Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me her side of the story, coz I am reading the book of Justine Henin-triumph and tragedy and it is talking about her family point of view, I am curious to see why Justine left her dad, her sister and brothers and even her grandparents.

thanks in advance

·
Banned
959 Posts
She found out she was adopted maybe?:)

·
Registered
768 Posts
They just didn't realise the stork delivered quite a prize the day he dropped her down the family tree.

Reactions: Rtael

·
8,003 Posts
:rolleyes:

Anyway, disregarding that last post....her dad was a jerk, plain and simple....he wanted her to stay home and take care of all her brothers and sisters and be the mother of the family when she was only like 13....then I believe when she started getting some success he wanted her to be the breadwinner of the family or something like that....it's not too clear because she's never really spoken openly about.

Reactions: Truthwillout

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I heard he was obssessive over her tennis career...:confused:

·
Registered
52,355 Posts
Rtael said:
:rolleyes:

Anyway, disregarding that last post....her dad was a jerk, plain and simple....he wanted her to stay home and take care of all her brothers and sisters and be the mother of the family when she was only like 13....then I believe when she started getting some success he wanted her to be the breadwinner of the family or something like that....it's not too clear because she's never really spoken openly about.
That's what I heard or read too !! Sucks to have a dad like that. . .!!

·
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I suggest people go and read Justine Henin-Tragedy and triumph and hear the different side of the story.

Of course we are not in a position to question someone life but it is still interesting

I think his dad is quite possessive and probably deserve it.

But then why did she cut off her brothers and sister who had made sacrifice for her their whole life? They are not even receiving any money from her now. Even if I hate my family member and want to cut off from them forever, I would at least send some money back home, it was them in the end which made her what it is. I am not sure about the story of her role with her brothers and sister? How about her grandma?

If you read the book, you may have a different opinion, maybe it is slightly biased, but then, I wouldn't doubt some of the legitimate facts stated in the book

·
Registered
52,355 Posts
wongqks said:
well, I suggest people go and read Justine Henin-Tragedy and triumph and hear the different side of the story.

Of course we are not in a position to question someone life but it is still interesting

But then why did she cut off her brothers and sister who had made sacrifice for her their whole life? They are not even receiving any money from her now. Even if I hate my family member and want to cut off from them forever, I would at least send some money back home, it was them in the end which made her what it is. I am not sure about the story of her role with her brothers and sister? How about her grandma?

If you read the book, you may have a different opinion, maybe it is slightly biased, but then, I wouldn't doubt some of the legitimate facts stated in the book
I'm siding with Juju on this one. . .She's not responsible for the upbringing or well being of her brothers and sisters : A thirteen year old should not be taking on the role of a parent. :eek:
There's probably alot that we don't know about!! Maybe Juju made tons of sacrifices herself, especially when her mom was sick . . .

Reactions: Martian KC

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
wongqks said:

At the end of the day, we have two biased accounts and it's pretty much impossible to know who's lying and who's telling the truth - my guess would be both are doing a bit of both and so, if I were you, I'd read Justine's account too. On her siblings, I believe she doesn't blame them and recently met her sister Sarah but while they were young (Sarah's now 16, I believe) and living with her father it was very difficult for her to see them.

I find it difficult to understand how she could cut her family ties, but no-one does that without decent reasons. Justine seems to love family in general, her aunts and Carlos' kids, so I think we just have to assume that she has her reasons. I rather like the fact that she doesn't talk about it, I must admit, it shows a certain amount of class.

·
Registered
315 Posts
wongqks said:

I've read that book, too, but I don't think her father's side of the story is so much different than the side we're used to hearing. I don't have the same access to information as some fans here do, but according to the book, her father had some kind of companies set up, and when she left home and then turned 18, those companies were in serious jeopardy. Even in the early summer of 2001, when it appeared that things might start getting better between the two of them, he seemed to be concerned about the money issues. If you're in such fragile standing with your daughter to begin with, why on Earth would you bring something like that up? Obviously it is something to be considered, but can't that wait until your relationship is more solid instead of so fragile like theirs still was at that time?

As far as the rest of her family is concerned, it's been widely reported that her brother Thomas and Pierre-Yves Hardenne didn't see eye to eye. Also, according to the book, he had a romantic interest of his own at the time, and was trying to get out on his own a little bit. He says he and Justine were very close at the time, and she took offense when he tried to put some distance between the two of them. It doesn't say much about the other two, except that this past spring, she called her younger sister and suggested that they get together sometime, so apparently, whatever the situation there is, she is trying to set it right. I've also read an article where it says she and her grandparents are on better terms, now, but maybe someone else has more information about the truth/lack of truth in that. I do know that her brothers don't seem to have much hope in rekindling their relationship with her, and they seem quite bitter about it. They say some pretty harsh things about her in that book.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I heard it was because of PY ( something about her dad not liking him and think he's a goldigger), and when she maried him , the rift was even bigger.
And also, there are the rumors that her dad was a jerk and wanted to use Justine as a breadwinner ( hence him being the goldigger..)..
I guess both sides are not telling the whole story. Justine is the one with the truth, but she won't talk, and I think it is better for her to keep this part of her life private.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
alfonsojose54 said:
Her father didn't let her raise the hand at dinner :sad:
woah my stomach hurts it is SO funny!
now maybe you should post something meaningful.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
caseyl45 said:
I've read that book, too, but I don't think her father's side of the story is so much different than the side we're used to hearing. I don't have the same access to information as some fans here do, but according to the book, her father had some kind of companies set up, and when she left home and then turned 18, those companies were in serious jeopardy. Even in the early summer of 2001, when it appeared that things might start getting better between the two of them, he seemed to be concerned about the money issues. If you're in such fragile standing with your daughter to begin with, why on Earth would you bring something like that up? Obviously it is something to be considered, but can't that wait until your relationship is more solid instead of so fragile like theirs still was at that time?

As far as the rest of her family is concerned, it's been widely reported that her brother Thomas and Pierre-Yves Hardenne didn't see eye to eye. Also, according to the book, he had a romantic interest of his own at the time, and was trying to get out on his own a little bit. He says he and Justine were very close at the time, and she took offense when he tried to put some distance between the two of them. It doesn't say much about the other two, except that this past spring, she called her younger sister and suggested that they get together sometime, so apparently, whatever the situation there is, she is trying to set it right. I've also read an article where it says she and her grandparents are on better terms, now, but maybe someone else has more information about the truth/lack of truth in that. I do know that her brothers don't seem to have much hope in rekindling their relationship with her, and they seem quite bitter about it. They say some pretty harsh things about her in that book.
This book is really biased against her. She couldn't even express her own opinion in it, so I wouldn't count this as a credible source of infos.
Like I said, the truth resides with Justine, and she doesn't seem to want to let it out.

Reactions: Rtael

·
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I too think that it is a little of both, but I am just amazed how much Justine can able to distract all this and the courage of her to separate herself completely.

I want to think that her dad did something really terrible to make her do this, but a part of me think that pierre has a lot to do with it as well. I mean if you are a teenage girl, who will you side, the love of your life or your dad?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
wongqks said:
I too think that it is a little of both, but I am just amazed how much Justine can able to distract all this and the courage of her to separate herself completely.

I want to think that her dad did something really terrible to make her do this, but a part of me think that pierre has a lot to do with it as well. I mean if you are a teenage girl, who will you side, the love of your life or your dad?

I totally agree with you. Justine has shown a lot of courage in her life, even after all she has been through. This is why she is my favorite player. And when she played for her mom during that slam final, I thought I was gonna cry lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
MinnyGophers said:
This book is really biased against her. She couldn't even express her own opinion in it, so I wouldn't count this as a credible source of infos.
Like I said, the truth resides with Justine, and she doesn't seem to want to let it out.
There's definitely bias there, I'm not going to deny that, but I don't think it's that hard to know what she's said, to read what he's said and see where they agree/disagree. Just because the sides have a different viewpoint, though, doesn't necessarily mean that one side is telling the truth and the other is lying. It is possible for both sides to use the exact same set of circumstances and come to completely different conclusions about what those circumstances suggest.
For example, both sides seem to agree that there's some kind of money issue that was a factor in this split. There are interviews where her side says the family was trying to take advantage of her. In the book, her father makes it seem more like he was trying to ensure for the financial comfort of those who had put money into her tennis. It's easy to see, though, if you believe what was written in the book, how both sides could come to such different conclusions. I do know, though, that reading this book has made me even more eager to read her official biography if/when it is translated into English, just to get a better idea of her side of the story.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Yeah...I´m still waiting for the day the official book will translated. I´ve ordered this unoffcial one now, because of your info Caseyl45. I don´t think that we will ever get to know the whole truth and to be honest I think that´s good. All I know is that I am quite proud of Justine´s archievements.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Well I think it's important to realise that in this case Justine the moral winner is and her dad has nothing. Imo that is a reason to publish a book 'against' Justine. I read her biography and follow her site of the story. Her dad probably had some good intentions but you don't break up with your familie without any reason! And whatever that reason was ... she made a good choice ... look where she stands now :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts