66,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Julia´s schedule for the hardcourt season in spring:

Premier St. Petersburg
Premier 5 Doha
Premier Dubai
PM Indian Wells
PM Miami

She is concentrating on the big events, hope that the disappointing defeat against Cornet did not influence her too much, she was in great shape lately in general and I hope that she can continue like that!

St. Petersburg

1st round: [5] Görges vs. Sakkari
2nd round vs. Q/LL

Sakkari´s results since her SF run in Wuhan were not great but Julia lost to her before (on clay 2016), still not a bad draw here, some tricky Q/LL also but I hope that Julia can reach QF here at least, good luck!

·
Admin
66,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Julia´s 2018 Hard Court Spring! 1st station: St. Petersburg

won against Sakkari 62 76(5)

Some problems in 2nd set, too many wasted BPs there but her first serve really saved her today (33/35 pts won in total and even 21/21 in 2nd set)
Important that she was able to win her first match here after her disappointing defeat to Cornet in Melbourne, Vinci next, that one will be tricky also.

Vinci had a terrible 2017 but had decent wins in St. Petersburg so far and she won the title there two years ago, Julia played her three times so far and h2h is 0-3, really curious to see how Julia will handle it this time,
she will have to stay patient and she has to move pretty good also to be able to deal with Vinci´s slice, good luck!

·
Registered
14,619 Posts

Beat Vinci 5 and 0. Starting to rebuild the momentum she had before the AO.

·
Admin
66,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Julia :yeah:

Messy 1st set, in which she wasted too many chances but good play in 2nd set from what I saw, Vinci far from her best but Julia´s power was just too much in the end, important win for her after she was not able to win against Vinci before.

Rybakina next, powerful young Russian who had great wins so far in St. Petersburg but we´ll see if she is good enough already to play on such a high level for longer, Julia is definitely the favourite in this match but could be tricky also but good chances for the SF!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

I liked how Julia's serving was great today, a lot of aces, risky 2nd serves without any DFs. It saved her from losing the first set today.
The next match can be similar to what she played with another talented young Russian big hitter Vikhlyantseva in Moscow. It will be probably very tough task for Julia.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

So if Julia wins tomorrow against Rybakina, she will break into the Top 10 for the first time in her career :eek:

·
Admin
66,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

beats Rybakina 6/3 6/3 :yeah:

The young Russian started impressive with a 3-0 lead but Julia was able to improve slowly and Rybakina started to make some more UEs and also made some DFs in crucial moments, Julia herself was able to save several BPs with an ace, in general a good match against a tricky opponent!

Shame that Mladenovic started to win matches again just now, but still good chances for Julia to be top 10 after this week, we´ll see! ;)
It´s more important anyway that she is in another SF of a Premier Event again and that she was able to prove that she is still in good shape after Melbourne.

Kvitova or Ostapenko next, matches against Kvitova (who is leading in her match currently) are always interesting (h2h 1-2 but both defeats really close) although it´s almost impossible to beat peak Kvitova on indoor hard, anyway, nothing to lose tomorrow, good luck!!

·
Registered
55,971 Posts

·
Registered
55,971 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

I still remember the match between Julia and Petra in Fed Cup in 2012. That was such an epic encounter, because both played so well in that match. But tomorrow everything can happen, I keep fingers crossed for Julia.

·
Registered
14,619 Posts

This will be a tough one, I think. Petra can be very good, and Julia is hitting form again. I'm expecting fireworks but I'm not sure what will happen.

·
Admin
66,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

lost 57 64 26 to Kvitova!
Should have won the first set but she did not take her chances there unfortunately, good match from both in general, as expected, was unlucky here to face Kvitova in the SF but Julia had a good draw before at least and a good tournament from her still!!

Not that I have anything against Mladenovic but I don´t want her to win the title now, for obvious reasons! ;)

·
Registered
55,971 Posts

Julia :sobbing:

Top 10 must wait. Only if Petra wins the Final ...

Kvitova is a different player indoors. Very strong and hard to beat

·
Registered
14,619 Posts
Re: Julia´s 2018 Hard Court Spring! 1st station: St. Petersburg | lost SF to Kvitova

Quite an achievement for Julia to reach the top 10.

This could be the season of her life. She is finding her peak, she has reached a new level, I hope she can convert it into some big result in a slam. She needs to strike while the iron is hot. She missed a real chance at this year's AO, I'm hoping she will do something big in the remainder of the year.

Looking at clips of her, I am especially struck by how much her return of serve has improved. Taking the return of serve early and aggressively even with the backhand- she never used to be able to do this so well. I can only imagine quite a bit of work has gone into that- and it's a game changer for a big server like her.

It filters into the rallies too- she is more capable of taking the ball early in general now, giving her opponents less time to defend.

·
Admin
66,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Julia´s 2018 Hard Court Spring! 2nd station: Doha! 1st round vs Safarova

Görges def. Safarova 6/1 7/5

I only was able to catch the end but Julia looked quite good, 1st serve was really strong once again!
Safarova with almost 30 UEs herself, surely not easy for her after she just played Fed Cup indoors, as I said before, surely an advantage for Julia that she did not play FC this year.

Strycova next, pretty tough, h2h is 3-5 and last time that Julia won against her is over 2 years ago, I hope that she can turn it around this time but she has to stay consistent and mentally tough for sure if she wants to have a chance...

·
Admin
66,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Julia´s 2018 Hard Court Spring! 2nd station: Doha! 2nd round vs Strycova

Görges def. Strycova 62 36 61 :yeah:

Finally gets a win against Strycova again also, got broken only once today and good quality in general, from what i saw...
1st serve percentage was quite low, so hopefully she can serve a bit better tomorrow.

Buzarnescu, not Ostapenko, in next round, we´ll see how that goes, Julia definitely has the better serve and more power, she should try to keep the rallies short and hopefully she does not make too many UEs, good luck!

·
Admin
66,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Julia´s 2018 Hard Court Spring! 2nd station: Doha! 2nd round vs Strycova

Easy 6/2 6/2 win today! :)

Buzarnescu was quite bad today, from what I saw, but good level again from Julia, although she looks a bit tired in general...
Kvitova next again, who had many matches lately also and surely is not fresh anymore as well, curious to see how that one goes this time!

·
Admin
66,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Julia´s 2018 Hard Court Spring! 2nd station: Doha! QF against Kvitova

had to retire at 4-6 1-2 down due to a hip injury

She injured herself a few days ago while practicing, had to take pain killers all week but it got worse now, I just hope that it is not too bad, should get fit again for IW, I expect her to withdraw from next week for sure....

QF was a good result here, just a bad end with the injury

·
Admin
66,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Julia´s 2018 Hard Court Spring! 2nd station: Doha! QF against Kvitova

Julia is healthy again and back in action as 12th seed in Indian Wells! ;)

1st round: BYE
2nd round: Vikhlyantseva/Qualifier

Not an easy "first" round for her, the young Russian gave her some trouble already in Moscow and a Qualifier is always dangerous also, especially as Julia is coming back from a small injury, I hope that she finds her rhythm quickly, 3rd round could be against Sevastova, then Venus or Serena could wait, interesting draw with the option to go far, if she is in good shape, we´ll see!

·
Registered
55,971 Posts
Re: Julia´s 2018 Hard Court Spring! 3rd station: Indian Wells

Indian Wells

Viel Glück, Julia ! :)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts