Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pera led 2-0 first set, then lost 7 straight games. In the second set she seemed to be getting the measure of Kawa - at least for a moment - but from 3-2 up a break she first lost the next service game due to two badly timed double faults and then lost the next three games in quick succession.

Amazing week from Kawa, I will say that there was absolutely no reason to think she would not belong in a WTA final.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Pera flop 0-4 in tour level SFs. All losses in straight sets against players ranked 61, 98, 106 and 194. Very impressive indeed...

Technically, they have WTA event in Jurmala. However, it is basically ITF level event that offers WTA International points. Should Sevastova or Potapova win the final, they would have faced only 1 top 100 player en route to huge title. For Kawa it would only be 2.

·
Registered
29,828 Posts
The depth is real.

Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I'm very happy for Kasia, she probably doesn't believe what is happening right now. Dream run.

I watched her for the first time and I'm impressed how mature she is on court. She's also a very smart player, see a lot on court and uses right tactics.
The important thing is that she hasn't spend too much time on court recently, because she seems to be tired after many matches played recently.

Pera was an error machine today and didn't really know how find a way to start winning this match.
She had a lot of luck in the beginning of the 2nd set and was a break up, but she couldn't sustain this advantage for a long time.

·
Registered
44,817 Posts
What a week for Kawa. :eek: It has taken her forever to even crack the Top200 and play Grand Slam qualifyings (debuted in Paris this year). Suddenly she is into her first WTA final in her first try. :spit: I watched most of the match and while she started really nervous she was the much more consistent player from the back of the court once she settled into the occasion. Her groundstrokes however do not look technically too sound and she doesn’t have a lot of margin for errors. Her movement is not too good either. So she will have to improve a lot more to become a WTA regular in my eyes. Today however she looked very confident and trusted her shots enough unlike Bernarda who could not string together more than 3 balls for a lot of times during the match. Guess the pressure of being the big favorite to make her first final got to her. :hug:

·
Registered
87,437 Posts
Who the hell is Kawa?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Pera flop 0-4 in tour level SFs. All losses in straight sets against players ranked 61, 98, 106 and 194. Very impressive indeed...

Technically, they have WTA event in Jurmala. However, it is basically ITF level event that offers WTA International points. Should Sevastova or Potapova win the final, they would have faced only 1 top 100 player en route to huge title. For Kawa it would only be 2.
TF :help: it's not Premier tournament...and some ITF players lost in first rounds . I mean Garcia, Ostapenko, Siniakova, Cirstea, Pliskova and Sasnovich :lol: We can say that Barty won WTA International in Paris, cause her draw was pretty easy. Congrats to polish player. Maybe Buzarnescu case?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Im sooooo happy for Kasia! She is really nice and kind girl. Her game maybe isn't impressive at all, but she is consistent and smart player, she mixed her game, and see a lot at the court! In final she has nothing to lose, she can only earn a lot of expercience, I hope this tournament gave her a lot of confidence and she will show us that this run is not a fluke. Trzymaj Kasia!

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
The depth is real.
Right now in the SF of ATP tournament player ranked in no. 455 is fighting in the 3rd set for the place in the final.
This is just the time when most of players are in US or are preparing for hard court season. It's a great chance for lower ranked players especially those who are in good form.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Right now in the SF of ATP tournament player ranked in no. 455 is fighting in the 3rd set for the place in the final.
This is just the time when most of players are in US or are preparing for hard court season. It's a great chance for lower ranked players especially those who are in good form.
Stebe is on PR, he's former top 100 player.

·
Registered
703 Posts
TF :help: it's not Premier tournament...and some ITF players lost in first rounds . I mean Garcia, Ostapenko, Siniakova, Cirstea, Pliskova and Sasnovich :lol: We can say that Barty won WTA International in Paris, cause her draw was pretty easy. Congrats to polish player. Maybe Buzarnescu case?
Barty did benefit from joke draw but it was all about top players flopping. There were no top players in Jurmala this week to begin with. And only 2 former top players in Garcia and Ostapenko who looked like they did not want to be there anyway.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Barty did benefit from joke draw but it was all about top players flopping. There were no top players in Jurmala this week to begin with. And only 2 former top players in Garcia and Ostapenko who looked like they did not want to be there anyway.
but it's not slam or Premier :help: just look at the draw in San Jose. and it's a reason why Ostapenko is playing doubles and withdrew from Premier San Jose :lol: dumb logic. we've plenty of similar WTA Internationals.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Stebe is on PR, he's former top 100 player.
Kawa is playing very well for a few weeks. So she's also not completely out of nowhere in the WTA final.
ATP players outside big 3 are very inconsistent right now too.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
What a run for Kaśka! Better than qf in Luxembourg for Piter in the past!

Pity that Sevastova is in the final tho

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
948 Posts
Those who follow Pera longer know how long she had big enough game to break to WTA but would always choke when it was time to make it to finals or win some random 25k.
Same happening now. She beat some high profile players in recent weeks easily like Garcia and Ostapenko and beat in form player Rybarikova here easily.
Yet when it was time to capitalize on it she looked like club player in both semifinals against lower ranked players.
Croatians always were and always will be chokers. Playing for the USA or AUS does not solve the problem.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts