Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,943 Posts
The main draw is out :bounce:

Kim Clijsters (BEL)
BYE

Yoon Jeong Cho (KOR)
Emilie Loit (FRA)

Katarina Srebotnik (SLO)
Maria Sharapova (RUS)

BYE
Nadia Petrova (RUS)

Silvia Farina Elia (ITA)
BYE

Shinobu Asagoe (JPN)
Qualifier

Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)
Magui Serna (ESP)

BYE
Jelena Dokic (YUG)

Chanda Rubin (USA)
BYE

Janette Husarova (SVK)
Rita Grande (ITA)

Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA)
Mary Pierce (FRA)

BYE
Francesca Schiavone (ITA)

Eleni Daniilidou (GRE)
BYE

Maria Sanchez Lorenzo (ESP)
Qualifier

Marion Bartoli (FRA)
Qualifier

BYE
Conchita Martinez (ESP)


Magdalena Maleeva (BUL)
BYE

Elena Likhovtseva (RUS)
Akiko Morigami (JPN)

Virginia Ruano Pascual (ESP)
Cara Black (ZIM)

BYE
Elena Dementieva (RUS)

Alexandra Stevenson (USA)
BYE

Viktoriya Kutuzova (RUS)
Lina Krasnoroutskaya (RUS)

Virginie Razzano (FRA)
Saori Obata (JPN)

BYE
Ai Sugiyama (JPN)

Amanda Coetzer (RSA)
BYE

Qualifier
Angela Haynes (USA)

Tina Pisnik (SLO)
Fabiola Zuluaga (COL)

BYE
Meghann Shaughnessy (USA)

Elena Bovina (RUS)
BYE

Paola Suarez (ARG)
Alicia Molik (AUS)

Barbara Schett (AUT)
Amy Frazier (USA)

BYE
Lindsay Davenport

=====

I don't really like it either Petrova or Sharapova in round3 :mad: But if she gets through that I think she should make the final
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,975 Posts
Kim is not playing in doubles!!

What does she needs to do to be sure to be number 1 now that she lost in San Diego!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come-on-kim said:
Kim is not playing in doubles!!

What does she needs to do to be sure to be number 1 now that she lost in San Diego!

Why is Kim not playing doubles :eek: She is defending champ

But on the ranks

Serena loses 65 points for a QF last year so goes to 5995
Kim has 5911 points, so she is 84 points behind, but cause her 17th total is 170 points from Scottsdale she is going to have to earn 255 points (170+85), so she virtually has to win the event, because she won't get much in bonus as there aren't many top tenners there.

So to look at the draw this is what has to happen:

R1 Bye
R2 Loit (46 = 10 ) Cho (48 = 10 ) so doesn't matter either
R3 Petrova (23 = 23)
QF Dokic (15 = 35)
SF Rubin (8 = 43)
F Davenport(4 = 55)

in brackets means (rank = bonus points)

So total bonus available = 166 + (points for winning tournament) 195 = 361

So if she makes final beating these players = 111 (bonus points) + 137 = 248 not enough

Okay I think Sharapova will beat Petrova and Dokic making the Qf is well it could be said doubtful but I think she will get past the players in her draw, but substituting Sharapova for Petrova, and still assuming Kim wins the tournament, she would still heav enough to get to 1.

So hope this ansers your question - basically she has to win the title, would have been much easier had she won San Diego :sad: :sad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,975 Posts
kim&lleytonrule said:
Why is Kim not playing doubles :eek: She is defending champ

But on the ranks

Serena loses 65 points for a QF last year so goes to 5995
Kim has 5911 points, so she is 84 points behind, but cause her 17th total is 170 points from Scottsdale she is going to have to earn 255 points (170+85), so she virtually has to win the event, because she won't get much in bonus as there aren't many top tenners there.

So to look at the draw this is what has to happen:

R1 Bye
R2 Loit (46 = 10 ) Cho (48 = 10 ) so doesn't matter either
R3 Petrova (23 = 23)
QF Dokic (15 = 35)
SF Rubin (8 = 43)
F Davenport(4 = 55)

in brackets means (rank = bonus points)

So total bonus available = 166 + (points for winning tournament) 195 = 361

So if she makes final beating these players = 111 (bonus points) + 137 = 248 not enough

Okay I think Sharapova will beat Petrova and Dokic making the Qf is well it could be said doubtful but I think she will get past the players in her draw, but substituting Sharapova for Petrova, and still assuming Kim wins the tournament, she would still heav enough to get to 1.

So hope this ansers your question - basically she has to win the title, would have been much easier had she won San Diego :sad: :sad:
yeah!! why didn't she win the title today?

If think she wants some rest!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,988 Posts
Good luck in L.A!!!!:bounce:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
:bounce: Good Luck Kimmie!!! :bounce:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
:bounce: Go Kim!!! :bounce:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,830 Posts
Hi everyone!! Here's an article about Kim ;)

Belgian accused of 'little faking'
From correspondents in Los Angeles
August 5, 2003

KIM CLIJSTERS doesn't make a habit of backing down on the tennis court, and she wasn't backing down today from her charge that fellow Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne isn't above a little gamesmanship in a tennis match.

Clijsters, who lost to Henin-Hardenne in the final at San Diego yesterday, denied that it was poor sportsmanship that prompted her to suggest that her opponent might not have needed an injury time out to treat blisters on her foot.

"It's her full right to do it," Clijsters said of the five-minute timeout which Henin-Hardenne took after losing the first set.

But she added: "Sometimes she was limping after a point that she lost, then next point she was running all the balls down. Those were like little signs where I thought maybe she's faking it a little bit."

Clijsters insisted she didn't intend to take anything away from Henin-Hardenne's performance.

"I have absolutely no problem saying that she was the better player – in the second and third set, she was so much better than I," said Clijsters. "I don't like losing, but I think I give a lot of credit to my opponents."

Clijsters has pretty stern views on playing hurt in any case.

"I think the first time I ever called a trainer on court was this year in Berlin, and I actually pulled my hamstring," said the 20-year-old, who could grab the world No.1 ranking this week in Los Angeles, where Henin-Hardenne isn't entered.

"You see it in a lot of matches, where players pull out when they're down 6-1 4-0. I think it takes some of the respect out of tennis," she said.

"Tennis is a physical sport, and you get injuries. Unless you break a leg or something, I don't think there's honestly a reason to pull out, unless you have the next week a big tournament coming up where you don't want to take any serious risk."

Source from foxsports.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
kim4eva said:
Hi everyone!! Here's an article about Kim ;)

Belgian accused of 'little faking'
From correspondents in Los Angeles
August 5, 2003

KIM CLIJSTERS doesn't make a habit of backing down on the tennis court, and she wasn't backing down today from her charge that fellow Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne isn't above a little gamesmanship in a tennis match.

Clijsters, who lost to Henin-Hardenne in the final at San Diego yesterday, denied that it was poor sportsmanship that prompted her to suggest that her opponent might not have needed an injury time out to treat blisters on her foot.

"It's her full right to do it," Clijsters said of the five-minute timeout which Henin-Hardenne took after losing the first set.

But she added: "Sometimes she was limping after a point that she lost, then next point she was running all the balls down. Those were like little signs where I thought maybe she's faking it a little bit."

Clijsters insisted she didn't intend to take anything away from Henin-Hardenne's performance.

"I have absolutely no problem saying that she was the better player – in the second and third set, she was so much better than I," said Clijsters. "I don't like losing, but I think I give a lot of credit to my opponents."

Clijsters has pretty stern views on playing hurt in any case.

"I think the first time I ever called a trainer on court was this year in Berlin, and I actually pulled my hamstring," said the 20-year-old, who could grab the world No.1 ranking this week in Los Angeles, where Henin-Hardenne isn't entered.

"You see it in a lot of matches, where players pull out when they're down 6-1 4-0. I think it takes some of the respect out of tennis," she said.

"Tennis is a physical sport, and you get injuries. Unless you break a leg or something, I don't think there's honestly a reason to pull out, unless you have the next week a big tournament coming up where you don't want to take any serious risk."

Source from foxsports.com
I absolute understand Kim!!! :yeah:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
I have mixed feelings...I would love for Kim to win this tournament and become #1.

At the same time, Kim was clearly worn out against Justine, and she has two weeks of tennis left. If she does well at both tournaments, I think that is too much tennis heading into the Open. That one week isn't going to be enough rest, and we will see Kim worn out in the SF or final.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,975 Posts
If she wins this, i hope she'll withdraw from Toronto
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If Kim beat Loit, she will have to play sharpova as she just beat Petrova 7-5 in the 3rd set.

Sharpova will have ad a rest day , while kim won't have. This could be a very big danger match for Kim. Hope Kim can pull it out.
 
1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top