Tennis Forum banner

201 - 220 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I daresay all the drama and the long break disrupted Pironkova's rhythm. Mind you, it can't have done a lot for Jo either!

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Jo takes it. What a fighter.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Yay Jo!

Omg! Jo actually collapsed???? So glad she's alright.. These really are gruelling conditions.
Yes, it looked really scary. She was lying on the floor for several minutes. They took her blood pressure and temperature and so on. How she managed to continue, let alone win, is beyond me.

·
Registered
11,809 Posts
Yay Jo!

Omg! Jo actually collapsed???? So glad she's alright.. These really are gruelling conditions.
Yes, it looked really scary. She was lying on the floor for several minutes. They took her blood pressure and temperature and so on. How she managed to continue, let alone win, is beyond me.
Just saw the replay... Really scary but she did the right thing asking for the ice towels to get her body temp down. What mental resilience to come back from that and win. :bowdown:

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Just saw the replay... Really scary but she did the right thing asking for the ice towels to get her body temp down. What mental resilience to come back from that and win. :bowdown:
She's certainly improved in that department, even in te last few months. When she fell over at Eastbourne she was upset and didn't she then go on to lose the match? This time, which was much worse, she came back and won.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Interesting and a bit worrying that every time Jo hits the ball she appears to be putting twice as much effort into it as Sevastova does. Sevastova has a very smooth swing but generates pace with accuracy, whereas Jo's extra effort is only generating inaccuracies & errors.

0-3. 0-40. So far being outplayed to the same extent that she destroyed Bencic

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Maybe Jo is settling down a bit - came back to hold from 0-40. I am sure Sevastova had a bit of a limp during that game but it has disappeared at the moment, temporarily?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hmm. Jo is settling down a lot more. Broke back and held for 3-3. Not totally relaxed and comfortable but a big improvement on the first 3 1/2 games.

Sevastova is definitely taking slightly shortened steps off her left foot. Considering she started so well she has a real dispirited look on her face

This reminds me very much of the final a few weeks ago when Jo was expected to win but didn't - Jo is battling herself as well as her opponent, losing the seventh game to go 3-4.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
What a mess. From getting back into it to losing serve again with as poor a game as you would not wish to see. 3-5 so obviously needs to get the break back

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Jo is playing terribly. I hope she can get it together soon.

·
Milk and honey
3,275 Posts
NID she would lose this. I knew she couldn't play as well as she did against Belinda and Sevastova has been playing well all year and has had the tournament of her life. Nothing Jo can do playing this poorly. So many balls into the net. At least her opponent is playing well and has a nice game.

I felt Kucova teas before this one even started :lol: at least Sevastova isn't a boring talentless pusher, and can really play. Those dropshots :bigclap:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Jo definitely seems to have a problem playing 'unknowns' that keep the ball in play. She either gets more frustrated and inaccurate or more tentative, letting the opponent put pressure on from inside the baseline

201 - 220 of 248 Posts