Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From cnnsi.com
---
Both within and outside the WTA Tour, Stevenson became something of a punch line after reaching the Wimbledon semis in 1999 and then losing with tidal predictability. (Much of the hard feelings were caused by Alexandra's -- how to say this? -- hyper-attentive mother, Samantha.) As for her tennis, while Alexandra had some juice on her serve and a picturesque one-handed backhand, her game had gaping holes. To her credit, though, she played through the troughs, worked on her weaknesses (footwork and footspeed being the two most glaring) and has emerged as a pretty fair player. I saw about 45 minutes of her quarterfinal match in Memphis last week and was pretty impressed. Her serve is a real weapon and she made minimal errors off the ground, beating Sylvia Talaja (a respectable opponent) in three sets. Stevenson is also at her best on faster courts. There's still work to be done before she comes close to the top 10 -- or, for that matter, replicating her feat of reaching a Grand Slam semi -- but she deserves credit for the vast improvements she's made.
---
Good article and I hope that Alex stays solid in her game as well.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Wow he bestows praise? I usually get to the Seles-hating and quit reading anything he has to say after that.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
It is a nice article, TeeRexx.

I think he makes important observations that could explain why anyone expecting Alex to perform at the level of the Williams right now might be disappointed.

I think that in time Alex will deliver even better results than she's had in the past. The Memphis experience will only help.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Hes being nice to a player:eek:

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Wertheim hasn't been mean to Monica-he just doesn't think she can win a slam anymore, and until Monica proves him wrong he's right. One only has to read "Venus Envy" to know he regards Monica very highly.

I don't see Stevenson as top 10 anytime soon, but Alex will be someone to watch at Wimbledon;)

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I think the Wimbledon debut and the publicity fiasco that followed really hurt Stevenson's chances to really improve the flaws in her game. Since the 9-11 attacks in NYC where she lost a close friend, Stevenson has matured and improved her game a great deal. Making the final in Memphis demonstrates that she is on the right track. Now she needs to go that extra mile.

Good luck to Alex for the rest of the season!:)

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
I was very surprised to see what Jon has written about Alex. I haven't read his column in the longest time and I'm glad he decided to be fair for once and write something complimentary.

Alex has improved so much lately... I'm predicting that she will win her first singles title at Birmingham in June. I also think she will be the player none of the top guns want to face at Wimbledon this year....

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Rollo said:
Wertheim hasn't been mean to Monica-he just doesn't think she can win a slam anymore, and until Monica proves him wrong he's right. One only has to read "Venus Envy" to know he regards Monica very highly.

I don't see Stevenson as top 10 anytime soon, but Alex will be someone to watch at Wimbledon;)
You forgot "greedy". That one didn'r really come up too often until the Slam prediction started looking a bit more uncertain. (Oddly, I haven't heard the Slam prediction anytime recently)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't usually give Worthless much credit because I think he is a bad writer who tries too hard to be funny (usually at the expense of a player, which isn't fair, in my opinion).:p In other words, I think he's a nasty piece of work.:mad:

However, I was pleased and surprised at what he wrote about Alex. Maybe he's becoming a bit more mellow.:cool:

I don't think Alex will be top 10 anytime soon but I do agree that she will be a dangerous floater at Wimbledon. I think all of the top women (except Venus, of course) will be unhappy to meet her early.:eek: And, I also believe she will win a tournament soon.:hearts: At least, I hope she will.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Nice article. I've always thought Alexandra would improve in consistency, fitness and general outlook if that mother of hers could be kept quiet for a while. Does anyone know if she has a permanent coach who might be providing a more stable figure in her life than her parent(s) seem to have managed?

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Alex rules!She will be a top 10 player one day though!Weeeee!!:bounce:

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
She supposedly went back to Pete Fischer after his release, and worked on the basics he taught her. And now, I hear Ray Ruffels is coaching her. That would explain a lot.

Funny how he gets around to praising her now, when the signs were evident last fall. It's only after the big splash of the Memphis final that she finally gets credit for her work.

Not bad, for an "unathletic" player.

I just got his book from the local library. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and, if anything, my opinion of him is even lower than it was before. Between the factual inaccuracies, and his non-existent knowledge of the technical side of the game, this book is definitely on my "must not buy" list so far.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Number1Kim - that was the general consensus about a year ago, and it's notable that since her push last autumn, Samantha Stevenson's been out of sight (and out of mind).

·
Registered
15,719 Posts
What else was he supposed to do. When the results are staring you in the face, you can either join the bandwagon or begin to look foolish. I tend to read his column not for the comments but for what the fans are feeling at the moment.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Where does Wertheim call her "greedy" DH? He says she likes to earn money, that's a bit diferent from greed IMO. If that's the WORST thing he says, be grateful. His job isn't making every "fan" happy, it's in giving his opinion and getting readers. Yes, he's often wrong, but at least he ha sa sense of humor about it:)

I found "Venus Envy" enjoyable. Yes, like Brian says-it's flawed, but it's a fun read and could bring more fans to the game, which is what we need. It's a rare year when we get a book covering a year on the women's tour.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts