Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was the first time i had seen it like a video and with sound and expression. monica going off the court crying... :crying2:

God... I had never thought it was really really bad but imagine being stabbed with a freakin' butcher's knife. They showed the knife and it looked like one of those a serial killer uses.

And Gunther Parche or whatever his name is looked like a freaking psychopath. Well he is, but he just looked scary.

I'm shaking. I just thought I'd share that with you because it's Monica!

Anyway, I'm really sad now. :sad:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
30,466 Posts
I've never seen it, only pictures of her straight afterwards its not something i'd want to watch :sad: such a shocking and horrible incident

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I just watched '20 to 1' as well, and saw the stabbing clip :eek:

Poor Monica :sad: At only 19, she was attacked by a crazed Graf "fan". And the stab wound just barely missed her spinal cord as well :eek:

The commentators and presenters basically agreed that it was the stabbing which ended Monica's career :sad:

Still, I thought it was cute when they showed Monica walking into the stadium at Canada back in 1995. She had her hands on her mouth and couldn't stop smiling. Awww :hearts: :hug:

·
Banned
4,739 Posts
I saw it - that was nasty. They showed a bit of her coming on the court at the Candian Open 95. They should have said how she came back and won another slam soon after that.
I didn't realise she was playing Maggie Maleeva that day. Since the nut was a Graf fan, I actually thought she was playing Graf when it happened.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
i watched it to very sad:(

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Verry very sad and horrible day in tennis! :bigcry: There is a short clip about it in the 'videos' thread (40 greatest moments in tennis history) For those interested, it's titled monica_seles-(wmr).

·
Banned
6,444 Posts
Tennis had not seen anything like that before and it was very shocking and alarming. Of course, then followed by the clubbing of Nancy Kerrigan. The lack of security at tennis events was startling.

Its not the worst thing that's happened in sports history. There was the murder of Israeli athletes by terrorists at the '72 Olympics, and the plane crash of the US Olympic skating team in the '60's. Just to mention a few.

·
Banned
6,444 Posts
Veritas said:
The commentators and presenters basically agreed that it was the stabbing which ended Monica's career :sad:
I disagree with that assertion. When Monica returned to the sport, she had grown a couple of inches and gained a lot of weight, most of which was never completely shed.

She made it to the final of her first Grand Slam tournament back, and won her second.

Had Monica focused more on her physical conditioning, she could have easily had a much more successful "second" career in spite of the stabbing.

The stabbing interrupted her career, but didn't end it.

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
:sad:

·
Banned
376 Posts
So sad...and I forget that many of you are so young, you might've been 3 or 4 when the tragedy occurred.

·
Registered
578 Posts
ive seen this, i was schocked poor monica :(

·
Banned
170 Posts
Shenay La Soul said:
So sad...and I forget that many of you are so young, you might've been 3 or 4 when the tragedy occurred.

A great part of WTAWorld's posters weren't even born then (eg. most Sharapova fans).

·
Banned
170 Posts
ceiling_fan said:
It was the first time i had seen it like a video and with sound and expression. monica going off the court crying... :crying2:

God... I had never thought it was really really bad but imagine being stabbed with a freakin' butcher's knife. They showed the knife and it looked like one of those a serial killer uses.

And Gunther Parche or whatever his name is looked like a freaking psychopath. Well he is, but he just looked scary.

I'm shaking. I just thought I'd share that with you because it's Monica!

Anyway, I'm really sad now. :sad:

Parche could have killed Monica! :eek:
Thank God it was only a small wound. But she never was the same player again .... :sad:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts