Tennis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHY has NOONE labeled this semifinal of Jennifer vs Justine an ERRORFEST??

Hmmm.... I watched the match and certainly did not get that impression either, but the stats on the US Open site show 112 unforced errors comitted. 69 by Justine and 43 by Jennifer.

If this had been Serena/Venus or Serena/Jennifer, this would have been hyped to the max.

Can ANYONE please tell me... just WHY is that!

· Registered
10,834 Posts
those erros really aren't much in 3 hours of play

· Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So 23 errors per set is not bad!

OK then I will expext to NEVER hear about Serena or Venus comitting 46 or fewer errors in a two set game that they win.

The time was longer because of MANY DEUCE points played, which often ended with errors.

Actually I have NO problem with this match, and I hardly noticed the errors while watching. IT was VERY competetive and entertaining.

I just get tired of seeing the media and others ALWAYS point out how many ERRORS Venus and Serena make during a match, yet fall silent when the SAME thing happens in MANY other matches.

· Registered
713 Posts
The thing is most of those errors were in fact forced. It's very subjective as to how unforced errors are defined and the statisticians I think got carried away a little.

· Registered
4,071 Posts
There were more points played. I think 254 points total played. 122 unforced error(only half of those were straight out unforced) is not bad for that. The quality was still high because the points were so long and so close and really lets admit it, many times one player smacks the ball so hard that the other is unbalanced when she hits it and the ball goes into the net. That's a forced error but they still labelled it as an unforced error.

· Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The forced vs unforced point is valid.

I know that the French ope scores EVERY piont not concluding with a WINNER ans a UFE.

Keep in mind though that this SAME issue is true whem Venus or Serena plays.

It would be nice if they were scored seperately.

Forced errors seem to not be noter at all or scored as unforced. They need to fix this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.