

It's mighty brave of her to be essentially saying the level of play while she was "dominant" was not as good :lol:. *Awaits tomato throwing*

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
I never thought Justine was a bad gal or someone who said bad stuff about the other players, so I don't think this interview is any surprise. I still hope she gets jealous of Kim back on the tour and returns herself.

Like it or not, Serena will go down as the best of this generation, above Justine. Not by much perhaps, but she will be considered the greater of the two. Justine has to know this better than anyone, so she's being gracious and paying homage to Serena beacuse she's retired now and petty player rivals are behind her. Well, maybe not with Kim.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
^ Crap. She's always maintained that Serena was "great". Always.

You know people can always share opinions, but it really annoys me when simple facts are omitted to make way for false truths (to suit some wayward opinion).

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Safina number 1 says it all.
I know! And 3 years ago, nobody even thought of Jankovic as obvious top ten potential. Now granted she might have improved more than expected, and credit to her, but there is no way that girl reached the number one ranking, or indeed even the top three, without a drop in the over all standard of the game. It's too obvious.

·
Banned
30,774 Posts
How exactly does

Mean the same thing as

She reitred last year, less than a year ago. That isn't a few years ago. I thought what she meant by a few years ago was 2003ish?

It's mighty brave of her to be essentially saying the level of play while she was "dominant" was not as good :lol:. *Awaits tomato throwing*
That's what I thought, but they'll probably say it's her english. :p

·
Banned
30,774 Posts
^ Crap. She's always maintained that Serena was "great". Always.

You know people can always share opinions, but it really annoys me when simple facts are omitted to make way for false truths (to suit some wayward opinion).
And, I'm sure Justine would agree with you. :wavey:

Reactions: DOUBLEFIST
1 - 20 of 45 Posts