Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lindsay will pass her in the rankings, and most likely represent USA in singles at the Olympics, along w/Serena.

·
Premium Member
20,731 Posts
I totally forgot about the Olympics. You make a good point. Plus I'm sure you've made a lot of people's day by pointing this out.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I love how everyone makes it seem like venus is just falling right out of the top ten when in fact she has only played 5 tournments this year. I know ppl were getting use to her playing and winning many tournments but the fact is that this part of the season has never been a strong one for Venus... apart from 2002 she tends to struggle alot more in the clay court season. I suspect with clay court season ending and grass and hard court tournments coming up we will she her climbing back atop the rankings after all she only has to add one or two tournments to pass those ahead of her who are having fantastic seasons.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Maybe she will have to play dubs with Serena in a reversal of fortunes! Actually, I think she will improve her ranking (and end up playing against Serena in the Olympics--one of my peeves with Olympic tennis--"teammates should not have to play one another)

·
Registered
24,190 Posts
funny that 3 years ago we had venus and monica comfortably 1 and 2... and now its possible that neither ofthem will be able to play in athens? hopefully venus defends the gold. i know monica probably won't be playing. serena, venus, lindsay, chanda, jennifer, and probably meghan soon will be ranked above her unless monica gets a deserved miracle in her career.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
:rolleyes: Vee. Hopefully she'll boost her ranking up during hardcourt season. I know for a fact she doesn't like being that low.

Go Vee.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Venus never won a grandslam being the top seed. Nor ranked #1.

The olympics are still ways to go.

Venus controls her destiny. She will play more tourneys and climb back up.:)

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
In 2004...plenty enough time for your girl Anna to qualify.:)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Venus will rise again..... :wavey:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Hey thanks Fingon, for that info.:) I didn't know that if you're the defending champ that that means one is already qualified?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Eligibility criteria for players wishing to compete in the Olympic Tennis Event

Age Eligibility:
MEN: Minimum 14 years by 31/12/1999
WOMEN: Minimum 15 years by 15/9/2000

All Players must:
Make him/herself available for selection to represent his/her country in any of the International Team Championships of the Federation for 2 of the following years - 1997/1998/1999/2000 - provided that one of those years is either 1999 or 2000. In 1997,1998,1999 or 2000 of the Davis Cup or Fed Cup, a player who makes him/herself available for selection for one Tie will be deemed to have fulfilled the requirement for that year.

Number of Competitors:
MEN: A maximum of four (4) men may compete in the men's singles event and a maximum of two (2) men may compete as a team in the men's doubles event.
WOMEN: A maximum of three (3) women may compete in the women's singles event and a maximum of two (2) women may compete as a team in the women's doubles event.

Nominations:
MEN: A maximum of four (4) men may be nominated by any one country unless that country has doubles players ranked 20 or better as of 10 July 2000. In such case, the maximum number of men nominated by that country may be up to six (6).
WOMEN: A maximum of four (4) women may be nominated from any one country.

Size + Composition of Draws:
Where practical no players from the same country shall be placed in the same quarter of the Draw.
Men's Singles:
64 players with not more than four (4) players from any one (1) country comprising: 48 Direct Acceptances 14 ITF Places (Wild Cards) * 2 Invitations (Wild Cards) **
Men's Doubles:
32 teams with not more than any one (1) team from any one (1) country comprising: 24 Direct Acceptances 8 ITF Places*
Women's Singles:
64 players, with not more than three (3) players from any one (1) country comprising: 48 Direct Acceptances 14 ITF Places (Wild Cards) * 2 Invitations (Wild Cards) ** Women's Doubles:
32 teams with not more than one (1) team from any one (1) country comprising: 24 Direct Acceptances 8 ITF Places (Wild Cards) *

*Based on International Computer Ranking and geographical location ** selected by Tripartite Commission of ITF/IOC/NOCs

Selection Date:
International computer rankings of 10 July 2000 will be used to select players eligible for Direct Acceptance in singles and doubles.

Entry Deadlines:

By 31 March 2000 - ITF send Entry Forms by Country to National Associations (NA)

By 15 May 2000 - NAs/ National Olympic Committees (NOC) return Entry Forms to ITF

By 12 July 2000 - ITF to advise NAs/NOCs the names of players eligible for direct acceptance for singles and/or doubles based on the international computer rankings of 10 July 2000

By 1 August 2000 - NAs / NOCs to advise ITF which of their eligible players have been selected to compete in the singles and doubles events; and Submit to ITF their applications for ITF Places (Wild Cards)

By 10 August 2000 - ITF selects ITF Places and advises NAs/NOCs

By 15 August 2000 - Tripartite Commission select the 2 Invitations (Wild Cards) for each of the men's and women's singles events.

THis is from the 2000 Olympics. I don't think the "Defending" champion gets any special consideration.

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
Are you sure about that Fingon? Everything I've read regarding the 2004 games says they'll pick teams according to rankings (not that I've looked that hard)

Good grief, the Games are over a YEAR away - so much can happen with the rankings in that amount of time don't you think it's silly to worry about this now?

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Athens isn't until 2004. We are summer of 2003. A year and a half still have to go.

I'm sure Venus will be top 4 in America. Even if Lindsay passes her, she's still #3 in America. BJK will let her go.

·
Banned
382 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Athens isn't until 2004. We are summer of 2003. A year and a half still have to go.

I'm sure Venus will be top 4 in America. Even if Lindsay passes her, she's still #3 in America. BJK will let her go.
but if Ruben and Jen C past her, she'll become #5..........
and it's more likely to award a spot to Lisa Raymond and
Lindsay Davenport for the doubles...............
if Venus does drop out of TOP 10, it's likely this is the case,
it's not impossible, if Venus doesnt improve soon,
she'll be having a bit of trouble as she has
3 more Slam finalist points to defend, that's no joke.......

however, Lindsay i believe has to play a Fed Cup match though,
i dont see it yet..........hopefully she'll play soon

1 - 20 of 46 Posts