Tennis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible? she has semis to defend, kim has nothing, but there are alot of quality points here.....is it possible?

·
8,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well anyone know how close she can get?

·
8,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know, but I thoguht it might be rude to say that to his face.....

·
8,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
come on, anyone?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
only rough calculations.

Justine is 300 points behind Kim. She defends 127 points and her 18th tournament is 101, so if she wins the tournament, she can get roughly between 300 and 350 points, for a net gain of about 170 to 220 points.

Kim defends semis but those point are not in her ranking so even if she loses in the second round, she doesn't drop anything, but Kim 17th tournament is quite high so she won't add anything unless she reaches the final and even then it won't be much, probably about 50 points or something like that, so, in a word, no, she can't. She can get within 100-200 points from Kim, which makes it possible for her to take the # 1 after Zurich, if she wins it.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Fingon said:
only rough calculations.

Justine is 300 points behind Kim. She defends 127 points and her 18th tournament is 101, so if she wins the tournament, she can get roughly between 300 and 350 points, for a net gain of about 170 to 220 points.

Kim defends semis but those point are not in her ranking so even if she loses in the second round, she doesn't drop anything, but Kim 17th tournament is quite high so she won't add anything unless she reaches the final and even then it won't be much, probably about 50 points or something like that, so, in a word, no, she can't. She can get within 100-200 points from Kim, which makes it possible for her to take the # 1 after Zurich, if she wins it.
in another word, dont expect Justine to take #1 ranking
until the year end WTA Championship:D

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
What does Kim need to do to retain the no.1? It almost sounds as though it is not dependant on how well she does but on how poorly justine does.
If she wins evertyhing in sight till the end of the year and justine makes the finals or semis, can she end the yr no.1 (Kim i.e)?

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
In a way I hope Justine does take No 1 spot by the end of the year cos in a way she deserves it for winning two grand slams this year.

However, that means that next year she's got a whole lot of stuff to defend against Kim, Serena and Venus and the only way will be down and they are all going to be gunning for No 1 and the slams, big time.

Kim will be back at No 2 where mentally I think she belongs for now and where I honestly think she will prefer to be (having attained No 1 at least once), as then she will be in the position of challenger and that is where she is most comfortable and most dangerous to other players. Also, as everyone has already written her off as a big time choker, she wont have to worry any more, as if she loses everyone will just say "there we go, told you Kim was a choker".

I think that 2004 is going to be Kim's time. If she doesnt do it next year, her time will have passed.

PS: you cant tell from this that I'm a Kim fan can you? :nerner:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
tennnisfannn said:
What does Kim need to do to retain the no.1? It almost sounds as though it is not dependant on how well she does but on how poorly justine does.
Justine currently has more points in the Race to LA, having played two fewer events. So it's only natural that Justine should have the #1 ranking on her racquet

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
no

1 - 16 of 16 Posts