Tennis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't feel like posting the article but basically Leo Clijsters accuses Justine of Doping and says her appearance is "Unusual". In return Justine has even offered to take a test to prove she is clean. Carlos Rodriguez also commented that Justine is better than Kim and will win more than Kim will. I really wish this hadn't happened because I like them being friends. After the match in San Diego I could tell that things weren't great but now it's obvious. I think Carlos' comment was interesting. I have always wondered what he tought about Kim and if he liked her. Obviously not. Hopefully they all can work things out.

· Registered
1,583 Posts
PatM04 said:
I didn't feel like posting the article but basically Leo Clijsters accuses Justine of Doping and says her appearance is "Unusual". In return Justine has even offered to take a test to prove she is clean. Carlos Rodriguez also commented that Justine is better than Kim and will win more than Kim will. I really wish this hadn't happened because I like them being friends. After the match in San Diego I could tell that things weren't great but now it's obvious. I think Carlos' comment was interesting. I have always wondered what he tought about Kim and if he liked her. Obviously not. Hopefully they all can work things out.
Psychologically speaking, Justine is better than Kim.

But, IMHO, that is her only advantage.

I think people need to actually pay attention to those two when they talk to each other. Either they are the best actors in the world, or there are no private problems.

· Enemy of Art
13,367 Posts
So the fifty-one threads already posted about this in the last 36 hours weren't enough, and now we have to pretend this is the first we've heard of it?

Okay, let me get into character...mi mi mi mi mi...

Ahem.

:eek:

...And...scene.

· Enemy of Art
13,367 Posts
Except about 12 hours before this thread was posted, Lei Clijsters had already said that he was misquoted and he wasn't referring to drugs, and that he doesn't mean to start a fight between Kim's camp and Justine's camp; and, moreover, the person who actually did accuse Justine of doping, Filip Dewulf, retracted his statement and apologized.

So this thread is not only woefully behind the times, but isn't factual anymore.

· Enemy of Art
13,367 Posts
Just to get everyone up to speed:

Belgium's Henin Denies Doping Insinuations
Wed September 10, 2003

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Justine Henin-Hardenne vigorously denied insinuations that she was doped when she beat Belgian rival Kim Clijsters at the U.S. Open last week.
Henin-Hardenne told reporters upon her arrival at Brussels airport from the United States that the only secret of her success was hard work.

"I have never been tempted by doping," she was quoted as telling reporters in the daily Le Soir Wednesday. "My only doping is work. I am ready to undergo whatever test, wherever, whenever to prove that my body is clean.

"I do not take any product, whatever they might be, apart from the water and other energy drinks prepared by the WTA," she added.

Henin-Hardenne has now won two grand slams, both at the expense of world number one Clijsters in the final.

On her return to Belgium, she was received by fans as well as reporters anxious to get her reaction to comments made by Clijsters's father Leo about her apparent weight and muscle gain.

PHYSICAL TRANSFORMATION

Leo and other pundits were quoted in the local media as saying her physical transformation was unusual. None of them mentioned doping.

The growing tensions between the two players -- who have previously declared themselves as friends -- and their entourage also highlight the linguistic and cultural divide in this small European country of 10 million people.

Henin-Hardenne is from the francophone south, while Clijsters is from the Dutch-speaking north.

Henin-Hardenne's coach, Carlos Rodriguez, was quoted in the local press as accusing Leo Clijsters of spreading rumors out of jealousy.

"In Belgium, what we are trying to do is to start a fight between these two girls," he said.

"I swear on the heads of my two sons that she has never taken doping products," he said. "In Belgium, we want absolutely to create a fight between the two girls.

"Justine is better than Kim and will win more often than her," he said. "In six months, Justine has become a different player, a lot stronger. I know that she works very hard but she is not the only one. All players, including Kim, work on their muscular force."

Her victory over Clijsters last weekend was remarkable.

Henin-Hardenne had returned to the court after spending hours in an infirmary bed with an intravenous drip in her arm.

She had been suffering from exhaustion, cramps and dehydration following a three-set semi-final win over Jennifer Capriati.

· Enemy of Art
13,367 Posts
Finally, from Kim's official site:

Let's get back to the sport

This has to stop, people trying to create a controversy around Justine and Kim. And they shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Have we gotten too used to two Belgian girls doing well? So the sport itself isn't enough to write about anymore? First there was that so called 'blisters' affair, now we've reached another pathetic low with this talk about Justine. And then they try to blame me!

I simply replied to the question why Kim keeps on losing to Justine and why we don't consult a sports psychologist (another silly question...): " Don't you see Justine has gotten a lot stronger, that she serves better which means it's only normal she's the winner?" I don't think that's such a strange comment. Justine has worked very hard these past few months, which means that when she wins, it's thanks to her hard work. If she keeps working and playing like that, I expect she'll often beat Kim and the others.

We have a very good relationship with Justine and the people around her and treat one another with respect. So why would I accuse someone like her? Of course I'm disappointed when Kim loses, doesn't matter against who. But I do have enough fair play - and Kim as well- to congratulate the opponent with the win.

It would be better if everyone started treating both players with more respect. People should be happy to have two Belgians ranked 1 and 2. And they work very hard for it. Can you just leave it at that? I'll welcome anyone who wants to discuss the sport in the future. But if it's other stories you want, with the sole intention of setting the players and public up against each other, then I say no. They tried it with Appelmans and Van Roost in the past, now they're doing it again. I think it's a shame and don't want to be a part of that.

Lei Clijsters.

Now. Are we done?

· Registered
432 Posts
On canvas teletext, Lei still insinuate that Justine is on dope.
He says that he didn't say she takes dope but says that Justine have improved enormously in power in the last 6 months and that in 40 years of topsports, he has never seen that before :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
But he insinuates nothing :rolleyes: :rolleyes: He has just questions :rolleyes: :mad:

What I would like to say is that for me is not so obvious the so huge difference in muscles mass. Yeah Justine can hit harder but it's because she takes the ball earlier than before and moves more often forward. It's not Justine faults if Kim plays all her shots 2 metres behind the baseline :cool:

· Banned
1,856 Posts
Knizzle said:
Everyone who beat Kim at a slam gets accused of something. Just like he said Venus was "acting" on the court against Clijsters at Wimbledon and that she was faking her injury.

:) Right, Leo should "Lei low" for a while...!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.