Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 634 Posts

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here it is!:wavey: THE Biggest tournament of the year. Perhaps you people don't realize how much is on the line, so let me break down the way the ranking points work;) .

Winner-600 points
Runner Up-400 points
Semi-Finalist-250
For EACH Round Robin Match Won-add 100 points
For EACH Round Robin Match Lost-add 50 points

So now you know just how much is on the line. Remember, Anna is defending a whopping 900 points here (martina 600 or 700) so there is little if anything for them to gain. Remember we are on carpet, and that we ARE in the Big Apple;) . Thus, without further ado, let me make the draw for the biggest culminating event in Fantasy Sports History:D !

THE MARTINA NAVRATILOVA GROUP

Anna Kournikova:
Nationality: Russian
Fantasy Season Ranking: 1
Season 2 Record: 29-10
Season Two Results:
Tokyo-Finalist
Sydney-R16
Australian Open-Champion
Moscow-R16
Rome-R16
Roland Garros-Quarter-Finalist
Zurich-Champion
Brussels-R16
Wimbledon-Champion
Indian Wells-Finalist
Miami-Quarter-Finalist
US Open-Finalist
Chicago-Quarter-Finalist
Philadelphia-Champion

Jennifer Capriati:
Nationality: American
Fantasy Season Ranking: 3
Season 2 Record: 29-11
Season Two Results:
Tokyo-Champion
Sydney-Semi-Finalist
Australian Open-Quarter-Finalist
Moscow-Champion
Rome-Champion
Dublin-Semi-Finalist
Brussels-Semi-Finalist
Wimbledon-Quarter-Finalist
San Diego-Semi-Finalist
Miami-R16
US Open-R16
Toronto-Semi-Finalist
Philadelphia-Quarter-Finalist

Amanda Coetzer:
Nationality: South African
Fantasy Season Ranking: 5
Season 2 Record: 23-13
Season Two Results:
Tokyo-Quarter-Finalist
Sydney-Finalist
Australian Open-Quarter-Finalist
Moscow-Quarter-Finalist
Rome-Semi-Finalist
Roland Garros-Semi-Finalist
Zurich-R16
London-Semi-Finalist
Wimbledon-R32
Indian Wells-Semi-Finalist
Miami-Finalist
US Open-R16
Chicago-Champion
Philadelphia-Quarter-Finalist

Elena Dementieva:
Fantasy Season Ranking: 8
Season 2 Record: 19-12
Season Two Results:
Tokyo-DNP
Sydney-Quarter-Finalist
Australian Open-R32
Moscow-R32
Madrid-Champion
Roland Garros-R16
Zurich-Quarter-Finalist
London-Quarter-Finalist
Wimbledon-Semi-Finalist
San Diego-R16
Houston-Quarter-Finalist (1 win)
US Open-Quarter-Finalist (2 wins)
Toronto-Semi-Finalist (2 wins)
Philadelphia-R16 (1 win)

THE CHRIS EVERT GROUP

Martina Hingis:
Nationality: Swiss
Fantasy Season Ranking: 2
Season 2 Record: 30-13
Season Two Results:
Tokyo-Quarter-Finalist
Sydney-R16
Australian Open-Semi-Finalist
Moscow-Finalist
Rome-Quarter-Finalist
Roland Garros-Finalist
Zurich-Semi-Finalist
Brussels-Finalist
Indian Wells-Quarter-Finalist
Miami-Semi-Finalist
US Open-Champion
Chicago-Finalist
Philadelphia-Finalist

Elena Bovina:
Fantasy Season Ranking: 1
Season 2 Record: 23-11
Season Two Results:
Tokyo-R32
Sydney-R32
Australian Open-R16
Moscow-R16
Madrid-R16
Roland Garros-Champion
Dublin-R16
Brussels-Champion
Wimbledon-Semi-Finalist
Indian Wells-Quarter-Finalist
Houston-Finalist
US Open-R32
Toronto-Champion
Philadelphia-Semi-Finalist

Daniela Hantuchova:
Nationality: Thai
Fantasy Season Ranking: 6
Season 2 Record: 21-12
Season Two Results:
Tokyo-Quarter-Finalist
Sydney-Champion
Australian Open-R32
Moscow-Semi-Finalist
Rome-R16
Zurich-R16
Brussels-Quarter-Finalist
Wimbledon-R32
Indian Wells-Champion
Houston-R16
US Open-Quarter-Finalist
Toronto-Semi-Finalist
Philadelphia-R16

Serena Williams:
Nationality: American
Fantasy Season Ranking: 7
Season 2 Record: 14-14
Season Two Results:
Tokyo-R16
Sydney-R16
Australian Open-Finalist
Moscow-R32
Rome-R16
Roland Garros-R32
Zurich-Quarter-Finalist
Brussels-Semi-Finalist
Indian Wells-R16
Miami-Quarter-Finalist
US Open-Quarter-Finalist
Chicago-R16
Philadelphia-R16

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Oh no!!!!!!! Martina in the most difficult group!!

Good luck everyone this week! :D

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Win/Loss Percentages This year:

Anna Kournikova: .744
Martina Hingis: .698
Jennifer Capriati: .725
Elena Bovina: .676
Amanda Coetzer: .639
Daniela Hantuchova: .636
Serena Williams: .500
Elena Dementieva: .613

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EVERYONE MUST WRITE ONE 150+ word interview/article (with picture) this week, because i will be on vacation, which means no results:sad: .

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Schedule of Play

Monday, June 23, 2003:
Martina Hingis vs. Serena Williams
-followed by-
Anna Kournikova vs. Elena Dementieva
-followed by-
Jennifer Capriati vs. Amanda Coetzer

Tuesday, June 24, 2003
Elena Bovina vs. Daniela Hantuchova
-followed by-
Anna Kournikova vs. Amanda Coetzer
-followed by-
Jennifer Capriati vs. Elena Dementieva

Wednesday, June 25, 2003:
Martina Hingis vs. Daniela Hantuchova
-followed by-
Elena Bovina vs. Serena Williams
-followed by
Amanda Coetzer vs. Elena Dementieva

Thursday, June 26, 2003
Martina Hingis vs. Elena Bovina
-followed by-
Daniela Hantuchova vs. Serena Williams
-followed by-
Anna Kournikova vs. Jennifer Capriati

Friday, June 27, 2003:
Martina Hingis/Anna Kournikova vs. Steffi Graf/Amelie Mauresmo
-followed by-
Serena Williams/Marta Marrero vs. Jennifer Capriati/Ai Sugiyama
-followed by-
Martina Navratilova #1 vs. Chris Evert #2
-followed by-
Martina Navratilova #2 vs. Chris Evert #1

Saturday, June 27, 2003
Doubles Finals
-followed by-
Singles Finals

POINTS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE FIRST BALL OF THE MATCH IS STRUCK!!!! (matches should start c. 9:00AM each day)

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
WoW, Serena has the worst record of them all, what else is new?? :rolleyes: :eek:

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I forgot to add: all matches will be done with LIVE SCORING:hearts: !!!!!!!! I will let you all know how to determine exactly what points your opponent used when the matches start. Thus, match statistics will be provided, but my usual advice will not be provided.

·
Banned
96 Posts
I'm just reminding everyone to write something here... because Matt will be sad when he comes back. :sad:

I'll have my write-up on here tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Monica Seles said in a press release,"I think either Martina or Elena Bovina will win. The only reason I'm not participating is because I have to go and train for Miss Universe 2004."

·
Banned
54 Posts

This week, the tennis world congregates at the "World's Most Famous Sports Arena" Madison Square Garden, for the JP Morgan Chase Cup of Champions. The top 8 players in the world, the elite of the elite, will display all their talents to receive the prestigious honor of being called, "Champion".

This honored clan of 8 is being split into groups... and we will introduce you to the first group... the Martina Navratilova group, which is undoubtedly the weaker of the two.

MARTINA NAVRATILOVA GROUP

Anna Kournikova

Anna Kournikova, the undisputed #1 player so far this year, with her 2 Grand Slam victories (Australian Open & Wimbledon)... she's come a long way from the player last year who lost 10 straight matches! Anna has been the #1 player all year, and has never looked back... but she will have to do as well as Martina Hingis here to retain her spot at the top of Fantasy Season. However, even with her 3 titles this year, and 6 finals appearances, Anna still has consistency issues... as she often slacks off in the early rounds, assuming she can just walk on the court and victory is hers.

PREDICTION: Anna should have no problem finishing Top 2 in this group, and moving on to the Semifinals. She should really go 3-0 against Jenny, Amanda, and Elena. Anna's real test will start in the SF's... where she will have to play the likes of Hingis, Bovina, or Hantuchova. I expect her to lose then... because all 3 of those players are hungry for victory, and know how to beat Anna.

Jennifer Capriati

Jennifer Capriati, the #3 player in the world. This is reportedly, Jennifer's last tournament at Fantasy Season... but we sincerely hope it is not. Jennifer is an extremely talented player, and she is definitely amongst the best in the game, when she puts her heart into it. Jennifer introduced herself to FS at Tokyo this year with a title, and she continued her dominate the 1st half of the season with 2 more wins in Moscow and Rome. Then, the tour changed its ways, allowing players more leeway to change their strategies between matches... and Jennifer lost her love for the game, gradually struggling the rest of the season... and when we reached her weaker surfaces on hardcourt and carpet, Jenny couldn't even win matches in Tier II events. Even though Jenny is coming into Champions Cup with little confidence, we hope she puts all her effort into it this week.

PREDICTION: If Jenny plays to her full ability, she should have no trouble finishing Top 2 in this group. However, Jenny may just throw in the towel here... which would leave this section wide open. We shall see.

Amanda Coetzer

Amanda Coetzer, the #5 player in the world. Amanda finally broke into the winners' circle, two weeks ago in Chicago, but she has been a consistent performer all year, with 5 Finalist appeances, and 8 Semifinalist finishes. Even though Amanda's game suits the slow courts, she still can annoy all players with her moonballing, and being a general pest on the court. However, Amanda is also arguably the most stubborn player on tour... only sticking with 1 strategy, and never listening to advice from others... and her anti-social ways with the press, always refusing to do interviews, unless she wins tournaments.

PREDICTION: If Amanda adds some diversity to her game, she can easily reach the Semifinals... but even if she doesn't, it still may be good enough with her carpet prowess. In my opinion, I don't think Amanda will get through this section... as the Russian girls here, may be too much for her to handle.

Elena Dementieva

Elena Dementieva, the #8 player in the world. Dementieva backdoored her way into Champions Cup... with consistent performances in Tier II tournaments, a win in Madrid, and taking advantage of top players' injuries in the Grand Slams. Even though Elena is a relative newbie to Fantasy Season, she has a firm grasp on the way Fantasy Season is played, and is capable of beating anyone on tour. The problem is... Elena has yet to prove she can win big matches, against the best players while on their game... and she'll have to do that here.

PREDICTION: Elena is the right group to reach the Semifinals. I personally think Elena will finally make her mark on the tour, and finish Top 2 in this group... over an unconfident Capriati, and stubborn Coetzer. However, if she plays Hingis, Bovina, or Hantuchova in the SF's... Dementieva is dead meat.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Now, we will introduce you to the stronger group, The Chris Evert group.

CHRIS EVERT GROUP

Martina Hingis

Martina Hingis, the #2 player in the world. I don't think anyone can argue that Martina has the best the most dedicated player in FS, for the longest time. Her consistency on tour is astonishing, she has reached the QF's in 13 of 14 tournaments this year! When players see the name "Hingis" on their side of the draw, they know they're in for a battle. Martina's only weakness, if you call it one, is winning tournaments... and she's still only managed 1 win at the US Open. I just think that's a case of extremely bad luck though, as if she keeps up her great play... the wins win come plentifully.

PREDICTION: Even though I think Hingis is undoubtedly the best player on tour... this group is brutal... with Bovina and Hantuchova. Martina doesn't have the best record against the top players on tour, and that may bite her here. I expect her to get through... but it will be a battle.

Elena Bovina

Elena Bovina, the #4 player in the world. Ah Lena, how boring this tour would be without your cockiness, and arrogance. Bovina was a nobody for the first half of the year... until she shocked the world at Roland Garros, winning her 1st title and Grand Slam there. From then on, Lena has been a major force in Fantasy Season... with wins in Brussels and Toronto, plus consistent finishes nearly every week. Lena's one weakness is that she is also stubborn at times... always insisting on taking the initiative, and trying to embarass her opponent. However, Lena has definitely proven that she is up there with the likes of Kournikova and Hingis.

PREDICTION: Ugh... I wish I was in the other group. Amongst Bovina, Hingis, and Hantuchova... only 2 of us can reach the Semifinals. Bovina is very dedicated to winning here, however... and she expects victory. :)

Daniela Hantuchova

Daniela Hantuchova, the #6 player in the world. Even though Hantuchova hasn't had the most consistent results this year, and only 1 title, she is still a very dangerous player. When Hantuchova puts full effort into her game, she's amongst the best. She has the ability to beat the best players like Hingis and Kournikova, with her always changing strategies. The Thai is definitely a player that will be moving up the rankings, if her mind stays in the game.

PREDICTION: With Bovina and Hingis in this section... it will be difficult to finish Top 2 and reach the Semifinals... but Dani can do it. This group is going to be a battle with many great matches.

Serena Williams

Serena Williams, the #7 player in the world. Ummm... she got to the finals of the Australian Open, and that somehow got her enough points to get here. Serena has no confidence in her game, and she thinks she sucks. She's the most negative player ever. I have no idea how she made it to Champions Cup, in all honesty. :p

PREDICTION: I'll be frank here... Serena has no chance of reaching the Semifinals. Bovina, Hingis, and Hantuchova will be way too much for Serena... she will go 0-3... and bitch about how much she sucks while doing it. :p

·
Registered
25,276 Posts
A-Rod#1Fan said:

Elena Dementieva

Elena Dementieva, the #8 player in the world. Dementieva backdoored her way into Champions Cup... with consistent performances in Tier II tournaments, a win in Madrid, and taking advantage of top players' injuries in the Grand Slams.
ehem... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 634 Posts