Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think she did, although she would win the match anyhow, and i want her to win so bad, that was not the way to win it. What ever happened to sportsmanship Justine.... I am really dissapointed in you!

but I'm still cheering for you to win against Kim... i forgive you this time.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
per4ever said:
she didn't :) Justine raised her hand, but Serena chose to serve anyway. Too bad for her :)
*Nods* in agreement :)

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
per4ever said:
she didn't :) Justine raised her hand, but Serena chose to serve anyway. Too bad for her :)
No, you are dead wrong. I have the match on tape and Serena was already reaching up to hit the serve when Justine raised her hand for Serena to stop. Serena did not ignore her.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Knizzle said:
No, you are dead wrong. I have the match on tape and Serena was already reaching up to hit the serve when Justine raised her hand for Serena to stop. Serena did not ignore her.
FRUSTRATED??

Do you think that one first serve into the net decided the match? Nope, not at all!

Serena said it herself: this thing was NO turning point! Btw: Justine did not lie, Justine said nothing to the umpire!

Justine is in the final, a lot of people are frustrated because the Williams-girls are not dominating Roland Garros, that's all!

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Kniz,

Ok- Justine did raise her hand so what if Serena
lost her chance for a first serve. Isn't a lost service
point only suppose to be a blip for Serena in a set?
I know right the crowd were arseholes, true, but
why was Serena getting caught stuck in no man's
land during those Henin overheads? I didn't get
that; it threw me off. Perhaps Serena was a bit
irked by the peanut gallery; but isn't Serena suppose
to be greater than her opponent's and their desperate
adoring fans? I was watching this match with a
couple of neutrals, non-tennis fans, and they couldn't
believe Serena kept on dumping balls into the net
or making oddly weak serves. Where were all the
ace's during the match that we've come to expect
or be afraid of from Serena? During the final points,
Serena didn't even move forward or backward much
on the court.

Justine didn't cheat; she simply refuse to fade away.
After she choked her first match points, I was thinking
of leaving because it truly looked as if it was going to
be another instance of Belgians with pieces of Pomme
Frites stuck in their throats choking. Hey, what do you
know Justine got over it. It's ok to be annoyed at
the "hand" thing; but no need to call Justine a cheater.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
If Serena was a nice person, who gave credit to Justine gameplay maybe Justine would give her the first serve whatever happend there! I think if she was playing against friendly people that she would have given the first serve anyway.

I wouldn't give any presents to someone who could never say that I won because I played betterr :)

I do appreciate it that Serena said after this match that Justine played a good match and deserved the victory :)

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I don't think Justine lied/cheated whatever, no. To me it looked as though when the umpire asked her something, she raised her hand which looked as though she was indicating that that was what she'd done. IMO, she looked confused rather than malicious.

In any case, if you look at this logically:

Either Serena saw Justine raise her hand or she didn't.

If she did, she shouldn't have served, so she didn't deserve another first serve.

If she didn't, then her first serve was out anyway, so she wouldn't have had another first serve.

I fail to see what Justine has to do with it.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Don't know, didn't see the whole match. But it's not like Serena has never missed a first serve before in her life (!) so if the whole match revolved on that then the girl has undergone a complete personality change since all the other matches she's toughed out. I think Juju's the one being vilified and much as I love Kim I think it's unfair to psych her out before one of the biggest matches of her life. I hope she's safe in a media bubble somewhere.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Well look even if Justine did cheat it was not on game point, set point match point. In fact I remember it being 30-0 to Serena, I mean what had Juju got to gain, one point which would still put her behind.

·
***** Emeritus
42,299 Posts
*raising my hand*

I'm a big big fan of Justine but what she did right there was just plain wrong. I'm disappointed she did that.

But don't get me wrong I'm still a big fan of hers. She's only human. But if ever anyone does something like that to her, she can't complain!

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
fleemke² said:
If Serena was a nice person, who gave credit to Justine gameplay maybe Justine would give her the first serve whatever happend there! I think if she was playing against friendly people that she would have given the first serve anyway.

I wouldn't give any presents to someone who could never say that I won because I played betterr :)

I do appreciate it that Serena said after this match that Justine played a good match and deserved the victory :)
please please please tell me youre not saying Serena doesnt compliment Justine....cos she does, and im proud of her for doing so

re cheating....if Justine can live with it, then why not? have no bitter feelings about that point

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I think it might have been wrong, but I don't think it was something to make such a fuss about. I've seen other players doing things that I really didn't think were fair, but nobody makes such a big thing out of it. Every player does things like that (incl. serena)...
People act now like serena would have one the match if she got her first serve there.... Come on, she was a break up... And did anyone see the umpire asking Justine anything? I didn't for sure...

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
The Crow said:
*raising my hand*

I'm a big big fan of Justine but what she did right there was just plain wrong. I'm disappointed she did that.

But don't get me wrong I'm still a big fan of hers. She's only human. But if ever anyone does something like that to her, she can't complain!
LOL like saying someone was faking an injury, and then she gets an injury in one of their next matches :D i wish the player had said something about it :D

but anyway, if she didnt wanna say anything she didnt have to. it doesnt really bother me, but other things indicate to me shes not as "nice" and "likable" as i thought she was 2 years ago :eek:

i mean, if Serena did it, it would be drama drama drama :devil:

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
ONCE AND FOR ALL:

Once the player returning the serve indicates that she's ready, she CANNOT become UNREADY!!!!

Regardless of what Justine did, first serve was into the net. If it was ace, the point would have gone the Williams way. Even though Justine raised her hand.

for those who don't know the rules: IF THE PLAYER SHOWED THAT SHE IS READY TO RETURN (AND THAT'S THE CASE WITH JUSTINE) AND THEN SHE SHOWS SHE IS NOT READY (THE CASE WITH JUSTINE), THE POINT GOES TO THE SERVER IF SHE SERVES.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
treufreund said:
NO. Serena should have stopped her serve. she screwed up and did not want to take responsibility. End of story.
She was already in the middle of her service motion and she thought she'd get another serve anyway, so no reason to stop her serve. I think the fact that she saw Justines hand up caused her to not concentrate on her serve and hit it out. It wasnt a crucial point but the incident broke her concentration.
I think Justine might have won anyway, but this casts a bit of doubt onto the way in which she won it.

·
***** Emeritus
42,299 Posts
tenn_ace said:
ONCE AND FOR ALL:

Once the player returning the serve indicates that she's ready, she CANNOT become UNREADY!!!!

Regardless of what Justine did, first serve was into the net. If it was ace, the point would have gone the Williams way. Even though Justine raised her hand.

for those who don't know the rules: IF THE PLAYER SHOWED THAT SHE IS READY TO RETURN (AND THAT'S THE CASE WITH JUSTINE) AND THEN SHE SHOWS SHE IS NOT READY (THE CASE WITH JUSTINE), THE POINT GOES TO THE SERVER IF SHE SERVES.
Are you sure about this? When Serena said to the umpire that Justine raised her hand, the umpire said he hadn't seen it (which indicates to me that if he would have seen it that he would have given her another first serve).

·
***** Emeritus
42,299 Posts
SerenaJWilliams said:
i mean, if Serena did it, it would be drama drama drama :devil:
Well it is drama drama drama now too, only the roles are reversed ;)

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
i was there. i don't know if you would call it a turning point or anything, but i have to say that justine knew what see was doing. i felt it was pretty bad that the crowd didn't jump on her for it either, considering that serena was being abused just for checking marks every now and then. in my opinion serena was completely justified in not giving justine a sportsman-like handshake (although she should have been the bigger person) because justine prioritised winning over doing the right thing. you can try and make excuses for her, but the fact is that if she can accuse davenport of faking an injury and hence being unsporting then in my opinion you can't justify her doing what she did.

i am not a williams fan, and i was kind of going for justine in the match, but that crowd was disgraceful. stuff all this supporting the underdog rubbish. yeah sure that might apply during the match, but the way the crowd the booed her when she walked off the court made me feel so sorry for serena, and i was giving the people near me who booed her a piece of my mind.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts