Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Justine played three-setters against Dementieva and Kim during her last tournaments. Before the start of the third set I was almost certain Justine would win the match (I had that same feeling when she beat Petrova at Rosmalen).

Her match against Davenport at the AUS Open has given her a lot of confidence. She then mentioned that that win would be the start of a new Henin. I didn’t think that was going to be the case, but afterwards I have to say that it’s probably the truth. She wins almost all her three-setters and she wins almost all her finals.

I wonder if Venus is going to be able to win a three-setter against Justine. I give Venus the advice to not let Justine win a set, because her performances in third sets have been astonishing this year.

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Justine has definitely improved this season but she's still the underdog against Venus, even if it goes to 3 sets. Venus is Venus and if she's on, Justine will have to come up with something exceptional to win. Besides she said that Venus is the most difficult opponent for her and that she doesn't like to play against her because she can't read her game very well.

To me, Venus is the favourite to win the Open, even if she's slightly injured.

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
though i'm a big juju fan, i think venus will beat her. it wont bother me much cuz i love venus as well, but i want justine to win purely for the sake of beating venus and improving their H2H slightly.

·
Registered
19,729 Posts
Justine has had a great year when it comes to finals and three setters and I think it was the Australian Open match against Lindsay that really started the three setter trend. She was able to pull out a win against someone who she had historically struggled with. I think if Venus is not 100% and Justine wins a set and they take it to a third, Justine's mentality that she has done well in third sets and that she is more fit that Venus, might carry over some aggressiveness and she could pull out that win.

Venus is still more likely to win against Justine but they haven't played since Justine won a Grand Slam, defeated Kim three times, defeated Serena twice, won 3 hardcourt tournaments that it's really hard to tell.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Venus isn't too shabby in third sets either, especially at the slams. Wimby QF, SF, back to back 6-1 in the third.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
remember though, even after that pivotal match at the AUS and after beating Monica in Dubai after facing match-points, Justine still lost a three setter at Amelia Island despite having matchpoints.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
caelestia said:
remember though, even after that pivotal match at the AUS and after beating Monica in Dubai after facing match-points, Justine still lost a three setter at Amelia Island despite having matchpoints.
Yeah, but that was her only 3 set loss this year. The problem is though, that although it's impressive to win three setters like that, it means she has been straight setted about 6 or 7 times(not sure how many times Juju lost this year). So having a three set record like that is not all good.

·
Registered
47,640 Posts
No matter.....Justine ain´t beating Venus on hardcourts....not even if it was five-sets!

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Here are her losses this year:
Adidas International:
SF Kim Clijsters L 2-6, 3-6
Australian Open
SF Venus Williams L 3-6, 3-6
Proximus Diamond Games
SF Kim Clijsters L 2-6, 6-7
Nasdaq-100 Open
QF Chanda Rubin L 3-6, 2-6
Bausch&Lomb Championships
SF Elena Dementieva L 6-3, 4-6, 5-7
Wimbledon
SF Serena Williams L 3-6, 2-6
Ordina Open
F Kim Clijsters L 7-6, 0-3, ret

almost 2/3rds of her losses occured on hardcourts before the clay season even started.

·
Registered
19,729 Posts
caelestia said:
Here are her losses this year:
Adidas International:
SF Kim Clijsters L 2-6, 3-6
Australian Open
SF Venus Williams L 3-6, 3-6
Proximus Diamond Games
SF Kim Clijsters L 2-6, 6-7
Nasdaq-100 Open
QF Chanda Rubin L 3-6, 2-6
Bausch&Lomb Championships
SF Elena Dementieva L 6-3, 4-6, 5-7
Wimbledon
SF Serena Williams L 3-6, 2-6
Ordina Open
F Kim Clijsters L 7-6, 0-3, ret

almost 2/3rds of her losses occured on hardcourts before the clay season even started.
she's only lost one match in a two setter against Serena at Wimbledon after her win at Roland Garros and since that lose she hasn't lose on what is historically been her worst surface. once a player goes through changes and improvements, past results sometimes seem irrelevant

·
Registered
547 Posts
OK, Justine won the San Digo tournament in 3 sets. Without the 6- minute time-out for Justine, Kim would have won the final in 2 short sets. Why do all the greater players need a time-out after the first set when they play against Kim? In the australian open, Serena had the longest time-out ever against Kim! In Wimbledon the same happened in the match Clijsters-V. Williams . Remember Stanford: Clijsters-Capriati? Time-out for Jennifer when Kim had the lead? And then the rumour goes that Kim chokes; no, it's just frustrated because of the time-outs.

·
Registered
19,729 Posts
Betty said:
OK, Justine won the San Digo tournament in 3 sets. Without the 6- minute time-out for Justine, Kim would have won the final in 2 short sets. Why do all the greater players need a time-out after the first set when they play against Kim? In the australian open, Serena had the longest time-out ever against Kim! In Wimbledon the same happened in the match Clijsters-V. Williams . Remember Stanford: Clijsters-Capriati? Time-out for Jennifer when Kim had the lead? And then the rumour goes that Kim chokes; no, it's just frustrated because of the time-outs.
Well then she is choking if she can't seem to find a way to deal with the situation. Once she gets out of the groove she had in the first set: her ass is choking.

and does she really think that she'll ever defeat Justine at a final of any tournament? she's 1-4 in finals against Justines and the only she won was due to a retirement. Let's get real here. Justine's the one who's doing what must be done to get the job finished and take the title with her. Kim can't seem to do the same unless the tournament is riddled with lower ranked player. She's the one who had the easiest Roland Garros out of the top 4 players and she was bagelled in the first set of the championship match.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Betty said:
I don't know about the rest, but against Serena. Kim was up 2-1 when Serena took her injury timeout. Kim went on the win the next three games before Serena started her comeback. So the timeout had nothing to do with that Australian semifinal loss. Nice try though.

Also, she has to learn to deal with these situations. If she becomes irritated and loses because of it, that's her fault and her fault only.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
"she's only lost one match in a two setter against Serena at Wimbledon after her win at Roland Garros and since that lose she hasn't lose on what is historically been her worst surface. once a player goes through changes and improvements, past results sometimes seem irrelevant"

So what you're saying is her three set win over Davenport @ the A.O. is "irrelevant?"

Cause I found it funny that you discounted Venus' thumping of justine at this years A.O. yet pointed out he win over Davey. as some kind of benchmark win.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
"she's only lost one match in a two setter against Serena at Wimbledon after her win at Roland Garros and since that lose she hasn't lose on what is historically been her worst surface. once a player goes through changes and improvements, past results sometimes seem irrelevant"

So what you're saying is her three set win over Davenport @ the A.O. is "irrelevant?"

Cause I found it funny that you discounted Venus' thumping of justine at this years A.O. yet pointed out he win over Davey. as some kind of benchmark win.
Good catch DaForehand :wavey:

·
Registered
19,729 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:

well clearly if you know how to read you will know what i am referring to.

i brought up the davenport win as her mettle in third sets

and i brought her loss to Serena at Wimbledon to table as proof that it was the only 2 setter she's loss since Roland Garros.

read much?

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
I'm on the double standards watch for the next half hour...I think Rocketta or Cybelle will be my relief.

·
Registered
19,729 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
I'm on the double standards watch for the next half hour...I think Rocketta or Cybelle will be my relief.
if you actually read what i wrote then you can speak again about double standards

1 - 20 of 22 Posts